Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Dec 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #76 of 3,295
I added filler info also but you ninja'd me :) on posting so look up again. Another awesome pad but hard to get aside as spares, is the Creative Soundblaster World of Warcraft Pads - circular ones super soft also. Not seen any around lately though sadly.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #77 of 3,295
Thanks for tips NIck. :)

@grizzly

My Studio V units are known to be slightly cool , for example when I plug my $650 Rhapsodio hybrid into the 3rd Anv Studio they sound (and I mean) incredibly clear, the clarity is almost ear melting, the entire presentation overly lean and transparent, airy, yet I plug the Yamaha into the same source and get lemons. They sound dark, boggy and rather mid bass bloated , enough for me to say What is this?? Then, back to my little C3/BH amp and off they go, sounding clean and detailed. It's rather strange and something I do not wish for.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #78 of 3,295
I should reread this thread fully again but do you find these open up past a certain volume or power point? Off to see the specs again.
Possible the sources do not have enough damping factor powerwise which is making them sloppier??

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #79 of 3,295
I should reread this thread fully again but do you find these open up past a certain volume or power point? Off to see the specs again.
Possible the sources do not have enough damping factor powerwise which is making them sloppier??

Yes, that's correct you bring up a good point because if I raise the volume on the studio to what I call unacceptable levels they begin pulling together , but normal listening level is just not on, or at most very average. They certainly start emitting more clarity when pushing the volume.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #80 of 3,295
Thanks for tips NIck.
smily_headphones1.gif

@grizzly

My Studio V units are known to be slightly cool , for example when I plug my $650 Rhapsodio hybrid into the 3rd Anv Studio they sound (and I mean) incredibly clear, the clarity is almost ear melting, the entire presentation overly lean and transparent, airy, yet I plug the Yamaha into the same source and get lemons. They sound dark, boggy and rather mid bass bloated , enough for me to say What is this?? Then, back to my little C3/BH amp and off they go, sounding clean and detailed. It's rather strange and something I do not wish for.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

I wonder how it compares to the fiio e12. I wouldn't mind a bright amp.

so you mean this amp?

they sound decent from my amp and at first were too edgy. 

@nick nI have been playing them kinda loud and have neglected to really check at lower listening levels. I need to check that out. They do seem better louder and the akg's don't have the same impression. 
Also I looked up that angel hair stuff. It looks like the only place would charge me 150 dollars to ship here But I will keep researching it. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #81 of 3,295
Yes, that's the amp I'm using. I'll also have JDS C5 coming in a week or so for demo and Leckertons newest amp (forget the model number). Anyway it's way past my bedtime, two nights in a row I've been listening to my gear until sunrise. Must. Leave. Head-fi.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #82 of 3,295
Solen has Angel Hair. If you hold up I will get some soon and send you guys some, freebies. $40 last time I got the sample bag ( shipped).
If you do an all nighter H20 then you can reset your patterns properly ( good excuse huh )

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #85 of 3,295
  after researching that amp... it seems that is because it is a bright amp. maybe bright and powerful amps work well with the yamaha especially since you come from bright iem's

Yes it does lean cool, not overly bright, I'd like something even brighter to be honest. :p 

Be sure to read the members impressions located below my review, I've created a summary of the entire thread for researching and comparison. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #87 of 3,295
  its funny I used to hate the word bright for music equipment... now I like it. 

Cool.

See exhibit A:

If you like MT220 then maybe you should consider Yamaha HPH-200, their open back portable. I found it rather impressive.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #88 of 3,295

not as loud. my wife says everything sounds better with the alpha pads bass and all and asked me if i turned it up when i put the stock pads back on. 
soundstage:deeper
bass: stronger or tighter
vocals/instruments: less forward, cleaner
transparency:? 

overall they seem cleaner and the instrument separation seems better because of the depth.. But it seems less shouty or forward but the attack is still awesome.... man pads can make a difference... I am a believer. I like the improvements but miss the forwardness of the instruments. I like the bass and depth now plus they have cleaned up some. 

I still haven't taken out the foam I put in. It already has some in there but I put some in different places. I really like these with the alpha pads on them. at this point I am no longer worried about clarity.  I just have them plugged into my iMac and I am really enjoying it right now. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #89 of 3,295
Be interesting to eventually see how the Yamaha 120  ( same model line ) stacks up  in comparison at the lower price point.

Thanks for the Alpha Pad pics, those auction ones don't seem as high profile in the pictures ( you can always email the guy for measurements he is good at answering back ) Might be the middle ground for you.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #90 of 3,295
  Be interesting to eventually see how the Yamaha 120  ( same model line ) stacks up  in comparison at the lower price point.

Thanks for the Alpha Pad pics, those auction ones don't seem as high profile in the pictures ( you can always email the guy for measurements he is good at answering back ) Might be the middle ground for you.

its probably the angle of the pic.

now check it again I added a pic to show them next to the stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back