Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 17, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #1,861 of 2,418
I've been exposing myself to the Mahina for the past couple of days and, truth be told, it's one of the best purchases I have made in this hobby so far for a handful of reasons.

1) The fit is perfectly fine (one of the smallest tribrid footprints available)
2) The price, although steep for many, is totally justified and I would dare to call this a value set
3) The sound

Instead of breaking down the sound characteristics, let's just say that the Mahina is a monitor you can listen for hours upon hours, without sacrificing anything from the presentation -and when I say anything, I mean it. I find myself listening to it for longer periods compared to anything I have owned in the past (both thanks to the fit and the inoffensive sound).

My only nitpick would be that on certain tracks, vocals can be a bit too in your face thus leading to minor sibilance. However, this could be source or tip dependent.
Generally, vocals sit quite up front but are not harsh by any means, so I'm totally nitpicking here.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the Mahina and I'd be glad to help.
I think that its sound signature will be to my liking, I would like to know how is the texture, the impact and the speed of the bass to make the final decision :) thanks!

Aug 17, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #1,862 of 2,418
How can it handle complex and busy stuff? Listen to metal mostly, do you think it can work for that? I was almost set on ISN h50 or Moonlight(mostly cuz Canon was already good, easy to drie and fitting really well, so like you said Mahina/Moonlight is really good option for small tribrid) I'm a bit unsure about the the vocals you mentioned...
It handles complex music just fine. I listen to mostly metal and never do I feel it gets congested. The layering does its trick to keep things separated.
That said, the vocals stand out in the mix and are crystal clear. They aren't tiring or extremely sibilant, just some tracks can exhibit minor traces of it, in my experience.
I would go for the Mahina if I were you.

Aug 17, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #1,863 of 2,418
I think that its sound signature will be to my liking, I would like to know how is the texture, the impact and the speed of the bass to make the final decision :) thanks!
Bass is definitely warm and enveloping. Sub extension is exemplary, EDM sounds great on these. Speed is fine, as I said I listen to metal and it never stays behind. Texture is okay, nothing to write home about but certainly not bad either. Mid bass impact could be a bit more, maybe it still needs some burn in, but it slams when needed, albeit not like a truck :dt880smile:

Bass isn't bad in any way, just me having experienced better low frequency response (Sennheiser IE 900).

What stands out to me on the Mahina is the engagement factor. It makes you want to listen more and more. Hope I helped!

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #1,864 of 2,418
Good afternoon! I reacted this way to Moonlight, because we had four cases of selling these headphones and not a single sensible review. And what was I supposed to think about it? That's right - it means not everything is so good with these headphones, and here, judging by the reviews and impressions of the owners, this is a damn cool set. So I was in a bad mood about the acquisition of Moonlight. I've been burned enough times on the wrong purchases of quite expensive headphones and try to exclude absolutely all wrong actions. 650 dollars is quite a serious amount for Russians, including me. Luck did not turn away from me this time either and gave me the opportunity to purchase perfectly tuned and technically verified headphones. I was very lucky with Canon and I still don't believe that headphones can sound like that for $300.
If we compare Moonlight with Canon at settings 000, then in Canon the Low frequencies are a little more quantitatively, but they are just as well controlled without bleeding from the ears. In Moonlight, the quantity and quality of low frequencies are excellent. They will be enough for many people.
The midrange frequencies in Moonlight are slightly raised relative to Canon 000, which gives a juicy sound to the vocals and gives additional anger and drive to electric guitars. I really like this part of the frequency response.
The high frequencies of Moonlight are fine. To my ears, the EST driver in Moonlight is cooked perfectly. I don't hear greased and veiled plates. Shine and air in high frequencies are present in moderate amounts and even plumes and attenuations can be heard. The high frequencies are similar to Canon at settings 000. But they are so well tuned in these two sets that I don't even pay attention to it anymore. In Canon, I don't want to raise the high frequencies to 001, since it's enough for me. With EST drivers I heard AAW Canary, **** ST7, Shuoer EJ07, UM MEST 1/2. Moonlight is the only set where the treble frequencies are tuned properly. Shuoer EJ07 are wonderful headphones, if not for their high frequencies. What is the meaning of 4 EST, I still did not understand. Perhaps over time the speaker will play out in Moonlight, but it seems to me that it takes very little time to warm up.
I listen to various directions of death metal and I can shamelessly recommend Moonlight as a set for listening to rock and metal. For $650, it's a real find. The headphones will beat the space exactly, all the existing instrument separations can be heard perfectly. Headphones do not disrupt the natural course of events in the recording and do not introduce incomprehensible sounds into the content. :) The headphones themselves are very beautifully and qualitatively made, the shells are anatomically very comfortable and quite small. I was pleased with the Moonlight set itself. Yanyin took care of the listeners and put in a set of excellent quality cable, which there is no point in changing to something else.. There is nothing superfluous in the set. The only quibble is that they could have put a cleaning brush in the kit. But this is not a problem - it can be found.
That's probably all I'd like to write about them.

Attachments

• IMG_20220817_191552.jpg
    IMG_20220817_191552.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 17, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,867 of 2,418
So has anyone in the USA seen their Mahina ship yet? Mine has said "Paid - Unfulfilled" for the last week on Linsoul
Mine shipped via DHL on Monday 8/8 and I got it 8/12. I ordered pretty quickly once it was available. I think, once the stock they had on hand sold, orders had to wait for the next batch (3-7 business days I believe). I bet yours will ship soon

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,869 of 2,418
how do you like it?
I like it. Took me a while to find the right tips. Clear/green tips that came with Serial are my favorite so far, but stock silicone are great too. Fit is good. It didn’t wow me at first with the treble tuning, but it’s really grown on me. The soundstage, imaging, and detail is excellent. It’s quite engaging, and good for long listening sessions. The bass is great. Quality and quantity is right for me. The bass can be strong/surprising at times. It’s not loose or undefined though.

Like everyone has said, low power sources with low output impedance are best. Too much power pushes voices too far forward for me. I’ve preferred brighter, more analytical sources: k9 pro (low gain), and Sa-1. I didn’t like how it sounded on the m3x. link2 bal and m15 were pretty good. It’ll take as much resolution as you give it.

It’ll stick around. It’s unique and complementary to my other favorites (Ej07m, RSV, Serial), and I just like it. I crossed into my 40’s, and my higher frequency sensitivity isn’t what it used to be. The treble tuning will be good for most folks I bet. I can give you some more specific details with specific songs if you’d like

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,870 of 2,418
My per
I like it. Took me a while to find the right tips. Clear/green tips that came with Serial are my favorite so far, but stock silicone are great too. Fit is good. It didn’t wow me at first with the treble tuning, but it’s really grown on me. The soundstage, imaging, and detail is excellent. It’s quite engaging, and good for long listening sessions. The bass is great. Quality and quantity is right for me. The bass can be strong/surprising at times. It’s not loose or undefined though.

Like everyone has said, low power sources with low output impedance are best. Too much power pushes voices too far forward for me. I’ve preferred brighter, more analytical sources: k9 pro (low gain), and Sa-1. I didn’t like how it sounded on the m3x. link2 bal and m15 were pretty good. It’ll take as much resolution as you give it.

It’ll stick around. It’s unique and complementary to my other favorites (Ej07m, RSV, Serial), and I just like it. I crossed into my 40’s, and my higher frequency sensitivity isn’t what it used to be. The treble tuning will be good for most folks I bet. I can give you some more specific details with specific songs if you’d like
my current daily driver and personal favorite is the Moondrop Variations. I like the amount of bass and the detail and imaging. The one thing I don't like is how the treble can seem kind of sharp at times during certain songs.

With the mahina I was hoping to get something with similarly good bass and overall tuning, but a more relaxed treble presentation. It was between the Mahina and the thieaudio clairvoyance or maybe the EJ07M Lava. I went with the Mahina to try a new brand.

Aug 17, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,871 of 2,418

How does it compare to EJ07m? How they are complimentary? Got myself EJ07m with slightly boosted highs, more detailed and lively sounding than stock version, wonder if Moonlight worth getting.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,872 of 2,418
My per

my current daily driver and personal favorite is the Moondrop Variations. I like the amount of bass and the detail and imaging. The one thing I don't like is how the treble can seem kind of sharp at times during certain songs.

With the mahina I was hoping to get something with similarly good bass and overall tuning, but a more relaxed treble presentation. It was between the Mahina and the thieaudio clairvoyance or maybe the EJ07M Lava. I went with the Mahina to try a new brand.
Mahina treble is never sharp for me. I’ve never heard the Variations so I can’t compare. The Ej07m OG has a similar low end graph to the variations. Ej07m bass is deep and strong, but kick drums and bass lines sit back a bit due to the mid bass scoop. No muddiness, less warmth, but more room for mids. With the Mahina you get more mid bass, warmth, but still no muddiness. I like both.

The Ej07m is more energetic up top. I wouldn’t call it sparkly, but it has more sparkle than the Mahina. So, I’d say the Ej07m has more perceived detail, but the Mahina has more actual detail and separation. Both have large soundstages. Mahina is probably wider, and the Ej07m is deeper.

Old soul like Sam Cooke or the Marvelettes sound amazing on the Mahina. As did The Beach Boys. Live recordings like the Allman brothers - Mountain Jam sound phenomenal. The Ej07m sounds good with electronic, hip hop, and some rock. Metal sounds better on the Ej07m. The Mahina sounds good with almost everything in my library, and handles softer music like blossom dearie or Paul Simon much better. The snare in Graceland can be harsh, and Mahina dials it down without losing the energy.

Aug 17, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #1,873 of 2,418
I think the Canon is a tremendously good IEM for the money.

Attachments

• 20220817_183157.jpg
    20220817_183157.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220817_183232.jpg
    20220817_183232.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 18, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #1,874 of 2,418
Mahina treble is never sharp for me. I’ve never heard the Variations so I can’t compare. The Ej07m OG has a similar low end graph to the variations. Ej07m bass is deep and strong, but kick drums and bass lines sit back a bit due to the mid bass scoop. No muddiness, less warmth, but more room for mids. With the Mahina you get more mid bass, warmth, but still no muddiness. I like both.

The Ej07m is more energetic up top. I wouldn’t call it sparkly, but it has more sparkle than the Mahina. So, I’d say the Ej07m has more perceived detail, but the Mahina has more actual detail and separation. Both have large soundstages. Mahina is probably wider, and the Ej07m is deeper.

Old soul like Sam Cooke or the Marvelettes sound amazing on the Mahina. As did The Beach Boys. Live recordings like the Allman brothers - Mountain Jam sound phenomenal. The Ej07m sounds good with electronic, hip hop, and some rock. Metal sounds better on the Ej07m. The Mahina sounds good with almost everything in my library, and handles softer music like blossom dearie or Paul Simon much better. The snare in Graceland can be harsh, and Mahina dials it down without losing the energy.
Are you talking here about OG ej07 or ej07m? I heard quite a lot of people talking how ej07m works great with metal. Some say that the trebles are a weak point, do you mean that Mahina is better in that regard?
What do you drive ej07m from? And is it balanced or single ended? :)
I really liked Penons Volt but the fit was the problem...so ej07m being somewhat similar to Volt with better fit might also work for me...plus a lot cheaper than Mahina... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back