Yanyin Discussion thread
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,594 of 2,418
2 graphene cables. See if you can tell which is the Moonlight stock and which is the $299 Penon OSG.

733A0FB0-B54A-4534-AD7A-7490AD572A6F.jpeg

OSG on top; Moonlight stock below

The point anyway is that the Moonlight’s stock cable is unusually good - both in terms of quality and synergy. They not only look and feel similar, they also don’t sound a million miles apart. One of the first things I usually do is pop off the stock cable and try a dozen others. The stock cable usually gets put away. The Moonlight is practically alone in having never been parted from its stock cable for long ever since it arrived.

The other is make sure your not listening from your sources in high gain. I would also try it in single ended at some point.
Yes went straight to low gain on my DAP, certainly more than enough. I actually don't have any decent single ended cables, I've been obsessive about balanced but actually recently very surprised to find the Final A4000 sounds much better single ended with its stock cable instead of a 4.4mm I had put on upon arrival.

I’d never have thought it but 2022 is rapidly shaping up to be the year I seriously consider going back single-ended, with the Moonlight (and Vortex) dominating ear time.

What are folks finding as preferable tips? I'll go through my usual tip rolling anyway but curious if any particular good synergy discovered.

Staying with ePros for now. Azla Crystals for maximum sub bass and rumble and more forward mids but I get a good seal as well with ePros and the mids sound a tad airier and more natural.

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,595 of 2,418
I have been testing some cables these days. Stock in 3.5mm, Penon Mix, ISN Solar, Tri Wolfram and ISN G4, although I haven't been able to test them for a long time. Between work and my young daughter, lately my time to listen to music is when they go to bed and I'm cleaning up the kitchen :sweat_smile:. Some small conclusions in the time I have spent with each one, which as I say, has not been much:
  • The stock cable is pretty decent, I only used it as soon as it arrived, but as soon as I switched to the mix, I noticed better textures on the bass. I don't know if it's due to the cable or the burn. I have to go back to him.
  • The Mix improved the texture of the bass to a certain extent and the definition a little, but it didn't make a huge difference, and I'm not sure if the improvement was also due to the fact that the moonlight had already burned for a few hours in my desktop system.
  • The ISN Solar is a great cable. It improves everything it touches. It may be the best pairing, but it didn't wow me like the first time I put it on the Penon Volt.
  • I just got the Wolfram, and so far it seems to me that it makes the highs shine too much, but I've only had a chance to try it on 4 or 5 songs.
  • In the end, the combination that I have used and enjoyed the most has been the ISN G4, using Cayin RU6 as a source. Due to its characteristics it looks like the original, but I haven't found any fault with it according to my tastes... well yes... why does it have to be so ugly :sweat_smile:?

What are folks finding as preferable tips? I'll go through my usual tip rolling anyway but curious if any particular good synergy discovered.

+1 on AZLA Crystals

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,596 of 2,418
I have been testing some cables these days. Stock in 3.5mm, Penon Mix, ISN Solar, Tri Wolfram and ISN G4, although I haven't been able to test them for a long time. Between work and my young daughter, lately my time to listen to music is when they go to bed and I'm cleaning up the kitchen :sweat_smile:. Some small conclusions in the time I have spent with each one, which as I say, has not been much:
  • The stock cable is pretty decent, I only used it as soon as it arrived, but as soon as I switched to the mix, I noticed better textures on the bass. I don't know if it's due to the cable or the burn. I have to go back to him.
  • The Mix improved the texture of the bass to a certain extent and the definition a little, but it didn't make a huge difference, and I'm not sure if the improvement was also due to the fact that the moonlight had already burned for a few hours in my desktop system.
  • The ISN Solar is a great cable. It improves everything it touches. It may be the best pairing, but it didn't wow me like the first time I put it on the Penon Volt.
  • I just got the Wolfram, and so far it seems to me that it makes the highs shine too much, but I've only had a chance to try it on 4 or 5 songs.
  • In the end, the combination that I have used and enjoyed the most has been the ISN G4, using Cayin RU6 as a source. Due to its characteristics it looks like the original, but I haven't found any fault with it according to my tastes... well yes... why does it have to be so ugly :sweat_smile:?

+1 on AZLA Crystals
1657215673014.png

Quite fond of the Mix pairing myself.

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #1,597 of 2,418
How does Moonlight compare to Canon in terms of size/comfort/isolation/drivebility? 😀
Really like the Canons, even thought they didn't gave me wow feeling 😉
But all size/comfort/isolation/drivebility are great!
Very similar actually. Shell size is identical. Both very sensitive. Both have similar isolation levels.
1657222412821.png
Cheers, I'll try the stock cable for a few days anyway.

Yes went straight to low gain on my DAP, certainly more than enough. I actually don't have any decent single ended cables, I've been obsessive about balanced but actually recently very surprised to find the Final A4000 sounds much better single ended with its stock cable instead of a 4.4mm I had put on upon arrival. Any 3.5mm cable recommendations?

Well?
What you think? Common Scuba. You post on the water cooler but not on the official thread? I see how it is.

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #1,598 of 2,418
Very similar actually. Shell size is identical. Both very sensitive. Both have similar isolation levels.
1657222412821.png

Well?
What you think? Common Scuba. You post on the water cooler but not on the official thread? I see how it is.

Incredible - I found the ESTs a bit too forward in treble presentation on some tracks initially which caused me concern... driver, brain burn-in or both, that's passed and I'm finding them fantastic, definitely punching way above their price tag and yet again, making me question kilobuck sets.

I need more time for deeper impressions but so far, delighted with my purchase!

20220707_195450.jpg

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,600 of 2,418
Cheers, I'll try the stock cable for a few days anyway.

Yes went straight to low gain on my DAP, certainly more than enough. I actually don't have any decent single ended cables, I've been obsessive about balanced but actually recently very surprised to find the Final A4000 sounds much better single ended with its stock cable instead of a 4.4mm I had put on upon arrival. Any 3.5mm cable recommendations?

Don’t you have DUNUs with interchangeable connectors?

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,601 of 2,418
Jul 7, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,602 of 2,418
Incredible - I found the ESTs a bit too forward in treble presentation on some tracks initially which caused me concern... driver, brain burn-in or both, that's passed and I'm finding them fantastic, definitely punching way above their price tag and yet again, making me question kilobuck sets.

I need more time for deeper impressions but so far, delighted with my purchase!

Get some music playing on them but believe me once you get them nice and worked up the EST blends in really well with the treble tuning.

Let them play overnight and take a listen tomorrow.

Jul 7, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #1,604 of 2,418
Get some music playing on them but believe me once you get them nice and worked up the EST blends in really well with the treble tuning.

Let them play overnight and take a listen tomorrow.

Yeah they've been running now maybe 7 hours, and my trusty ZX300 is fully charged and ready for the overnight shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back