Yet Another AKG K-501 Appreciation thread!!!
Mar 12, 2011 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

qubyts

Head-Fier
First a little background so i don't sound overexcited and completely out of my depth.

I've been into the audiophile scene since i was about 10 years old, I was introduced to it by my brother, and ever since i've had the bug to always try to get a better, more accurate and more realistic sound, as almost all of us do. So strong was this urge that it led me to study Audio Engineering. So this has been quite a ride...Many joys, a few deceptions :p ...But most important i never forgot i shouldn't be over analyzing the music i listen to.

I've auditioned and owned absolutely great and most of the time ridiculously expensive equipment. So a few years ago I moved abroad and was forced to sell my loudspeaker system, which down the road led me to get into headphones :). My brother got a pair of HD800's and on vacation i had a listen....Revelation!!!!! Headphones are awesome!!!! Then the bug bit me again..... Frenetic search for the best value.... And Bammmm I buy a pair of Grado's... I was pretty happy with them but wasn't enough. So I bought an Amp also. And this was all in a tight budget basis. But it kept on making be crave the sound of my brother's 800's. So i start looking again... and listening to everything i can from friends stashes. HE-4 HE-6 , Ultrasone ed8, a vintage set of K1000's HF2's and an HF1. The ones i liked the most was the K1000. So a last week sold me a pair of NOS K501's....Really nice out of the box!!!!! I thought they were great.Everything i had read about them was true and more. The expression and detail on these cans was incredible very close to the grados. But little did i know that when i got new Sylvania gold brands for my Litlle Dot MK2, was about the time the burn in was done.
          So this is what it comes down to...
          These headphones are absolutely amazing!!!! The bass is there now, the stage is double as deep,as wide and tall, the highs don't roll of anymore... This is at the time being my favorite headphones, over any other can i have ever heard with exception of the K1000's. Even my brother was absolutely soiled!!! :) I'm sure the Sylvanias helped a lot, but the essence of the great sound that comes out of these beauties had to be there already.
          So after years of going through equipment I finally landed the absolute joy of a perfect acquisition !!! I would strongly recommend these cans to everyone that is into really enjoying 
their music!!!

If you had similar experiences with these headphones please share :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back