Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #331 of 2,418
But why just LAND when I can have the whole globe!!! Sorry I had to.

I won't rule that out just yet. Is it a good all arounder? Also, ehjie listed that as having a treble emphasis. I like details, but feel that at times some things can get a little piercing or shouting in my personal listening experience. I do not need the nth degree of microscopic detail, if that would make the experience painful or unenjoyable. Having no experience with higher level iems, I just get the sense in some of my research that the pursuit is for ultra-resolution and sometimes the enjoyment of the music gets put on the backburner. I had a lower level Ety the HF5 thing sounded fantastic, it was my first foray into good audio. But as I dabbled more now owning the HE-500 and HD-650, I have come to feel that they Ety sound though addictive can be kind of cold and tiring. Sorry Ety I still love you.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/post-16511057

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #332 of 2,418
But why just LAND when I can have the whole globe!!! Sorry I had to.

I won't rule that out just yet. Is it a good all arounder? Also, ehjie listed that as having a treble emphasis. I like details, but feel that at times some things can get a little piercing or shouting in my personal listening experience. I do not need the nth degree of microscopic detail, if that would make the experience painful or unenjoyable. Having no experience with higher level iems, I just get the sense in some of my research that the pursuit is for ultra-resolution and sometimes the enjoyment of the music gets put on the backburner. I had a lower level Ety the HF5 thing sounded fantastic, it was my first foray into good audio. But as I dabbled more now owning the HE-500 and HD-650, I have come to feel that they Ety sound though addictive can be kind of cold and tiring. Sorry Ety I still love you.
My daily driver headphone is an HD650, and I used a ER3XR for years. Been trying to find something that does the midrange as well as those two. Globe is the first that really impressed me when it came to the midrange presentation, out of the other IEMs I've tried. Criticisms would be that it's too bassy for me at times, and some upper-midrange details get abstracted away because of its warm relaxed sound.

I have an Aladdin on the way (4-5 days), and from other people's impressions it looks like a more balanced midrange-centric presentation. I'll be sure to post a comparison when mine arrive. Eagerly awaiting what @ian91 has to say about the two.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #333 of 2,418
My daily driver headphone is an HD650, and I used a ER3XR for years. Been trying to find something that does the midrange as well as those two. Globe is the first that really impressed me when it came to the midrange presentation, out of the other IEMs I've tried. Criticisms would be that it's too bassy for me at times, and some upper-midrange details get abstracted away because of its warm relaxed sound.

I have an Aladdin on the way (4-5 days), and from other people's impressions it looks like a more balanced midrange-centric presentation. I'll be sure to post a comparison when mine arrive. Eagerly awaiting what @ian91 has to say about the two.

Sounds like you could really like the Aladdin! My Globe review is up with a brief comparison. Both are great, but for different reasons.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #334 of 2,418
Man...don't disregard Land's bass! One of the best bass I have hear till date!
Just a note guys :
The ORBS also obtain masterclass bass response, and some of the sweetest vocals around..... 😉

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #335 of 2,418
I must say that as long as I keep reading different views and opinions regarding the Aladdins, the more those descriptions brings in mind ibasso AM05..... Which is a very reference like neutral oriented iem.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #336 of 2,418

Your take on the Globes is how I would word their sound as well. As we both feel their sound was mildly compromised in the same way, I am quite sure you will love the Aladdins because they don't suffer from that at all. It's like a no-compromise Globe to my ears, because the lows are so lovely, but not at any cost.

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #337 of 2,418
Your take on the Globes is how I would word their sound as well. As we both feel their sound was mildly compromised in the same way, I am quite sure you will love the Aladdins because they don't suffer from that at all. It's like a no-compromise Globe to my ears, because the lows are so lovely, but not at any cost.

I think the Globe leans into its strengths unapologetically. The Aladdin is all about poise and balance. Both are tuned and implemented with purpose and both excel at what they do. My hearts always been in the smoother, warmer and more intimate presentations since the start of my audiophile journey, so if I had to pick one, it would be the Globe but there's room for both in my life!

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #339 of 2,418
Globe uses Sonion BA for the mids. The Aladdin Knowles. The Ying and the Yan of sound. Both give distinctive sound traits and not the same. Variety is in fact the spice of life.

Don't ask me which one I prefer. I prefer one Globe in my right and one Aladdin on my left year. Thats the truth.

Very zen...

Aug 17, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #340 of 2,418
Globe uses Sonion BA for the mids. The Aladdin Knowles. The Ying and the Yan of sound. Both give distinctive sound traits and not the same. Variety is in fact the spice of life.

Don't ask me which one I prefer. I prefer one Globe in my right and one Aladdin on my left year. Thats the truth.
How would you generally describe the sound of each of those units?

Aug 17, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #341 of 2,418
Sonion has a distinctive richness about their tonality. Reason why some of the highest end earphones use Sonion drivers.

Knowles can sound smooth yet precise and or digital from their cheaper versions, or a little bit of both seems to be more dry in tone vs Sonions but makes up for it with precision for imaging and detail.

It is all how they are tuned as well. None of the mid band tones will matter if there is too much bass or too much treble or both. I like to think Penon knows how to tune the Sonion BA proper and Yanyin knows how to tune a Knowles proper.

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #342 of 2,418
Just for the sake of my 2 cents, at least for my taste I have to agree to disagree.

I feel the Globe had to make compromises in order to achieve the low end it has. I think the tuners really tried to avoid it, and got close.

That puts it among all kinds of earphones I can think of that "do x well, but that makes them worse at y".

That by no means makes it a bad set, it is very good. One of my too picks ever is the NM2+, but it's another trade-off tuning, perhaps moreso than the Globes. It's normal for even extremelyg ood sets to have their area of excellence hamper other areas.

To my ears YanYin is one of the few, if not only, that sound like they are tuned without compromise, at least in terms of bass, mids, and treble working together. And not by avoiding low end, that itself would be a compromise, or easy way out. Of course if it tried to get away with the same amount of bass as the Globes it would run into the same technical challenges.

I'll put it this way: I think the Globes sound excellent but would only listen to them for so long, and not for all tracks. Whereas for me the I don't need to tailor my listening or habits to the YanYin.

Is this all completely personal and and different from person to person? Absolutely. I just wanted to clarify what my opinion is, and that for me this isn't a case of two different equal flavors, or each only doing one thing well /complementing each other. In my mind the YanYin is an upgrade. I don't need to "bear with" any deficiencies while enjoying what it does excellently.
(I completely understand and respect disagreement with that, clearly others hear the the Globes differently to how I do.)

It's still Penon's best of the 3 I've tried (Orb, Fan, Globe), just for my definition of good, the Globe was really getting there, and the Aladdin is there.

Sorry for any poor phrasing, on phone.

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #343 of 2,418
Is this all completely personal and and different from person to person? Absolutely. I just wanted to clarify what my opinion is, and that for me this isn't a case of two different equal flavors, or each only doing one thing well /complementing each other. In my mind the YanYin is an upgrade. I don't need to "bear with" any deficiencies while enjoying what it does excellently.

I respect your opinion. We're just venturing deep into the realm of preference here. The Aladdin has greater balance and versatility with fewer sacrifices over a greater bredth of music. However, it just doesn't give me the body and weight I need in the lower end for some of my music, nor the warmth I seek for some vocals performances.

Whether it is an upgrade to the Globe will depend on how strongly you're weighting certain characteristics, which itself will depend on preference.

I can't deny the tuning prowess on show with the Aladdin though.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #344 of 2,418
Just for the sake of my 2 cents, at least for my taste I have to agree to disagree.

I feel the Globe had to make compromises in order to achieve the low end it has. I think the tuners really tried to avoid it, and got close.

That puts it among all kinds of earphones I can think of that "do x well, but that makes them worse at y".

That by no means makes it a bad set, it is very good. One of my too picks ever is the NM2+, but it's another trade-off tuning, perhaps moreso than the Globes. It's normal for even extremelyg ood sets to have their area of excellence hamper other areas.

To my ears YanYin is one of the few, if not only, that sound like they are tuned without compromise, at least in terms of bass, mids, and treble working together. And not by avoiding low end, that itself would be a compromise, or easy way out. Of course if it tried to get away with the same amount of bass as the Globes it would run into the same technical challenges.

I'll put it this way: I think the Globes sound excellent but would only listen to them for so long, and not for all tracks. Whereas for me the I don't need to tailor my listening or habits to the YanYin.

(I completely understand and respect disagreement with that, clearly others hear the the Globes differently to how I do.)

It's still Penon's best of the 3 I've tried (Orb, Fan, Globe), just for my definition of good, the Globe was really getting there, and the Aladdin is there.

Sorry for any poor phrasing, on phone.

My crying wallet has been telling me to stay away but I had to visit...

I am a huge fan of the Globe. I don't see or hear that it makes compromises. Nothing I have can make a digital track sound so "vinyl". People might not like that type of coloration. Using the green/grey stock tips, to my ears, the bass is a bit overbearing. BUT, if you put ePro Horns (regular or inverted) on the Globe, the Globe leaps into the ethers.

I think @ian91 sums it up well:

Pros: Rich & organic midrange with excellent timbre
Very comfortable fit
Great technicalities
Excellent male vocals, good female vocals
Non-fatiguing
Cons: Bass texture & detail could be better

The Alladin sounds like it is right up my alley as a complement to the Globe. That said, I have the Thie Audio Legacy 5 that seems to have significant overlap with the Alladin but has a more relaxed presentation. Where the Globe, to my ears, is luxurious the L5 is slightly leaner. I prefere female vocals with the L5 but I have not heard an earphone that does male vocals better than the Globe. I do not have a better set than the L5 for JPop and female vocals in general. the L5 tames the nasal peakiness with some vocalists while sounding like floating on air.

For classic rock, classical, electronic, woodwinds/violin, and for guttural bass tunes the Globe rules. Like this tune:

It would be nice if @MRSallee could get his hands on an Alladin. He seems to be a fan of the L5 also. I think he could give some great insight and perspective. We have it so good with audio nowadays.

I have to stay away from the forum. I will spend too much money on great equipment. I need to save money for my music creation/production hobby at this time. I. Must. Stay. Away. or I will be lead into temptation. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #345 of 2,418
Would @Dsnuts or someone who has the LZ A7 be able to offer a comparison, especially regarding imaging, layering, soundstage, note weight, and resolution? Especially interested in the midrange characteristics versus the A7 on gold or black monitor config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back