Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 24, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #436 of 2,418
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #437 of 2,418
Got my Aladdins this morning. I'm very pleased. I think most of the praise and also the honest criticism in this thread has accurate - whether anyone will enjoy the Aladdins ultimately depends on your preferences and what you're looking for.

Slightly bright but balanced tuning, nicely emphasized midrange and vocals without any shoutiness, sound stage expansion is average, but separation, layering and imaging are good. Good air and extension in the highs, not sibilant or "hot" sounding. Bass is controlled, musical and accurate but without much in the way sub bass slam and physical impact. I will specifically note that the bass is definitely not boring or lacking for the rock genres I listen to, electric bass lines have groove, and drums have good accuracy and have gotten my toes tapping. It's the sort of thing where you can hear the detail of the drum strike, but you don't really feel the kick drum punching you in the sternum.

The biggest warning I will offer is that the Aladdin does suffer at times from "BA timbre", as others have noted. It was most noticeable to me when I first started listening to them after switching over directly from the Tanchjim Tanya, but as the day went on I think I just got used to the presentation, and it is not as egregious as other BA sets that suffer from this (like the ER4XR for example).

Overall, I think the Aladdins play in the same league as other sets I own like the Tanchim Oxygen, LZ A7, UM 3DT, etc. Whether anyone will like the Aladdins, or even maybe prefer them to to other IEMs in the same general price range, ultimately comes down to what you're looking for in terms of preferences, tuning, etc. I'll need to spend more time with the Aladdins to think about where it would rank specifically in comparison to all of my other sets.

I've been listening to tons of classic and prog rock all day long on the Aladdins with a smile on my face though. So far it feels like a good mid-centric all-rounder with solid technicalities for my tastes. Oh, and the comfort is excellent for me, great fit and lightweight - the stock cable is very soft and comfortable too.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #438 of 2,418
Got my Aladdins this morning. I'm very pleased. I think most of the praise and also the honest criticism in this thread has accurate - whether anyone will enjoy the Aladdins ultimately depends on your preferences and what you're looking for.

Slightly bright but balanced tuning, nicely emphasized midrange and vocals without any shoutiness, sound stage expansion is average, but separation, layering and imaging are good. Good air and extension in the highs, not sibilant or "hot" sounding. Bass is controlled, musical and accurate but without much in the way sub bass slam and physical impact. I will specifically note that the bass is definitely not boring or lacking for the rock genres I listen to, electric bass lines have groove, and drums have good accuracy and have gotten my toes tapping. It's the sort of thing where you can hear the detail of the drum strike, but you don't really feel the kick drum punching you in the sternum.

The biggest warning I will offer is that the Aladdin does suffer at times from "BA timbre", as others have noted. It was most noticeable to me when I first started listening to them after switching over directly from the Tanchjim Tanya, but as the day went on I think I just got used to the presentation, and it is not as egregious as other BA sets that suffer from this (like the ER4XR for example).

Overall, I think the Aladdins play in the same league as other sets I own like the Tanchim Oxygen, LZ A7, UM 3DT, etc. Whether anyone will like the Aladdins, or even maybe prefer them to to other IEMs in the same general price range, ultimately comes down to what you're looking for in terms of preferences, tuning, etc. I'll need to spend more time with the Aladdins to think about where it would rank specifically in comparison to all of my other sets.

I've been listening to tons of classic and prog rock all day long on the Aladdins with a smile on my face though. So far it feels like a good mid-centric all-rounder with solid technicalities for my tastes. Oh, and the comfort is excellent for me, great fit and lightweight - the stock cable is very soft and comfortable too.
How does it compare with the Oxygen, DD vs BA timbre aside?

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #439 of 2,418

I would like to know more about Aladdin's performance compared to 3DT. Is Aladdin more bright or less? Does the notes of Aladdin feels more real than 3DT, and is the separation better? How is the stage depth and width on Aladdin compared to 3DT? And, most importantly, how is the bass slam of Aladdin compared to 3DT?

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #440 of 2,418
And, most importantly, how is the bass slam of Aladdin compared to 3DT?

I'll take the easiest one so you can use it as another datapoint. Bass slam is less on Aladdin than 3DT. I prefer Aladdins bass over the 3DT but it sounds as though you're a big midbass slam-fan...

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #441 of 2,418
I'll take the easiest one so you can use it as another datapoint. Bass slam is less on Aladdin than 3DT. I prefer Aladdins bass over the 3DT but it sounds as though you're a big midbass slam-fan...
I am man...I am, but not too much. It's a pain that mine is sitting hundreds of km away while I am biting my nails, and will have to for 6 more days...sucks big time.

However, can you answer the other difficult questions too, please?

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #442 of 2,418
So how does Alladin take to EQ? If I want a bit warmer sound can the low end DD handle EQ well? As an example maybe + 5db @ 500hz.
Will this ruin the overall tonality or is it just a warmer version of the same?
Thanks

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #443 of 2,418
I would like to know more about Aladdin's performance compared to 3DT. Is Aladdin more bright or less? Does the notes of Aladdin feels more real than 3DT, and is the separation better? How is the stage depth and width on Aladdin compared to 3DT? And, most importantly, how is the bass slam of Aladdin compared to 3DT?

Very brief comparison A-B'ing for about 20 minutes. As always this is incredibly subjective...

Not stock cables
Not stock tips
Filter modded 3DT (as much as you're a great guy @Ace Bee I can't bring myself to listen without the filter as it becomes too uppermid forward and shouty for me)

UM 3DT (/w KBear Believe Filters)Aladdin
BassGreater rumble
Greater impact
More bloom
Less natural decay
Similar texture
Lighter impact
Less bloom
More natural decay
MidsLess transparent
Less detailed
Uppermid more fatiguing (even with filter, YMMV)
More transparent
More detailed
Uppermid less fatiguing (YMMV).
TrebleLess definition & extension
Less shimmer
Less air
Greater definition & extension
More shimmer
Slighty more air
SoundstageSlightly smaller in width, more sphericalLaterally larger, more flat
Slightly better instrument separation
TonalityCooler & brighterNeutral-warm
TimbreLess accurate in the bass, more accurate in the mids & trebleMore accurate in the bass, less accurate in mids & the treble
Resolution / Detail retrieval (overall)LesserGreater

Since purchasing the Aladdin I have rarely reached for the 3DT. Even though I'm a timbre-head, the timbre is more than acceptable to my tastes in the mid and treble on the Aladdin. There is a slight metallic character to the treble but ultimately the BA gives you more definiton and extension. Female vocals are more tolerable just owed to the tuning and I can't appreciate any hybrid coherency issues in the Aladdin comparing to the triple DD of the 3DT.

The biggest distinction apart from execution of the tuning, is the bass. If you want more bass impact and rumble then 3DT is the pick but then you need to decide if it's worth it given the shortcomings (which are just my opinion ofcourse, plenty of people are happy with the 3DT, unmodded too).

Hope this helps someone...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #444 of 2,418
Very brief comparison A-B'ing for about 20 minutes. As always this is incredibly subjective...

Not stock cables
Not stock tips
Filter modded 3DT (as much as you're a great guy @Ace Bee I can't bring myself to listen without the filter as it becomes too uppermid forward and shouty for me)

UM 3DT (/w KBear Believe Filters)Aladdin
BassGreater rumble
Greater impact
More bloom
Less natural decay
Similar texture
Lighter impact
Less bloom
More natural decay
MidsLess transparent
Less detailed
Uppermid more fatiguing (even with filter, YMMV)
More transparent
More detailed
Uppermid less fatiguing (YMMV).
TrebleLess definition & extension
Less shimmer
Less air
Greater definition & extension
More shimmer
Slighty more air
SoundstageSlightly smaller in width, more sphericalLaterally larger, more flat
Slightly better instrument separation
TonalityCooler & brighterNeutral-warm
TimbreLess accurate in the bass, more accurate in the mids & trebleMore accurate in the bass, less accurate in mids & the treble
Resolution / Detail retrieval (overall)LesserGreater

Since purchasing the Aladdin I have rarely reached for the 3DT. Even though I'm a timbre-head, the timbre is more than acceptable to my tastes in the mid and treble on the Aladdin. There is a slight metallic character to the treble but ultimately the BA gives you more definiton and extension. Female vocals are more tolerable just owed to the tuning and I can't appreciate any hybrid coherency issues in the Aladdin comparing to the triple DD of the 3DT.

The biggest distinction apart from execution of the tuning, is the bass. If you want more bass impact and rumble then 3DT is the pick but then you need to decide if it's worth it given the shortcomings (which are just my opinion ofcourse, plenty of people are happy with the 3DT, unmodded too).

Hope this helps someone...
First of all, @ian91 you are an incredible person to lay out such a beautifully detailed comparisons with all the necessary disclaimers that can be seldomly found. hats off to you!

Secondly, I can rest a bit easy as I use the 3DT unmodded, so the trade off in bass might be less than I am fearing.

Thirdly, all the rest aspects give me nothing but hope, so, thanks again for that!

Aug 26, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #446 of 2,418
Guys..
I ve placed my order at Penon store 10 days ago and still now news about shipment....
Anybody here knows if Aladdin is out of stock??

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #447 of 2,418
Guys..
I ve placed my order at Penon store 10 days ago and still now news about shipment....

I'd send them an email to confirm if it's sent or not. They can be busy and forget to notify of stock levels. I had to wait a few extra days for my Volts to be dispatched as they were out of stock but the delivery itself was quick (express shipping).

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #448 of 2,418
Guys..
I waited for approximately the same amount of time from my original order until it shipped. I suspect that demand is high and they do not necessarily have stock on hand to ship right away. You can always email them to ask for an update.

In regards to people that have asked me to compare the Aladdin to 3DT and Oxygen, I suspect I will have time to do some comparison listening this weekend, I've just been too busy with work during the week. I will note however that after my 3rd full day with the Aladdins I'm still extremely pleased with them. Superb midrange reproduction with just the right amount energy in the bass and treble to make them an exciting listen.

I'm really starting to appreciate the sound stage and imaging. Even though the sound stage dimensions are not spread out very far in each dimension, the presentation is well centered and feels natural to me. I'm particularly fond of a lot of Zappa's live recordings where he mixed the vocals and instruments in a particular way so that you can expect some members of the band to be stage left, him in the center, and some performers stage right, and the Aladdins do a great job of conveying that live performance.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #449 of 2,418
I'd send them an email to confirm if it's sent or not. They can be busy and forget to notify of stock levels. I had to wait a few extra days for my Volts to be dispatched as they were out of stock but the delivery itself was quick (express shipping).
Thanks a lot man

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #450 of 2,418
I waited for approximately the same amount of time from my original order until it shipped. I suspect that demand is high and they do not necessarily have stock on hand to ship right away. You can always email them to ask for an update.

In regards to people that have asked me to compare the Aladdin to 3DT and Oxygen, I suspect I will have time to do some comparison listening this weekend, I've just been too busy with work during the week. I will note however that after my 3rd full day with the Aladdins I'm still extremely pleased with them. Superb midrange reproduction with just the right amount energy in the bass and treble to make them an exciting listen.

I'm really starting to appreciate the sound stage and imaging. Even though the sound stage dimensions are not spread out very far in each dimension, the presentation is well centered and feels natural to me. I'm particularly fond of a lot of Zappa's live recordings where he mixed the vocals and instruments in a particular way so that you can expect some members of the band to be stage left, him in the center, and some performers stage right, and the Aladdins do a great job of conveying that live performance.
Thanks man...
Indeed " Mothers of invention " were awesome during their era...
So... You do not find the bass lacking in any way... do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back