Yamaha YH-100 Orthodynamic on eBay
Apr 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #32 of 50
Yes I am Looing for the Leather Head band For My YH100 Headphones

THe Plastic Out edge the borders the leather snapped and broke
I am having a very hard time finding a replacement.

I searched Up and down the internet looking Did not have much luck

I found a Place in England that sells this part But they dont ship to the USA.
Anybody have any idea on this? or has a broken Headphone and want to see it for this part i need

THANKS
Dimi

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimigrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I am Looing for the Leather Head band For My YH100 Headphones

THe Plastic Out edge the borders the leather snapped and broke
I am having a very hard time finding a replacement.

I searched Up and down the internet looking Did not have much luck

I found a Place in England that sells this part But they dont ship to the USA.
Anybody have any idea on this? or has a broken Headphone and want to see it for this part i need

THANKS
Dimi

hi,
Im in England, if you send me an email (click my name) I can help you get one to USA

regards

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #34 of 50
UPDATE, April 2010: Another pair, #260589114622, went for $172.50 plus shipping on Apr 26.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #35 of 50
What??? Really! Is this a one off, or what has happended to see a 10 fold price increase on orthos? I was thinking of selling some of my my orthos - perhaps I should hold onto them as investment.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #36 of 50
haha, I think it's just a phase they're going through, and was started by that $400 Yamaha ortho. I think now would be the best time to sell yours, Charlie.

But, man, I guess I kinda have the same sentiment: have orthos gotten enough attention that they're fetching this kind of money? I mean, someone should get the memo to Yamaha, that they can fetch this kinda money if they made a new ortho.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #37 of 50
? $172 is a normal price. The $400 was an anomoly.
Usually for the past few years theyv been going for $160-230.
YH-100 goes for more than the others Usually.

May 9, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #38 of 50
I've got a pair of YH-1s that I'm really enjoying atm, thinking about changing the pads and adding some dampening but before I do would like to know what they are worth as would hate to change them and devalue them.

Have looked on ebay and other sites expired listings and haven't found anything, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #40 of 50
I love the info here and enjoy what everyone is saying. I luckily got a pair of yh-100's in very good condition for free from a friend and didn't use them much at first when I decided that they needed too much power for me to use. These aren't modified. After putting them on eBay a week ago at a starting $125-, and dealing with a third party buyer that was going to freight them to Japan, which worried me that they wouldn't make it in one piece, I changed my mind, retracted the winning bid and gave them another listen. After a week of listening every day I now find that I love their sound over my Grado sr60 and AKG K701, just playing them through a modern Yamaha receiver. They do have a lot of bass, and the mids are a little muffled depending on the music, but they actually feel like they move more than my others. I guess you have to go by what you feel, and these feel great musically to me, because I hear and feel sounds dispersing excellently in and around the driver. They are very nice to wear too, you barely notice that they are pretty heavy. I even like them better than Grado 325s that I sampled yesterday at a local hi-end audio store with their expensive set-up. The Yamaha yh-100 seem to be the total package of comfort, style and sound. I also have some Koss Pro/4X plus, around the same age, that i love because they need very little power to run, are very light and so comfortable. I love both of these near 30yo headphones every time I put them on and wonder what happened to the good old days. I guess good companies that made good and advanced products at one time had to go mainly with the cheap and reliable products in order to compete with the cheapest of competitors. Technology is awesome, as long as the materials are good, and these older products don't seem to skimp out in these areas. Now-a-days it seem like the majority of people go for very technological and cheap products, i.e. best buy crap, or the Hi-enders go for the expensive materials of simpler and proven technology. The only downside to using older products I can see is finding parts.    

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 50
Update on my YH-100 experience. Five days ago I got a 20 year old JVC XL-F106 CDP for $10- at Good Will. It seems to have a little more output power in the headphone jack than my Yamaha receiver did. I was mostly listening to CD's in a DVD player anyway, but the DVD player didn't have a headphone jack and I had to use a my receiver, which sounded alright. Now, with the JVC CDP I have put about 40 more hours on these Orthos, and love every minute.

I'm listening to a lot of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and The Ravonettes, which use a lot of distortion and seem to take a special headphone. The Yamaha does it better than anything else I have, as mentioned above. Put your setup to the test with "Mars, Arizona" by Blues Explosion. It's off of the Damage album, which is a sick album for sure. I tested all my headphones with that song. The Yamahas gave the least distorted and clearest version of that low bass, the others I either couldn't hear it or it was not as clear.   

Next, I plan looking for a better CDP with a headphone jack at thrift store. Someday I'll get a real headphone amp/dac combo. Other than trying to prove that early stuff was great, I hope I have given you a reason to either keep your orthos, or look for a pair. Also, searching for Orthos on eBay today I found ads for Sony Electrostatic from 1975 and Marantz from 1974, but I didn't see any for sale.     

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #43 of 50
Wait till you put some felt behind that driver. 
eek.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #44 of 50

Quote:
Wait till you put some felt behind that driver. 
eek.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
What? I can't hear anything with these Yamahas on!  LOL. OK, now I think I'm really going deaf. Maybe that's why they stopped making them!!! They are so freaking loud. I did read all the ortho round-up stuff, and how to do dampen them, but I'm not quite against what Yamaha's engineering has done on the 100's, yet. I think I'll wait to dampen these, at least until I can afford some Audeze to replace them, in case they fall apart in the process. 

Until then, can anyone recommend a good hearing aid?

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 50
Hi James
I just picked up a pair of YH-100s at a Goodwill in Portland for $24.99 (today wasn't a red-tag discount day - darn!)  But by my examination, they look to be in excellent condition.  I am amazed at the quality of the construction.  Leather headstrap and pads, screws, metal, substantial wires and HEFT.  These things are absolute quality.  I haven't listened to them yet b/c I wanted to know if I got a good deal or just threw away $24 bucks, but I got lucky, it looks like.  Thanks very much for this thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back