Yay!!!! Just ordered a MDR-XB1000 from Japan for $349 delivered.
Feb 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #31 of 106
quantity is almost equal but it has way better quality like comparing 8' sub vs 12' sub
mids are better but needs an eq to bring out the best
highs are detailed enough without being sibilant
bass never sounded this good

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #32 of 106
What source and do you use any amp?

Would probably be best if you could write your impressions or review or whatever so we don't have to bug you with all these questions. If it's not too much to ask ofc. :p

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #33 of 106
Oh you lucky guy. :) please post more pictures. Perhaps some with other cans next to it.

Is the ear pad as soft as the XB700? Did you order yours from Japan? Are they Made in Thailand or Japan?

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #34 of 106

Quote:
What source and do you use any amp?

Would probably be best if you could write your impressions or review or whatever so we don't have to bug you with all these questions. If it's not too much to ask ofc. :p

it sounds fine out of my x7 hp out but definitely sounds better with my e7/e9 combo
detailed impressions coming up tomorrow

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #35 of 106

Quote:
Oh you lucky guy.
smily_headphones1.gif
please post more pictures. Perhaps some with other cans next to it.

Is the ear pad as soft as the XB700? Did you order yours from Japan? Are they Made in Thailand or Japan?

pics tom too lazy to get cam
yes its the same material and softness. still super comfy
from japan and made in thailand
build quality is good

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #36 of 106
What kind of current does E7+E9 combo provide for such a low impedance as 24 ohm? I'd imagine this headphone would want at least something along 800mW to shine and the bass would probably get even more thunderous, 70mm drivers probably want quite a lot of current and not all amps deliver that high current at low impedance. I wonder how much you have to pay and what amps to look at which are good alternatives for low impedance / high current output, is Little Dot I+ good enough or would we have to go even more expensive? I do think Little Dot I+ in my eyes looks like a very great bang-for-buck choice for this headphone, according to the specs it puts out 800mW at 32 ohm so maybe even a little more at 24 ohm. The design/look even would fit perfectly with it. :p

Little Dot I+ specs http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=101&S_id2=2&s_id=24

Looks like I'd have to use an RCA -> Stereo converter when plugging it into my soundcard though. What you guys think?

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #37 of 106

This is what my Lehmann Audio can do.  I don't know if that's a lot of power or not.​

​

Technical Details​

Input impedance: 47 KOhms 
Maximum gain: 0dB, 10dB, 20dB switchable underneath the unit 
Frequency response: 10Hz (-0.3dB) to 35 kHz (-1dB) 
Signal to noise ratio: >95dB at 0dB gain 
THD: <0.001% at 6mW/300 Ohms 
Channel separation: >70dB/10kHz 
Output power: 200mW/300 Ohms, 400mW/60 Ohms 
Output impedance: line out 60 Ohms, phones out 5 Ohms 
Power dissipation: <5W, internal, regulated power supply 
Dimensions: 280 x 110 x 44mm3 (case only) 
Connectors (audio): Neutrik phone jacks 6.35mm with gold plated contacts 
- 1x parallel to line out 
- 1x line out muting 
- gold plated RCA connectors with Teflon isolation 
Weight: app. 1.5 kg 
Front colors: silver or black anodized aluminium 

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #38 of 106
Looking forward to the review, also RPGWiZaRd i'm also pretty itching to see your take on them so get them soon.

Afterall your posts were one of the chief reason why i chose the xb500 :fear:

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #39 of 106

Quote:
Looking forward to the review, also RPGWiZaRd i'm also pretty itching to see your take on them so get them soon.

Afterall your posts were one of the chief reason why i chose the xb500 :fear:

I won't get XB1000 unless I'm certain it has the kind of sound I prefer, I know very well what kind of sound I prefer at this point and XB500 looks to be very close to it. My major concerns about XB1000 would be that the deep/upper bass isn't as balanced as on XB500 and the deep bass is heavily dominating like already is the case with XB700 as the bigger drivers usually the deeper bass focus (altough there exists headphones like HFI-580 that also use 50mm drivers and still have stronger upper bass output compared to very deep so it can still vary). Also I'm worried about the mids aren't forward enough and that the highs might be brighter than what I concider optimal and that overall it may not be as warm/forward sounding as I tend to prefer. XB500 is so satisfying to me anyway so don't feel any necessity to switch but if it would be better ofc I would concider it. Sound quality itself isn't enough to garantuee I'd enjoy them more than XB500, has to share a sound signature I like as well, I've experienced this too many times already so can't fool myself anymore.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #40 of 106
Nice impressions!!! They may sound even better with some burn-in!
beyersmile.png

Glad you're enjoying them! :D

Quote:
quantity is almost equal but it has way better quality like comparing 8' sub vs 12' sub
mids are better but needs an eq to bring out the best
highs are detailed enough without being sibilant
bass never sounded this good

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #41 of 106

Quote:
I won't get XB1000 unless I'm certain it has the kind of sound I prefer, I know very well what kind of sound I prefer at this point and XB500 looks to be very close to it. My major concerns about XB1000 would be that the deep/upper bass isn't as balanced as on XB500 and the deep bass is heavily dominating like already is the case with XB700 as the bigger drivers usually the deeper bass focus (altough there exists headphones like HFI-580 that also use 50mm drivers and still have stronger upper bass output compared to very deep so it can still vary). Also I'm worried about the mids aren't forward enough and that the highs might be brighter than what I concider optimal and that overall it may not be as warm/forward sounding as I tend to prefer. XB500 is so satisfying to me anyway so don't feel any necessity to switch but if it would be better ofc I would concider it. Sound quality itself isn't enough to garantuee I'd enjoy them more than XB500, has to share a sound signature I like as well, I've experienced this too many times already so can't fool myself anymore.

When I heard them the XB1000 bass was far better quality and more refined than the XB700.  It also wasn't as big and boomy which caught me off guard from what I was expecting.  I did not like the mids however and they certainly were not what I would call forward.  I think I would prefer the mids of the 700 w/ the bass of the 1000.  Don't remember how the 1000 highs sounded to me.  Nothing out of the ordinary that caught my attention.  This was a CES audition so take it for what it's worth.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #43 of 106

Quote:

if you want mid pass punch then xb1000 will take care of it. regarding deep/upper bass, i would say 55-60/45-0
its just perfect to my ears

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #44 of 106
How about those pictures? :wink:

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #45 of 106

Quote:
if you want mid pass punch then xb1000 will take care of it. regarding deep/upper bass, i would say 55-60/45-0
its just perfect to my ears

With such ratio I could live with (yea I know it's difficult to accurately tell the balance of deep/upper bass just like that :p) but XB500 I'd rate like 46/54 (deep/upper) focus while XB700 like around 70/30. I wouldn't mind that the deep bass is slightly more powerful than upper bass as that's how I've EQ'd XB500 anyway to have a bit bigger boost at 31 - 62Hz compared to 125 - 250Hz, around 55/45 would probably be optimal and you can always alter it with EQing a bit but in the case of XB700 it was just impossible no matter how I EQd to get the upper bass punch impact of XB500, it was just slightly too "soft"/deep/rumbling for my liking even after EQing when it was supposed to punch hard for certain songs.

Sounds like XB1000 is a compromise between XB500 and XB700 in deep/upper bass balance.

Here's also how I'd illustrate how XB500 and XB700 would compare to each other frequency response balance-wise:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back