Yanyin Discussion thread
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #1,580 of 2,418
I just don’t see how the retuned moonlight will sound any better. Bass is perfect on these and so is the rest of the sound.
@Dsnuts how Moonlight's bass impact compares to Tansio Mirai Sands or Lands stock bass tuning and with bass switch activated? What I see from graphs Moonlight has a a simillar bass response as Sands with stock bass tuning which is kind of lacking some impact to me, unless graphs are missleading this time. With bass switch activated Lands' bass hits a sweatspot to me which accidentaly matches HBB's target response curve, at leat in bass deprtment. I am not a basshead but like some good impact when I listen to EDM or simply drums.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,581 of 2,418
@Dsnuts how Moonlight's bass impact compares to Tansio Mirai Sands or Lands stock bass tuning and with bass switch activated? What I see from graphs Moonlight has a a simillar bass response as Sands with stock bass tuning which is kind of lacking some impact to me, unless graphs are missleading this time. With bass switch activated Lands' bass hits a sweatspot to me which accidentaly matches HBB's target response curve, at leat in bass deprtment. I am not a basshead but like some good impact when I listen to EDM or simply drums.

Moonlight bass impact and its extension is very good I think what separates its bass performace is that it is so clean with a supereme black background for its overall presentation with a well defined bass end that never encroaches upon the mids at any point. Others might have a bit more bass emphasis as you mentioned but Yanyin has chosen them bio dynamics for their earphones for a reason. Love how defined bio bass emphasis is.

As long as you got a good sealing tip like the Azla Crytals which is all I have been using on them. There is plenty of impact and sub bass rumble on the Moonlights. I suppose if you like your balanced sound presentation to have a bit more in the sub bass and a bit more in the trebles the newer one will be just that but I agree with @DannyBai and others.

The Moonlight is nothing like what Moondrop did with their Blessing 2. Blessing 2 had such a weak bass end it took Crinacle to point that out and they made a Dusk version with more bass.

Moonlights dont have that issue. I think one of its charms is the fact that it is balanced so well. It never needed a revision in the first place. Moonlights don't need to become a more v shaped signature, then it would loose that signature balancing it has. But having an option is never a bad thing I suppose.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,582 of 2,418
Moonlight bass impact and its extension is very good I think what separates its bass performace is that it is so clean with a supereme black background for its overall presentation with a well defined bass end that never encroaches upon the mids at any point. Others might have a bit more bass emphasis as you mentioned but Yanyin has chosen them bio dynamics for their earphones for a reason. Love how defined bio bass emphasis is.

As long as you got a good sealing tip like the Azla Crytals which is all I have been using on them. There is plenty of impact and sub bass rumble on the Moonlights. I suppose if you like your balanced sound presentation to have a bit more in the sub bass and a bit more in the trebles the newer one will be just that but I agree with @DannyBai and others.

The Moonlight is nothing like what Moondrop did with their Blessing 2. Blessing 2 had such a weak bass end it took Crinacle to point that out and they made a Dusk version with more bass.

Moonlights dont have that issue. I think one of its charms is the fact that it is balanced so well. It never needed a revision in the first place. Moonlights don't need to become a more v shaped signature, then it would loose that signature balancing it has. But having an option is never a bad thing I suppose.
Thanks, this was quite informative and helpful for some of us! Graphs don't tell everything.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,583 of 2,418
It kinda like how Sony did the bass end of the IER Z1R,. If you see sound desciptors of its bass performance it is what I consider a special bass presentation. Speaker like in presentation with a deep rumbly sub bass performance. If you judge its bass just based on graphs it dont seem to have a big emphasis for its bass presentation. This is the difference in looking at a graph vs actaully owning and hearing that bass for yourself.

It even makes the bass end seem like it is rolled off a touch for its sub bass. I dont have an earphone that can touch how deep the bass goes on the IER-Z1R not to mention is authoritative texture and rumble. I have earphones with 10-12 dbs of bass emphasis that can't touch the authority of the Z1R bass performance is what I am saying.

1657045195115.png

For the moonlight it has 7dbs of bass emphasis the IER-Z1R roughly about 8 dbs. Bass will be dependent on a good fitting tip but impact wise it is just as good as anything that has more emphasis in mid to lower bass. I listen to a lot of bass genres myself and if the bass isn't right on a set I will clearly put it out there that it is lacking. Not an issue with Moonlight bass at all.
1657044492495.png

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,586 of 2,418
Two words of advice for you scuba. Make sure your careful with the 2 pins especially when your trying out other cables. Wiggling is the answer to get the 2 pins all the way in vs forcing it in.

The other is make sure your not listening from your sources in high gain. I would also try it in single ended at some point. Looking forward to see what you think.

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #1,587 of 2,418
Two words of advice for you scuba. Make sure your careful with the 2 pins especially when your trying out other cables. Wiggling is the answer to get the 2 pins all the way in vs forcing it in.

The other is make sure your not listening from your sources in high gain. I would also try it in single ended at some point. Looking forward to see what you think.

Cheers, I'll try the stock cable for a few days anyway.

Yes went straight to low gain on my DAP, certainly more than enough. I actually don't have any decent single ended cables, I've been obsessive about balanced but actually recently very surprised to find the Final A4000 sounds much better single ended with its stock cable instead of a 4.4mm I had put on upon arrival. Any 3.5mm cable recommendations?

What are folks finding as preferable tips? I'll go through my usual tip rolling anyway but curious if any particular good synergy discovered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 7, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,588 of 2,418

Any benefit of using penons os849 with Moonlight? Would you recommend this pairing? I got single ended one :)

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,589 of 2,418
The OS849 you might get a thicker sound profile using the OS849 but the stock cable is a similar type SPC cable with some graphene cores. I wouldnt say the OS849 is an upgrade but a bit different more meat to the sounds vs the stock cable. Graphene is awsome at helping imaging for an IEM and that is the area the stock cable synergizes well with on the Moonlight. Yanyin threw in a very good cable with the Moonlight so no real cable upgrade needed to be honest but testing out other cables are always a fun thing to do.. I will test it more closely with the OS849 tonight when I get a chance.

Cheers, I'll try the stock cable for a few days anyway.

Yes went straight to low gain on my DAP, certainly more than enough. I actually don't have any decent single ended cables, I've been obsessive about balanced but actually recently very surprised to find the Final A4000 sounds much better single ended with its stock cable instead of a 4.4mm I had put on upon arrival. Any 3.5mm cable recommendations?

What are folks finding as preferable tips? I'll go through my usual tip rolling anyway but curious if any particular good synergy discovered.

Love the Azla crystals on the Moonlights. Good seal in my ears means it gives out the best bass performance. Extremely well balanced presentation with the Crystals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back