Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Sep 8, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,906 of 3,295

It could very well be a good thing. It is situation dependent .
 Get used to them in stock form for a bit then see if you have any other pads you can pressure fit on top of the stock ones and see for yourself. this will be a cheaper attempt to see if it is for you.

As an example I have a set of rare Soviet orthodynamics  that stock are rather in need of help, but adding a set of Creative pads on top of the thin stock ones completely transforms them to the point I don't feel the need to deal with a mod at all anymore.

Try a cheap pad stack first in case you don't like the approach. It won't be identical due to inner wall shape of the pad stack but it will approximate the effect. You'll then know one way or the other
ph34r.gif

Hmm....  I don't have any extra pads >(.

It seems the Alpha pads will work with the Pioneers also, so I'm going to get them.  It seems they are super comfy, so I am going to try them out :).

Hopefully I can sell them if I dislike them, but it seems I probably wont disliek them :).

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,907 of 3,295

Hmm....  I don't have any extra pads >(.

It seems the Alpha pads will work with the Pioneers also, so I'm going to get them.  It seems they are super comfy, so I am going to try them out :).

Hopefully I can sell them if I dislike them, but it seems I probably wont disliek them :).

Just buy some disposable nappies (daipers), cut them roughy into the ear pad shape and you're done. they'll absorb any sweat quite readily too.

Affix with electrical tape and copious amounts of messy glue.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,908 of 3,295
The break-in comment is more of an inside joke with waynesworld. ( aside from experience with Ultrasones )
Sure will pipe down as of 3..2..1.. now.
bigsmile_face.gif

The pads will be a fun experience no matter how you look at it. Only you will be able to say.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,909 of 3,295
awesomemost sound coming out of my yammie.....

if u dun have one yet, BUY ONE...

if u have one already, MOD it.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,911 of 3,295

Lucky it isn't your job then like everyone in the industry who listens hours on end (12 hours at a time) to STUDIO MONITORS (which you clearly are unfamliar with - perhaps you heard Rokkit 5's once - a laughable monitor).

Don't talk about things you have no experience of. You just look stupid.

Confrontational!

How would any studio work get done if 'studio monitors' were fatiguing?

Sorry, but I call dimwit ******** idiocy.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about, says me sitting here in a studio after 7 hours of the glorious Yamaha HS8 monitors, and tiny Wharfedale Diamonds as bad-sound checks (a respected hifi speaker but studio-wise it is terrible - a V-Moda). Not once reached for headphones. All I've really achieved in this time is a **** of dirty good mega distorted bass sound and a good drum sound. I did not do that with fatiguing monitors. I COULD do that fairly accurately on the MT220. Certainly not DT770 as is commonly used.

I work all day on studio monitors. The entire point is that they are NOT fatiguing.

Incidentally, what does "formats on studios" mean? I've never heard that in 30 years in studios... Please enlighten me.

Also headphones are not monitors. Monitors are the big speakers that shift lots of air. Headphones are called headphones, or 'cans' if you are a "wanna be cool" idiot.

I'd just shut up now if I was you, pretending to know things.

No offence but you sound very silly and vacuous to me.

ON THREAD... I'd happily have done today's work on the MT220. Some tweaks would be inevitable but on the whole they'd be as close as I could reasonably expect. In perspective, I would not trust any other headphone.

LOL @ you.

Clearly I was talking about studio monitor headphones you goof.

If you read a few posts prior to this one, I actually elaborate quite a bit my disdain on using studio monitor headphones as a proper listening instrument for music enjoyment.

Yeah the HS8 monitors are awesome, no denying that.

Whether or not you agree something like the 7506 aren't true "monitor" cans, isn't the point. I'm referring to the range of headphones that are marketed for sound monitoring in the studio. On the whole, they tend to be much more brighter and harsher than regular closed back cans.

That's why I would urge people not to purchase headphones that are geared towards studio monitoring.

The 7506s are still used in an array of professional environments, although I happen to think it has zip to do with how they sound but their reputation in the industry.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,912 of 3,295

Did you sorb it?

sorbwithcorkring in inner cup...
bluetac funnelling underside of driverplate...
bluetac suedosorbo flange above driverplate...
HM5angledvelor...
AUdirvana software thru McAir..
Cabledyne USBcable..
Audiogd NFB10.32 dacamp...
Cabledyne PCord.

if u can think of another mod, i will add it in... pile it up..:p

Riding the BATsMobile now...smelling the octane...what a rush into the nightsky.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,913 of 3,295
  Are you being sarcastic? Or is the HD800 not what it's cracked up to be?

In stock form on solid-state amps (I've heard it on the MOON Neo 430HA and Sennheiser HDVD 800, which sounded about the same as far as I could tell), it sounds pretty good...until there are any type of higher frequencies in the music, in which case it sounds artificial and extremely bright and harsh. I always hear about people modifying it and using it with warm tube amps. I'd imagine that (and EQ) could make it sound excellent with all music, but I really couldn't stand it with non-acoustic music most of the time. I think that's why people who use it only with acoustic music don't hear the flaws people constantly talk about.

I'm referring to the range of headphones that are marketed for sound monitoring in the studio. On the whole, they tend to be much more brighter and harsher than regular closed back cans.

That's why I would urge people not to purchase headphones that are geared towards studio monitoring.

Except the MT220.
tongue.gif
(And perhaps the not-bright-at-all Focal Spirit Professional and a few others.)

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,914 of 3,295

Whether or not you agree something like the 7506 aren't true "monitor" cans, isn't the point. I'm referring to the range of headphones that are marketed for sound monitoring in the studio. On the whole, they tend to be much more brighter and harsher than regular closed back cans.

The 7506s are still used in an array of professional environments, although I happen to think it has zip to do with how they sound but their reputation in the industry.

The Marshall Monitors have the the treble rolled off-they're my favorite all around studio headphones.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,915 of 3,295

In stock form on solid-state amps (I've heard it on the MOON Neo 430HA and Sennheiser HDVD 800, which sounded about the same as far as I could tell), it sounds pretty good...until there are any type of higher frequencies in the music, in which case it sounds artificial and extremely bright and harsh. I always hear about people modifying it and using it with warm tube amps. I'd imagine that (and EQ) could make it sound excellent with all music, but I really couldn't stand it with non-acoustic music most of the time. I think that's why people who use it only with acoustic music don't hear the flaws people constantly talk about.

Except the MT220.
tongue.gif
(And perhaps the not-bright-at-all Focal Spirit Professional and a few others.)

Which is all the more strange with the MT220. How can it be this forward and not display any hint of sibilance or even brightness?

It is very neutral and natural sounding IMO. I don't think they are bright at all.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,916 of 3,295
  Which is all the more strange with the MT220. How can it be this forward and not display any hint of sibilance or even brightness?

It is very neutral and natural sounding IMO. I don't think they are bright at all.

Yeah, I've described the MT220's treble as cold and clangy, but in a very cool way. It only started to get a little bright (but with much better mids) when I moved my ears to the front of the pads, but those with larger ears don't even have room to do that.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,917 of 3,295

So at the end of the day is this MT220 the headphone to have, or is there many others that outperform it?

there are comments about the Pioneer HRM-7's being better in some respects.  I'm getting both and will let you know what i think.  Im no expert at all, but I'll try :p.

Looking at

Yamaha MT220s
Pioneer HRM-7

Earpad upgrade

and some different choices for amps/dacs.

Would like to have everything before I test, but I guess I could test to see the difference between non -amp/dac or with them.

EDIT:  I actually found this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/738192/yamaha-hph-mt220-earpad-replacement that mentioned about the angled drivers, and the"Alpha Dog Pads" also being angled, with people commenting on it...

They recommend the other Dogs, but there is also a recommendation on the HRM5 pads...

Has anyone used these?

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #1,918 of 3,295

I hear the FiiO X5 2nd gen is a pretty good performer, and the specs at FiiO's website certainly corroborate that. Maybe the FiiO X5 2nd gen and a Yamaha MT220 would be nirvana, or would a combination of an HD600 and iBasso DX90 do better again?

Haven't heard about that one...

I'm new to all of this, so I have no clue about any of these.  I've really only heard a few mentions of the fiiO company, Schiit, and then I recentlyas told I should get an Aune T1 Mk2

soo many chocie s>(

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #1,919 of 3,295
  So at the end of the day is this MT220 the headphone to have, or is there many others that outperform it?

At its price, it's the best I've heard.

I hear the FiiO X5 2nd gen is a pretty good performer, and the specs at FiiO's website certainly corroborate that. Maybe the FiiO X5 2nd gen and a Yamaha MT220 would be nirvana, or would a combination of an HD600 and iBasso DX90 do better again?

If you want the best value and sound quality, I recommend desktop gear instead of portable DAPs.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #1,920 of 3,295
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

these are great desktop stuff...check one out within your budget. 

=========

the "sorbo" mod...
the bluetacs are not staying in place...so being replaced with corkchops w stickyback :p
( leftovers from another era)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back