Yamaha YH-100 Orthodynamic on eBay
Apr 1, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gav17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPDATE, April 2010: Another pair, #280484287093, went for $417 plus shipping on Apr 01.

guess mine just went up in value then ^_^ considering i payed like 250

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still think it is better than the HE-5 in some ways..

Yeah, price and comfort.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, price and comfort.

comfort no...but sound wise i find it more to my liking than a HE-5..again this is just that one particular YH-100 that was modded by dBel84.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

comfort no...but sound wise i find it more to my liking than a HE-5..again this is just that one particular YH-100 that was modded by dBel84.

they definitely have more bass then he-5s

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 50
It really does appear that the early HE-5s had production variation problems. The example I heard at the local meet in Feb had wonderful bass.

Rule of thumb: the best results from a modding adventure will most likely be had from a headphone that's very bassy in stock form. This indicates the driver is tuned low. Modding will change the tuning upward, so you want to start as low as possible. The YH-100 is not much different from its Ortho brethren with one exception: it's tuned much lower. Some, not all, HP-3s and HP-50s are tuned almost as low.

So in that sense, yes, it's something innate, since driver tuning is set at the factory. This is true of the HE-5 as well and is directly related to its diaphragm mass and tension. Getting consistent tension in mass production is not trivial, so we shouldn't be surprised to hear stories of differing sounds from a startup model. I suspect the early high retail price of Yamaha's Orthos was due to the difficulty of getting consistent quality in production-- and the first-gen Orthos weren't even tensioned.

And yes, bending the metal headband ever so gently in small steps is the key to getting the right clamping force.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

what do you think of the one I have? did you get a chance to hear it?

I wonder if the reason for the price on those orthos was a post I made comparing them to the O2's,,, saying they have a similar tonal signature, and that the first thing you notice is an increase in soundstage size.
There are of course other differences as well, like resolution and soundstage layering, but my first thought actually was, hey these are pretty similar to the yh100's.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you think of the one I have? did you get a chance to hear it?

haha..indeed i did..the one you have was mine and it went through a lot of iterations on the damping scheme.

It is definitely darker than the HE-5 or even the LCD-1.

BUt it has a much better low freq response (will give you that rumble, hit hard and faster than the HE-5)the HE-5 or the LCD-1 wouldn't match it in midrange performance, i still think yamaha orthos have among the best midrange response.

So the ones you have aren't balanced throughout the freq spectrum like dBel84's are. The ones you have were tuned for more impact and weight to the low end with some sacrifice on the highs.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 50
YH100 is definitely one of my favourite orthos, glad "my" pair are still getting use
wink.gif
..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back