Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Dec 24, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #61 of 3,295

pssst ....the yamaha is becoming my fav of the three. but in preference not technicalities. 
technicalities = sony>yamaha>akg k545 but thats only from a brief listen. preference sony and yamaha are close but the yamaha is more fun and gets the head bobbin quicker. the akg well......i dunno

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #62 of 3,295
I find them a little warm in the mids compared to my regular IEM like ER4S or full size MDR-V6 personally however the tonality I'm hearing is rather agreeable. They really start pushing out clarity at higher volumes. Still a big fan, I've just been busy with Christmas break atm.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #63 of 3,295
I find them a little warm in the mids compared to my regular IEM like ER4S or full size MDR-V6 personally however the tonality I'm hearing is rather agreeable. They really start pushing out clarity at higher volumes. Still a big fan, I've just been busy with Christmas break atm.

in the lower mids or upper mids or just overall?

Compared to the sony it sounds like the lower mids.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #64 of 3,295
in the lower mids or upper mids or just overall?

Compared to the sony it sounds like the lower mids.

Yes, the lower mids is were they veil a touch, but my preferences are very cool/bright IEMs it takes some adjusting, if I just listen to the Yamaha and nothing else they clear up. Because I'm switching constantly between different gear it plays games with me. And I'm using a coolish amp and silver interconnect cable for them.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #66 of 3,295
Man these hp's are gonna be keepers. I wanna see what I can do to improve them. Pad swapping and dampening etc. I just don't know how to do it. I think they would clean up a bit with that. The pads are really close to the ears. But if you take the pads off you can see that they angled the drivers. 

The soundstage on them is great already... Just want to clean up the sound a bit. If anyone knows how I should go about trying to dampen these give me a hollar. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #67 of 3,295
Every hp i try I still want to keep these... the bass, the attack, the mids are clearing up (could be me trying to mod them or burn in), the highs are nice. I am getting some alpha pads soon too. 

I don't care if I am one of the 3 people here to own these, they are really good...

People are sleeping on these hp's

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #69 of 3,295

You make them sound very comfy.

biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #71 of 3,295
  Every hp i try I still want to keep these... the bass, the attack, the mids are clearing up (could be me trying to mod them or burn in), the highs are nice. I am getting some alpha pads soon too. 

I don't care if I am one of the 3 people here to own these, they are really good...

People are sleeping on these hp's

To me, they were pretty good - just undistinguished compared to their competition.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #72 of 3,295
Tried them again through both my Studio V DAPs and they do not agree at all, I've tried, it just sounds dark and rather compressed. Soon as I go back to that little BH amp providing them some power they sound like a completly different headphone. The mids clear up, the clarity comes out and they sound great again. I'm craving to try with some different amps. Rather picky with sources I'm finding.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #73 of 3,295
Tried them again through both my Studio V DAPs and they do not agree at all, I've tried, it just sounds dark and rather compressed. Soon as I go back to that little BH amp providing them some power they sound like a completly different headphone. The mids clear up, the clarity comes out and they sound great again. I'm craving to try with some different amps. Rather picky with sources I'm finding.

That is the word I am looking for "compressed". DARK huh? thats weird maybe the amp. I think of them as slightly bright with a warm bass. On some songs the vocals sound good and on others they sound over compressed. I don't know if it is because heavily compressed vocals sound horrible or what. I don't know. They do sound better than at first....I am too lazy to take all of the filter material I put in them to find out.

To me, they were pretty good - just undistinguished compared to their competition.

what was their competition?-NADS I was gonna try those but then saw how small the cups were and skipped it. I prefer them to the momentums though the momentums are a bit more transparent in the mids they don't have the same instrument separation and soundstage or punch.

also you are not the only one that has tried them and found them not to be stand out.Where did you try them?

all I know is that vs the akg 545 I put these on and my head starts moving automatically. Part of the fuel behind my subjectivity is that I listen to a lot of studio production and stuff I have to write music to....  they have the attack, punch, tonal balance and tuning to make me excited to use them. They are also detailed and reveal bad production more so than the akg k545 similar to the 7520.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #74 of 3,295
Been following in the background here, I saw you posted about Alpha Pads and thought I would show you guys these cheaper options, maybe not as tall(?)  Was looking at these for other projects here and thought since you were toying with pad rolling...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-AH-D2000-D5000-D7000-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphone-/261349307920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item8271bf2aa6

Another fantastic product for interior filler ( grizzlybeast you mentioned that also ) is the Twaron Angel Hair ( special acoustic filler )it can add a certain something awesome in the right proportions. Sample 100 gram bag is enough for a lifetime of mods

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #75 of 3,295
  Been following in the background here, I saw you posted about Alpha Pads and thought I would show you guys these cheaper options, maybe not as tall(?)  Was looking at these for other projects here and thought since you were toying with pad rolling...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-AH-D2000-D5000-D7000-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphone-/261349307920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item8271bf2aa6

thanks a bunch. added to my watch list!!!That is a cheaper option... too bad I just bought some alpha pads. They look like the ear would fit in better though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back