Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Dec 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #34 of 3,295
I've been doing some searching but cannot seem to find the impedance value of these MT220's

Can someone please tell me how many ohms they're?

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #37 of 3,295
Mine arrived today, and I'm rather impressed out of the box. A little bit mid-bass happy to these ears (not to much) but they're certainly growing on me quickly, very happy with the purchase so far. I'll report back in after a few days after we've gotten to know each other, but no regrets so far! 

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #39 of 3,295
I honestly haven't been able to take these MT220 off my head since they arrived yesterday, I practically listened to them a large majority of yesterday right into the early morning, they're that good. There was a little bit of an adjustment period coming from my rather bright/analytical IEMs, they sounded a touch veiled at first but once adjusted boy do they shine. I wasn't overly impressed with them straight from my sources alone however once I plugged them into my little C&C BH amp... wow, what a difference, they become more refined, the bass tightened up and out came the detail. The best thing is during the amount of hours I've clocked up there's no fatigue what so ever, my ears do not feel any pain.  I'm also getting some pretty deep sub-bass extension using the little amp, they sound great with rock, metal, EDM, a little mid bassy with some acoustic tracks still but I am so impressed I'm going to practically force my brother to buy himself a pair. I would take these over the recent Beyer DT1350 I owned briefly in a spilt second. All buying the MT220 has done is made me look straight into upgrading my amp. 
tongue.gif

I tried them with Studio V and wasn't impressed also my Xuelin IHIFI-760 but they didn't seem to shine, soon as I amped them though damn...
I'm using the little C3/BH rig and would love to hear them from a proper desk top amp. Lots of potential here.

What are you using for a source grizzlybeast?

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #42 of 3,295
  I just have them into a focusrite forte. I should try a better amp section...but the focusrite dac is pretty clean.

I have the Leckerton amp coming for audition soon, I'll be sure to report in with some thoughts.
It might be worth looking at the little C&C amp because the synergy is there. I tried Tralucent T1 and the detail was there, however soundstage suffered.

I think they're OK, but nothing special.

Good build quality, comfortable, good sound quality,
worth the asking price.

They somehow seem like a slightly more refined version
of the ATH M50.

I don't personally remember my ATH-M50 sounding this good.
biggrin.gif

What were you using to drive the HPH-MT220? They sounded rather mediocre from my Studio V to be honest which was disapointing.
I think they certianly need an amp to shine from my expereince so far depsite the low impedance rating.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #43 of 3,295
Are they really THAT good??

Btw, Peter Tyson have the MT120 available for sale at the moment:
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/yamaha_hph-mt120.shtml

Cheapest I could find the MT220 is £119 which is quite a lot by my standards for a headphone, considering few years ago I bought Ultrasone DJ1 for £55 even though they were selling for £130 at that time. Also, since I've just ordered a pair of the new Carbon Nanotube JVC HA-S680 I think I'll hold off on the temptation of buying the Yams for now.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #44 of 3,295
  I think they're OK, but nothing special.

Good build quality, comfortable, good sound quality,
worth the asking price.

They somehow seem like a slightly more refined version
of the ATH M50.

I hated the M50s and actually preferred my $30 Panasonics over them. My Yammies wipe the floor with the Pannies so... there's that.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't find any similarities to the M50s at all only than the solid construction. M50s sound "warm" in comparison. Also, mids? Forget about it on the M50s. I found them recessed and lacking detail/clarity and definition. Not so with the Yammies. But yeah, different ears and stuff :p

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #45 of 3,295
Are they really THAT good??

Btw, Peter Tyson have the MT120 available for sale at the moment:
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/yamaha_hph-mt120.shtml

Cheapest I could find the MT220 is £119 which is quite a lot by my standards for a headphone, considering few years ago I bought Ultrasone DJ1 for £55 even though they were selling for £130 at that time. Also, since I've just ordered a pair of the new Carbon Nanotube JVC HA-S680 I think I'll hold off on the temptation of buying the Yams for now.

I found my pair for $120 AUD (eBay auction) so to me theyre great. Rather than jump straight in maybe keep your eye on them for a sale. However I do find they execute EDM very well when using the amp but I'm not going say there probably isn't better options out there. Then on the other side of the coin you could spend once and get the job done for your mixing. Try and demo them somewhere if you can. I took the chance because of my previous experience with EPH-100 and HPH-200 so I had faith in the brand. It paid off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back