Yesterday i bought a pair of Beats Solo HD .....
Mar 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 58
They don't leak much, but everyone here will tell you to get something else for your money. Pratically speaking, there are better options in every aspect for that money, even in leakage/isolation.

May 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 58

Quote:
I listen to pretty much only hip-hop/rap. I recently bought the shure 840s and they don't really sound that good at all. Do you think the beats hd solo are better then the shure 840 for JUST rap. Or am i using the 840s wrong, like i dont have an amp yet and i haven't done burn in so will the quality improve significantly after i do both of those. (Do the beats solo hd need an amp?)

Also, do you think the beats by dre would be more comfortable?

i listen to heavy metal and i agree with you, i got to listen to the beats solo hd's at futureshop today and i preferred them to my shure srh840. they were also a big improvement on the studios imo as i couldn't stand the studios. i listened to teh demo rap song and it sounded great to me so i think you would like them, don't take anyone on here's beats bias to seriously, most of them haven't even tried them.

May 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 58
My first post on HF...
Well, after monts of silent reading, and reading that almost everyone hated Beats Solo, I went for a pair...
I'm not an expert, even the newbie word fits too large on me, so I can say I don't understand anything in headphones area, but must say Beats sound good to me, much better than anything else I have had. And they work perfectly with Apple iDevices, either iPod (classic, mini, shuffle) or iPhone 4.
Can anyone suggest a good, portable (cheap?) amp for iPod classic. I've read plenty, and think E7/E11 or Cmoys are a good compromise.
Thanks.

May 13, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #19 of 58

Quote:
My first post on HF...
Well, after monts of silent reading, and reading that almost everyone hated Beats Solo, I went for a pair...
I'm not an expert, even the newbie word fits too large on me, so I can say I don't understand anything in headphones area, but must say Beats sound good to me, much better than anything else I have had. And they work perfectly with Apple iDevices, either iPod (classic, mini, shuffle) or iPhone 4.
Can anyone suggest a good, portable (cheap?) amp for iPod classic. I've read plenty, and think E7/E11 or Cmoys are a good compromise.
Thanks.

I can not recommend the Fiio E7 enough. Not sure with Cmoys, although they have a great reputation.

May 13, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #20 of 58
cmoys are great, and cheap. But the new Fiio E11 has been getting a lot of hype. I only have a cmoy, and i love it. As for the beats, i'm not a fan, too much bass, and way too over priced. I like my AKG's and i want some shure SRH440 next. But i mainly listen to rock, so beats are NOT for me.

May 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #21 of 58

Quote:
i listen to heavy metal and i agree with you, i got to listen to the beats solo hd's at futureshop today and i preferred them to my shure srh840. they were also a big improvement on the studios imo as i couldn't stand the studios. i listened to teh demo rap song and it sounded great to me so i think you would like them, don't take anyone on here's beats bias to seriously, most of them haven't even tried them.

It's  all depending upon your taste of music and your listening skill. I can buy the Beats either Pro or Solos at a very good discount but I do not listen to Rap,Hiphop, Techno...so they do not offer me any special value added.  I do not believe Diana Krall would sound any better with the Beats than My Senn or AKG but it could be worse. YMMV.

May 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #22 of 58

Quote:

I seriously hope you're trolling, you even nailed the "teh" thing pretty well.

1) The Studios are an improvement over the Solos. They're more expensive. Supposedly better, since both suck.

2) Actually I think by now everyone has tried them, they're everywhere.

3) A headphones quality isn't how well it reproduces a type of music. Hip-Hop is based almost  all on bass. I don't understand how you can feel that way, coming from 2 great Shure models.

May 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #23 of 58

Quote:
I seriously hope you're trolling, you even nailed the "teh" thing pretty well.

1) The Studios are an improvement over the Solos. They're more expensive. Supposedly better, since both suck.

2) Actually I think by now everyone has tried them, they're everywhere.

3) A headphones quality isn't how well it reproduces a type of music. Hip-Hop is based almost  all on bass. I don't understand how you can feel that way, coming from 2 great Shure models.

I can assure you that was a typo. But on topic of this discussion i do feel that way.my Shure SRH840 gives me a headache while the beats don't. Do they lack details? Yes they do but it is in a way that is more enjoyable. Maybe it was just the demo station but they sound fine to me. I am not a troll, am i not allowed to have an opinion?

PS: the beats sound like what I expected from high end headphones while my Shure doesn't. I expected everything to be smooth not harsh and I wanted it to be clear and not sibilant.

May 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 58
Well I'm sorry. As you can imagine, I've seen a lot of your posts, and I know you've had the opposite opinion about the Beats that you have now, and that did seem like trolling. It's not an offense, I actually like trolling ^^ this is one of those cases where I only wish you can be happy with your music and how it's played, but I can't think how you can enjoy lack of detail. It's not your problem, you like it and that's great, it's just weird to me, since about 98% of what we read on Head-Fi is on the opposite track.

May 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #25 of 58

Quote:
Well I'm sorry. As you can imagine, I've seen a lot of your posts, and I know you've had the opposite opinion about the Beats that you have now, and that did seem like trolling. It's not an offense, I actually like trolling ^^ this is one of those cases where I only wish you can be happy with your music and how it's played, but I can't think how you can enjoy lack of detail. It's not your problem, you like it and that's great, it's just weird to me, since about 98% of what we read on Head-Fi is on the opposite track.

I hadn't tried the solo's and I had always felt the pros were decent.

May 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 58
Ok, I have not tried the Ultrasone Pro 900, but let me give you an analogy from what I've read around here... it's like asking me if you should get a Scooter or a Lamborghini =) the Pro 900 are revered as the God of closed bassy cans. A guy once said it was like being inside a club. The pros are nice, and have much more detail than either the Solos or the Studios, and the mids and highs aren't all that bad. But I still think the Pro 900 can beat them anyday, if you're into bass. Again, I only tried the Beats Pro, not the Ultrasone Pro 900.

May 13, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #29 of 58
How well do the solo HD's really isolate though? How do you think they would fair in an NYC subway? I see people with them all the time in the train and I wonder how they could really enjoy their music with all the noise but then again... I've never tried them in a subway train. 

And can anyone comment on how the phones do with other genres other than hip hop, such as alternative rock/80's synth/electronic/classical? (Sorry if this has been covered). So weird, I had a dream with the solos just the other night and how comfy they are, and here I am reading some good impressions. If only they weren't that expensive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back