Yanyin Discussion thread
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #586 of 2,418
I'm now wondering what a totl iem must sound like if they can sound this good at mid fi level.

There's usually a big case of diminishing returns, but if you're fighting for that last 1-10% of enjoyment, TOTL is the place to be.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Canon at some point. I love the DDs characteristics in the Aladdin, so I'm hungry for more.

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #587 of 2,418
Obiligatory gear shot

IMG_2442.jpg

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #590 of 2,418
Similar yet different. Both do bass well but it is the Canon that has a bit more in the way of treble emphasis I want to say it has more lower treble vs EST50 which has a bit more emphasis on extension and upper trebles due to EST implementation. Both sets fill that technical but fun type of sound signature. EST50 is a bit more smoother from treble to mids while the Canon has a bit of a vocal lift for its mids presentation. EST50 trades that treble emphasis of the Canon for a bit more bass grunt and a fuller deep sub bass rumble. Canon trades up a bit of that low bass for a bit more treble.

EST50 has a richer tone and a bit wider stage, the Canon has what sounds like more energy and what seems to be better clarity due to that treble. Both are tuned well for what they do. EST50s being more of an L shaped signature the Canon being a mild v.

Difference in Knowles and Sonion BAs for mids too. I can tell the Canon is using a Knowles BA the EST50 uses Sonion BA for mids.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #591 of 2,418
Similar yet different. Both do bass well but it is the Canon that has a bit more in the way of treble emphasis I want to say it has more lower treble vs EST50 which has a bit more emphasis on extension and upper trebles due to EST implementation. Both sets fill that technical but fun type of sound signature. EST50 is a bit more smoother from treble to mids while the Canon has a bit of a vocal lift for its mids presentation. EST50 trades that treble emphasis of the Canon for a bit more bass grunt and a fuller deep sub bass rumble. Canon trades up a bit of that low bass for a bit more treble.

EST50 has a richer tone and a bit wider stage, the Canon has what sounds like more energy and what seems to be better clarity due to that treble. Both are tuned well for what they do. EST50s being more of an L shaped signature the Canon being a mild v.

Difference in Knowles and Sonion BAs for mids too. I can tell the Canon is using a Knowles BA the EST50 uses Sonion BA for mids.
Thanks for getting back so soon and comprehensively!

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #592 of 2,418
So today I was listening to the Aladdin with a new cable - the Hisenior AS8 Autumn Sky (named by yours truly). This is a silver and copper alloy cable with modular termination - 3.5 MM SE, 2.5 mm balanced and 4.4 mm balanced terminations provided. This cable is indeed a very nice cable - visually pleasing, quite supple despite the 8 core configuration, and sounds good too! It cleans up the midrange of Aladdin even more, enhances separation, tightens the bass. I am liking it quite a lot! This photo came out especially good as well.

20210922_123314.jpg

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #594 of 2,418
Well, shed some tears for a fellow hobbyist - the Aladdin sounds like my ideal endgame, but I'll have to pay VAT and custom tax for shipping to the UK, which means it'll be over my preferred budget 😭😭 Yanyin only sells through Penon right?

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #595 of 2,418
Well, shed some tears for a fellow hobbyist - the Aladdin sounds like my ideal endgame, but I'll have to pay VAT and custom tax for shipping to the UK, which means it'll be over my preferred budget 😭😭 Yanyin only sells through Penon right?
Well no but yes …you buy from penon store on AliExpress they offer free shipping with no VAT

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #596 of 2,418
Well no but yes …you buy from penon store on AliExpress they offer free shipping with no VAT
Hmm I've been messaging Penon on AliX and they said: "We can declare in low price, after it arrive, you need to pay the tax by yourself."
I guess they mean if I'm unlucky and the customs officers select mine for screening / tax checks, then I will end up paying VAT anyway?

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #597 of 2,418
I'm selling my like-new Aladdin. £149 incl UK delivery & PayPal. Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #599 of 2,418
What sort of tips have people tried? Has anyone found tips that brings out a bit more mid-bass? I don't have Aladdins yet, but based on experience with other IEMs, tips that increase insertion depth (~12 mm long) tend to boost bass compared to shorter ones (~8-9 mm).

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #600 of 2,418
What sort of tips have people tried? Has anyone found tips that brings out a bit more mid-bass? I don't have Aladdins yet, but based on experience with other IEMs, tips that increase insertion depth (~12 mm long) tend to boost bass compared to shorter ones (~8-9 mm).
Not sure about insertion depth, but narrow bore tips would increase mid-bass. My narrow bore CP100 has more pronounced mid-bass compared to wide bore Spiral Dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back