Yanyin Discussion thread
Nov 4, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #2,041 of 2,418
Sound preference is the key to how much folks like as sound. Forward mids is not a bad thing as there are too many IEMs with a V shaped tuning. Still listen to my set and love em every single time I hear em.
1667573425973.png

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #2,042 of 2,418
Sound preference is the key to how much folks like as sound. Forward mids is not a bad thing as there are too many IEMs with a V shaped tuning. Still listen to my set and love em every single time I hear em.
Well, I currently have a set of V shape tuned iems in the form of a Sennheiser IE300 (bought it in a sale 50% off) and well I'm not a huge fan of that either but for the price it's ok. The issue I have with that one is that the voices sound wrong. Female voices sound "crystalline" due to that ones emphasis / peaks around 7/8khz.

I'm out of the house right now, but the Moonlight from earlier in the day I remember the females voices sounded correct, just too loud in the overall mix especially when it comes to bass. I'm not in front of my speakers atm to A/B to whether I'd prefer the female voices to have a little more "sweetness" particularly when it comes to say Karen Carpenter but as is the Moonlight sounds great for voices. The singer Katie Melua especially as I mentioned to the other poster sounds great, I know of her work quite well and have met and talked to her in person backstage after a concert.

Another track I always use as a "northstar" is "Because you loved me" by Céline Dion. It is a track that as well as showcasing vocals, has a decent amount of bass for a pop ballad. The start of the track features synth bass? extending down to 30hz with a peak at approx 33hz (most pop songs don't go below 30hz). When played right, it can sound warm and enveloping before being broken by Céline's vocals.

As I recall from the Moonlight, that 33hz bass peak I was looking for did not have the presence I was expecting. I mean, it would be unrealistic for me to expect it to beat a $2000 155lb standalone subwoofer, but I would have preferred the level to be significantly higher, as high as the peaks in Céline's voice at least.

I'm not sure what iem would suit me the best as it's been a very long time since I bought any. Both the senns and moonlight were bought in the past 4 months.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2,046 of 2,418
Well, I currently have a set of V shape tuned iems in the form of a Sennheiser IE300 (bought it in a sale 50% off) and well I'm not a huge fan of that either but for the price it's ok. The issue I have with that one is that the voices sound wrong. Female voices sound "crystalline" due to that ones emphasis / peaks around 7/8khz.

I'm out of the house right now, but the Moonlight from earlier in the day I remember the females voices sounded correct, just too loud in the overall mix especially when it comes to bass. I'm not in front of my speakers atm to A/B to whether I'd prefer the female voices to have a little more "sweetness" particularly when it comes to say Karen Carpenter but as is the Moonlight sounds great for voices. The singer Katie Melua especially as I mentioned to the other poster sounds great, I know of her work quite well and have met and talked to her in person backstage after a concert.

Another track I always use as a "northstar" is "Because you loved me" by Céline Dion. It is a track that as well as showcasing vocals, has a decent amount of bass for a pop ballad. The start of the track features synth bass? extending down to 30hz with a peak at approx 33hz (most pop songs don't go below 30hz). When played right, it can sound warm and enveloping before being broken by Céline's vocals.

As I recall from the Moonlight, that 33hz bass peak I was looking for did not have the presence I was expecting. I mean, it would be unrealistic for me to expect it to beat a $2000 155lb standalone subwoofer, but I would have preferred the level to be significantly higher, as high as the peaks in Céline's voice at least.

I'm not sure what iem would suit me the best as it's been a very long time since I bought any. Both the senns and moonlight were bought in the past 4 months.
I have the IE600 and I think everything sounds a lot more balanced compared to my Moonlights. While the IE600 is considered a V/U shape it doesn't the upper mids sucked out of it like the IE300 which is probably why vocals sound weird to you.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #2,047 of 2,418
What's the difference between their 100-500 tx series? All same price.

Is the tx500 the one that is best with the Moonlight?
My experience is solely with the Canon and before that Shure SE215s which I had for well over a decade. I swear by foam.

The TX-500 has a small filter in it to keep out any earjunk etc and I have always preferred it because the medium size fits my canal snug and it allows me to not have to worry about getting ANYTHING in the nozzle. It doesnt muzzle the sound at all, though I would imagine it helps keep the higher frequencies at bay at very high volume.

Like I said, take a peek at the options and buy a set of them for around $15 that gives you a small, medium, and large set so you can configure which is best for you. If you dont want the filter inside, I would recommend the T-500.

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #2,048 of 2,418
My experience is solely with the Canon and before that Shure SE215s which I had for well over a decade. I swear by foam.

The TX-500 has a small filter in it to keep out any earjunk etc and I have always preferred it because the medium size fits my canal snug and it allows me to not have to worry about getting ANYTHING in the nozzle. It doesnt muzzle the sound at all, though I would imagine it helps keep the higher frequencies at bay at very high volume.

Like I said, take a peek at the options and buy a set of them for around $15 that gives you a small, medium, and large set so you can configure which is best for you. If you dont want the filter inside, I would recommend the T-500.
Thanks, out of interest does the Canon have the same bore diameter as the Moonlight?

Apparently the difference between 100-500 is the different sized bore they fit. So if you are using the TX-500 for the Canon and it fits and if the Canon has the same bore diameter as the Moonlight, then the TX-500 would fit the Moonlight. Is what I was trying to ask lol

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,049 of 2,418
Thanks, out of interest does the Canon have the same bore diameter as the Moonlight?

Apparently the difference between 100-500 is the different sized bore they fit. So if you are using the TX-500 for the Canon and it fits and if the Canon has the same bore diameter as the Moonlight, then the TX-500 would fit the Moonlight. Is what I was trying to ask lol
I can only presume they are the same; other members here actually have both and may report back if you ask/nag nicely 👍🏻

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,050 of 2,418
I have the IE600 and I think everything sounds a lot more balanced compared to my Moonlights. While the IE600 is considered a V/U shape it doesn't the upper mids sucked out of it like the IE300 which is probably why vocals sound weird to you.
So you would say the IE600 keeps most or all of the vocals of the Moonlight with extra bass? I mean I sort of already get a guess of what the bass might be like from the IE300, which is OK.

I've heard some people say the IE600 is even better than the IE900, how much of that is wishful thinking I don't know..

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,051 of 2,418
So you would say the IE600 keeps most or all of the vocals of the Moonlight with extra bass? I mean I sort of already get a guess of what the bass might be like from the IE300, which is OK.

I've heard some people say the IE600 is even better than the IE900, how much of that is wishful thinking I don't know..
Ive never heard the IE900 or IE300 so I can't speak to those two but I will say the IE600 has more sub bass than the Moonlight although Moonlight has more mids and thus a bit more note weight in my opinion. Vocal replay is different between the two with IE600s elevated treble. IE600 is airy and a bit more sparkly than the Moonlight vocals but has similar bit. Moonlight vocals are great and honestly aren't missing much imo.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #2,052 of 2,418
Has anyone heard both the Moonlight and the Mahina? Essentially I am in the middle of enquiring to either exchange the Moonlight for a Mahina or return the order completely and take a hit on restocking or manually selling it here.

I know there's a guy above me who had the same complaint about the Mahina as I had about the Moonlight.

As I basically think the vocals are fine (just too loud in the mix vs the rest) on the Moonlight and just needs more bass, would the Mahina be a good alternative or should I jump ship altogether?

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #2,053 of 2,418
Has anyone heard both the Moonlight and the Mahina? Essentially I am in the middle of enquiring to either exchange the Moonlight for a Mahina or return the order completely and take a hit on restocking or manually selling it here.

I know there's a guy above me who had the same complaint about the Mahina as I had about the Moonlight.

As I basically think the vocals are fine (just too loud in the mix vs the rest) on the Moonlight and just needs more bass, would the Mahina be a good alternative or should I jump ship altogether?

In your case, the best thing to do is try to get the Mahina curve from the Moonlight with EQ and see if you like it. They are very similar with about 3.5db of rise in the low-bass. It is very difficult to find the perfect IEM, that is why almost all of us customize them to our liking with different tips and cables, or a touch of EQ.

1667658514847.png

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #2,054 of 2,418
In your case, the best thing to do is try to get the Mahina curve from the Moonlight with EQ and see if you like it. They are very similar with about 3.5db of rise in the low-bass. It is very difficult to find the perfect IEM, that is why almost all of us customize them to our liking with different tips and cables, or a touch of EQ.

What program on the PC would I need to be to do such an EQ?

From looking at it, a parametric eq is not enough, there needs to be some sort of function for a curve that sets a starting frequency and a gradient.

Would I just need to eyeball the graphs on the HBB database or are there any numerical guidelines, maybe even what he did exactly to tune the Moonlight in the first place?

Thanks

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,055 of 2,418
What program on the PC would I need to be to do such an EQ?

From looking at it, a parametric eq is not enough, there needs to be some sort of function for a curve that sets a starting frequency and a gradient.

Would I just need to eyeball the graphs on the HBB database or are there any numerical guidelines, maybe even what he did exactly to tune the Moonlight in the first place?

Thanks
PEQ should do the trick. Go to hbb.squig.link and pull up both the moonlight and the mahina and you can auto EQ the moonlight to mahina. It will give you the PEQ settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back