Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jun 22, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,201 of 3,295
Good point, go with instinct on that. Dynamat if it heats up can also weep around a bit.
I never thought about the reflections part in this application, i always cover it with felts etc.
What's the gel called exactly?

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,202 of 3,295

some earthquake shockproof gel...found in a DIY shop..looks like it is from japan.

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #1,203 of 3,295
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/lwJPBs6wJO4[/VIDEO]

Sighhhh

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,211 of 3,295
I am listening to Lee Ann Womack's The Way I'm Livin album with the stock MT-220 with Takstar pads. The MT-220 continue to amaze me with its excellent imaging and 3D layering. It is almost T1 like.

My advice is don't go too far adding dampening to the MT-220. Dampening is always a 2 edges sword: it helps to cut down unwanted reflection and peaks, but will also rob imaging.

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,212 of 3,295
all modifications, any way of "touching" sound , either with switching pads , or cables , or gear , gives and takes to/from the Sound of the dream.
this dream sound never to be catched, you may get closer to it but never getting it...

trying to catch dream sound is fun but for now i am leaving it be and will enjoy music without thinking of gear.
always thinking about how stuff effect sound and how it could of would of sound... all the analyzing and wondering distracted me from music.

so no more distractions, music here i come )

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,213 of 3,295
by the way, alison krauss is amazing on mt220, guitar strings have good body and such immediate attack,adds to a gentle and sensitive recording boldness =) very cool!

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,214 of 3,295
all modifications, any way of "touching" sound , either with switching pads , or cables , or gear , gives and takes to/from the Sound of the dream.
this dream sound never to be catched, you may get closer to it but never getting it...

trying to catch dream sound is fun but for now i am leaving it be and will enjoy music without thinking of gear.
always thinking about how stuff effect sound and how it could of would of sound... all the analyzing and wondering distracted me from music.

so no more distractions, music here i come )

You gotta chase the dragon ;P

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,215 of 3,295
It's modulating the timbre when I use cork n leather...
N dynamic energy when I use gel n felt...
The sense of space is more affected by the distance away from the drivers...ESP by the diff pads n it's quality..lol

Just tales...shruggs

=====

it is v easy to mod/tune this can ...big space inside, n u wont break a wire easily..
it is reversible, go find some rubber, gel, cork slices...whatever catches your fancy..
just need a philips screw driver....and 10 mins...n some listening.
Give it a try ..it is DIYscience...esp first timers :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back