Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jun 19, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #1,186 of 3,295
Hello, I have also bought one of these soundhats. I've had em a couple weeks, got em for $100 bucks used. Mostly using the old fiio x3 tho I also have access to a 2nd gen one. 
The brainwavz pleather memory foam pad things are way better than the original pads, which are like some sick joke of an ear torture fetishist. By default the hard plastic great drive straight into my tender and apparently massive ears. Driving my ears into the lower right corner with the headband clamped down tight with some cotton balls stuck under the pads on that side sorta helped, but that's no way to live.

I ended up stuffing cottonballs all over the place in there, and the sound did change massively, which I hope means I can manage to boost 5k up a bit. My issue is the new fiio x3k2nd generation has a more distant sound, I don't really get how a dac can be distant, does the preamp have a dip in the presence range too or something?! Anyway the 5k dip on the mt220 conspires with the larger headstage of the x3ii and I find voices get completely lost in amongst the bass and treble. Is there a known way to boost 5k through headphone mods? And possibly tame the 8-9k spike a tad. 

The x3too otherwise has loads of detail, impact and seems roughly neutral. A great partner to this headphone overall, besides the issue with vocals.
X3 the first just needs a -1 on the analog eq for treble and it sounds damn nice, -2 is certainly more neutral, but that robs this headphones of a lot of its best qualities. It's more intimate but lack a lot of detail and texture and impact, still, I find it more engaging and generally prefer listening on it.

So ya i really like em lots for all their weird little foibles,especially since I've never really owned a modern V'd up sounding headphone before. I guess i post some youtubes now.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,187 of 3,295
Put your cans on...press both cups against yur ears...the vocals improved?

Open up your shoe drawer...find some old gel pad..or rubber...cut it to size...n experiment with the stuffings in the cup

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,188 of 3,295
Naw. Everything gets a bit louder, obviously, and a bit of treble goes weird, like shelved or something. I'm pretty sure the headphones are just tuned for a 5k dip for headstage.

Actually if you wanna help, download http://www.tucows.com/preview/502787/SineGen and test how your stuff sounds from bottom to top

For me it's ABOUT 3db peak at 3k and a...4db peak at 4k. Just know it sound like, one more louder to me than the 3k. 4,944 - 6,488 nearly inaudible though more audible as it goes through 6k. It's a good tuning for imaging, these really image great for a closed headphone. Finally at 8-9k peak it's.... 8db? Its the loudest of the lot. I'm obviously guessing at that db stuff, but I'm curious how it compares to your pair

I did all that on a fiiox3 1st gen the peaks are softened more on the second gen. but ya -1 on the treble and its pretty sweet.

Maybe I'll grab some dr scholls tomorrow and hunt down a 600 year old cork tree, id be surprised if one of the many headfi threads about modding dont mention things like this sometimes, especially since a 5k dip is pretty standard in close headphones.

I'll repeat the measurement on the 2ndgenfiiox3 tomorrow.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,189 of 3,295
mine is a mcAir...first gen...tiny Ram is maxed out...
havent tried those sine wave stuff actually...
more a "tune to my taste" kind of approach,
so someone else might have a more technically sound solution for your dip :p

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #1,191 of 3,295
i am using stock can with brainwavz full velor...not modded internally.
from the youtube u posted, and a few that i went thru...
( i am new to these sweeps...just listen for lower or higher volume i guess? )
there is a dip in vol in the 5k region...no sharp sound increase in the 8-9k region...v pleasant in fact. :p

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,192 of 3,295
dunno y all of a sudden,  after 6000hours, my brain has burnt in......this yammie is simply 3Dsounding, crystal... this moment.

/  or the earwax has been washed out after a longlongswim. :p

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,193 of 3,295
  dunno y all of a sudden,  after 6000hours, my brain has burnt in......this yammie is simply 3Dsounding, crystal... this moment.

/  or the earwax has been washed out after a longlongswim. :p

Whenever you say Yammie, I think of sweet potatoes. XD

Wish I could get the MT220 again soon, but I'm on a mission to try out many more headphones!

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #1,195 of 3,295
Lors, what amp/dac are you using with yammies atm ?..  jeez... I wish my setup can give me that kind of eargasms. lol

AudIogd nfb10.32 in single ended mode...
Cabledyne cables, McAir with Audirvana n AIFF music
Stock yammie with hm5angledvelor180degreereversed
Dewaxxed ear holes
:D

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,196 of 3,295

They are similar drivers, not exactly the same. It's like the drivers of Grado SR60 to SR325 are all similar.

Dynamic drivers have difference impedance value across the frequency range. So the impedance values stated in the specification just represent an average value at best.

It is the baffles on the MT-220 which are angled. Not the dynamic driver themselves.

deadhorse.gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,197 of 3,295
Lorspeaker have you tried that Sorbothane stuff yet? Guys in the Stax thread have been using it to dampen vibration in housings to great effect. It is one of the things next on my list to try out.  There is stuff with adhesive backing also. Check ebay or elsehwere for the sheet of it.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,198 of 3,295
  Lorspeaker have you tried that Sorbothane stuff yet? Guys in the Stax thread have been using it to dampen vibration in housings to great effect. It is one of the things next on my list to try out.  There is stuff with adhesive backing also. Check ebay or elsehwere for the sheet of it.

see the BLUE sticky gellike sorbo in the center...ringed by the 600yr old cork. :p
This is my fav version todate, apart from dampening the cup, 
i think the gel bamboozled the bass energy, instead of being hit by a hardmetal hammerhead,
u get hit by a rubberized hammer, but it is still a whack of a hammer :p

The cork organicized the timbre of the music... 

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,199 of 3,295
ahhhh I seeee

you find it better than Dynamat ?

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,200 of 3,295
havent tried it..hate to stick the goooo onto the cups.

the tin backed dynamat will dampen the vibrations on the cup...but it metalicised the internal reflections...
might work for a bass heavy sounding can ( like a D7k),
but i SUSPECT it wont be a big PLUS to the fast thinner yammie bass.
...S U S P E C T, just my guess :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back