Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 18, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #1,876 of 2,418
Are you talking here about OG ej07 or ej07m? I heard quite a lot of people talking how ej07m works great with metal. Some say that the trebles are a weak point, do you mean that Mahina is better in that regard?
What do you drive ej07m from? And is it balanced or single ended? :)
I really liked Penons Volt but the fit was the problem...so ej07m being somewhat similar to Volt with better fit might also work for me...plus a lot cheaper than Mahina... :)
Ej07m, just not the kinda lava tuning. I run it balanced, and it scales well with more power. Yes, metal is an Ej07m strong point. It can handle the speed and busyness well. Mahina isn’t weak though.

I know some folks find the treble sharp on the Ej07m, but it only very occasionally can be shouty. A little more bite, which I like sometimes I guess. The Mahina treble is dialed down, but more accurate or balanced. So, yeah, I’d say the Mahina has a little better treble/e-stat implementation overall. I don’t really get any wispiness on the Ej07m that some reviews talk about. I wouldn’t say I’m a very sophisticated listener that could really pinpoint those qualities. So I’d trust proper reviews over me. There’s a place for both with my library.

The fit for the Ej07m is tough for a lot of folks. The nozzle is on the shorter side. Fortunately it works well for me. Unless you go the custom route, Mahina has a better fit.

Technically the Ej07m is more expensive retail, but they run sales all the time. I got mine for under $480. Letshuoer has great customer service. Mahina would be a safer bet overall though

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #1,877 of 2,418
Ej07m, just not the kinda lava tuning. I run it balanced, and it scales well with more power. Yes, metal is an Ej07m strong point. It can handle the speed and busyness well. Mahina isn’t weak though.

I know some folks find the treble sharp on the Ej07m, but it only very occasionally can be shouty. A little more bite, which I like sometimes I guess. The Mahina treble is dialed down, but more accurate or balanced. So, yeah, I’d say the Mahina has a little better treble/e-stat implementation overall. I don’t really get any wispiness on the Ej07m that some reviews talk about. I wouldn’t say I’m a very sophisticated listener that could really pinpoint those qualities. So I’d trust proper reviews over me. There’s a place for both with my library.

The fit for the Ej07m is tough for a lot of folks. The nozzle is on the shorter side. Fortunately it works well for me. Unless you go the custom route, Mahina has a better fit.

Technically the Ej07m is more expensive retail, but they run sales all the time. I got mine for under $480.
Thanks for the explanation :) I'm hoping to get "one last set" and take a looooong break from all this gear nonsense :D

want to sell my Dap also so if Mahina both fits better and is easier to drive so it's a big plus for me. Can you imagine if normal Moonlight might be more suitable for metal? It sounds like Mahina is the way to go to get more low end impact, not sure if there are any treble differences between them... I loved est treble on Penons Volt and it sounds like Mahina has something similar actually :)

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #1,878 of 2,418
I would like to know if moonlight equalized like a mahina would sound the same, because the difference is really minimal. For me, the moonlight bass is perfect just the way it is. I have not needed to rise it, but I'm open minded and will do some testing.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #1,879 of 2,418
Mahina treble is never sharp for me. I’ve never heard the Variations so I can’t compare. The Ej07m OG has a similar low end graph to the variations. Ej07m bass is deep and strong, but kick drums and bass lines sit back a bit due to the mid bass scoop. No muddiness, less warmth, but more room for mids. With the Mahina you get more mid bass, warmth, but still no muddiness. I like both.

The Ej07m is more energetic up top. I wouldn’t call it sparkly, but it has more sparkle than the Mahina. So, I’d say the Ej07m has more perceived detail, but the Mahina has more actual detail and separation. Both have large soundstages. Mahina is probably wider, and the Ej07m is deeper.

Old soul like Sam Cooke or the Marvelettes sound amazing on the Mahina. As did The Beach Boys. Live recordings like the Allman brothers - Mountain Jam sound phenomenal. The Ej07m sounds good with electronic, hip hop, and some rock. Metal sounds better on the Ej07m. The Mahina sounds good with almost everything in my library, and handles softer music like blossom dearie or Paul Simon much better. The snare in Graceland can be harsh, and Mahina dials it down without losing the energy.
Glad you like it that way :relaxed: but I think I'll be happier that I went with the standard version of the Moonlight. I suspect the added energy in the lower mids is what's giving you that impression of the highs. Other reviews of the standard version are seeing more energy in the highs than the EJ07m.

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,880 of 2,418
I would like to know if moonlight equalized like a mahina would sound the same, because the difference is really minimal. For me, the moonlight bass is perfect just the way they is. I have not needed to rise it, but I'm open minded and will do some testing.
flicked on bass boost on my IFI signature. Absolutely fun bass lines from the Moonlight. Something like BTR7 with PEQ I am gonna try with the moonlights but I dont see why not. I feel the same way. Moonlight needs nothing more added or taken away in its tuning but for those times when a bit of extra kick is needed. Bio dynamics are very good like that.

Aug 18, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,882 of 2,418
Glad you like it that way :relaxed: but I think I'll be happier that I went with the standard version of the Moonlight. I suspect the added energy in the lower mids is what's giving you that impression of the highs. Other reviews of the standard version are seeing more energy in the highs than the EJ07m.
Probably. I am by no means a skilled listener and hope people don’t take my experience as such.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,884 of 2,418
Aug 18, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,885 of 2,418
My Moonlight’s arrived today. 9 days from date of order from Penon - excellent service.

They are my upgrade / change of sound from the Fiio FH7 although I do like the Fiio’s. I have to say I’m absolutely loving the sound. Beautifully balanced, great space, excellent bass and smooth treble.
The first album I played was Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes, an album where I have previously found the treble harsh on one set of headphone. No harshness at all with the Moonlight.

Changed the tips to Sedna Earfit Crystal due to comfort isssue with stock tips. Very happy now.

Have a Shanling M6 Ultra on order and I expect they will pair up nicely.

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #1,886 of 2,418
1660906960867 v2.jpg

My extensive review of the new Yanyin x HBB Mahina is out and you can read it here.

Hope you enjoy the reading and have a nice weekend!

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #1,887 of 2,418
Still no movement on the mahina 🥺 ordered 8 days ago.

Hoping someone will compare it to the Variations soon, which is my current favorite tribrid set that I own.

Starting to wonder if I should have gotten the moonlight instead since my library is 90% metal

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #1,889 of 2,418
Still no movement on the mahina 🥺 ordered 8 days ago.

Hoping someone will compare it to the Variations soon, which is my current favorite tribrid set that I own.

Starting to wonder if I should have gotten the moonlight instead since my library is 90% metal

They are literally polar opposites, buddy.

Your best bet is EJ07m for all that metal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back