Yamaha PRO Headphones.
Feb 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #242 of 531
Was I close in my assessment of the two? And is there anything you disagree with? I don't want to give misleading information because I remembered the details incorrectly.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #244 of 531
Quote:
I would say it pretty accurate, but my preference leans towards the Pro 500's slightly brighter signature. The M100's still my go to headphones because thier size and portability.

That's a good way to put it I guess... (also, the more prominent mids on the Pro helps also!)

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #245 of 531
Quote:
I would say it pretty accurate, but my preference leans towards the Pro 500's slightly brighter signature. The M100's still my go to headphones because thier size and portability.

Quote:

That's a good way to put it I guess... (also, the more prominent mids on the Pro helps also!)

I imagine the PRO 500 shines with classic rock.  Is that the case?

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #248 of 531
Quote:
I still would like to compare the ATH-ES10 before coughing up the dough for the Ultrasone Signature series.

Are you looking for lots of bass? I believe that those ATs have similar "boomy" bass as the Yamaha Pros and the Signature Pros at least have not as much impact but tight bass.

The difference though will be in comfort. Audio Technica uses the WORSE "pleather" earpads in existance for their "cheaper" headphones, so you'll probably look to replace them ASAP (happened to me with the A900x and the M50s were crappy too!).

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #249 of 531
I listen to mostly EDM, Hip Hop & R&B on the go, so I would like a nice low end when its called for. I would also prefer quality over quantity when it comes to bass. Next time I go down to B&H, I'll give the Sig Pro's a listen.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #250 of 531
Quote:
I listen to mostly EDM, Hip Hop & R&B on the go, so I would like a nice low end when its called for. I would also prefer quality over quantity when it comes to bass. Next time I go down to B&H, I'll give the Sig Pro's a listen.

Got it.
Actually, I believe that most of the closed-back headphones I've tried lately do Ok with those genres. M100, Denon D600, Yamaha Pro 500s, Signature Pros, heck, even my Mad Dogs perform well... but I guess it will be about how much quantity you'd like to have on the low-end and your "mids" preference and portability. You'll have to put everything in order (from isolation, to looks/fashion, to sound preference, etc.) and make your selection.

(of course, trying them before buying is better yet! :wink:)

Good luck!

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #251 of 531
Quote:

I imagine the PRO 500 shines with classic rock.  Is that the case?

They sounded pretty good playing Boston and Journey... so if you call that "classic" rock, then yes! :wink:

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #254 of 531
I was able to score a pair of the Pro 500's on last weeks Amazon sale for $301. Just got them today, I'll post some pics of my headphone collection and thoughts when I have more time with them. Initial thoughts; these sound NOTHING like the Studios from Beats that they resemble so much. Matter of fact, in person they don't look that much alike. The similarities are more in how they fold, the mechanism of hinges, etc. but the Yamahas are bigger. They weigh about the same.

i like the way the pro 500's sound and love that they have a portable 4' cable and also 10' to listen at home. Through the iPhone and iPad they sound warm and detailed but theere is a slight veil in the midrange. They do not sound muddy at all. Tomorrow I want to spend sometime listening via the Woo Audio and Benchmark HPA's. I expect the already strong and dynamic sound to be even more so.

The Yamahas are much more neutral than the Beats. The bass is nowhere near as emphasized. But, I actually enjoy listening to the Beats. I own  several Beats: Studios, MixRs, and the Executives. The Executives being bay far the best sounding if you can get past the hiss of the noise canceling. 

if your looking for a great pair of headphones, I would strongly recommend the Audio Technica  M50's.  For $126 to $159 bucks I have yet to hear a better headphone. Not as good looking as the Yamahas, but the M50's  definitely sound better  to me. The sound is strong and accurate without picking the music apart like some "audiophile" headphones do.

so you know a bit about my taste: I use Beyer 880's / 600 when I listen to vinyl on my Woo w2, and go between the Sennhieser 700's and Beyer 990 /600 for digital playback and go between the Benchmark and Woo. I really like the Woo and use it quite a bit more than the Benchmark. And I actually prefer the 990's most of the time. At work, I only use the M50s because I need closed back set. For long plane trips I pack B&W P5's. to jog and short trips I use the B&W C5 in ears.

i use the Beats whenever I want to have some fun with music. Especially the MixRs, they are really punchy and compressed and exciting! Hate them or love them, they all have a sound signature that, to my ears it's equivelant to cranking the brightness and color on a tv monitor so that the reds and greens jump out of the screen.

like the Yamahas a lot, but that's because I collect HPs and go between them often. If I had to pick a pair of cans and use them exclusively, it would have to be the M50's. I just wish their cord was detachable and there was a smaller cable to go portable with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back