Yamaha EPH-100
Aug 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #3,377 of 4,690
I've been nursing a pair of Westone 2 for a while now.  At the end, it was like the bass was sucked out of those phones.  I've been reading reviews and wavering back and forth on what I would buy to replace my Westone's.  The multi-IEM review by ljokerl was very helpful in down selecting the IEM's I would focus on.

After trying a number of IEM's on my short list and not hearing the sound I was after, I took the plunge and bought a pair of Yamaha EPH-100SL without an audition.  On my return from a business trip, my new phones were waiting for me.  I did a brief audition and set them on burn in.

My first impression (brand new) was the sound was muddy and overly thick.  Did I make a mistake straying from BA headphones?  48 hours of burn in later, and preparing for my next trip, I gave them another try.  Wow, they went from muddy and thick to well defined and the full measure bass was fast and articulate.  Mids were a delight, anchored but not overwhelmed by the bass.  Highs, while slightly rolled off were a pleasure to listen to.  And all of that was plugged directly into my iPad.  The best was yet to come.  I gave them a try with my Pico amp with the iPad as the source and it took it to the next level.  With the Pico, the EPH-100SL was nearly as good as my non-portable, dedicated headphone system.

I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to replace my Westone's, but at least I can be soothed with a now great portable system.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3,378 of 4,690
Just threw mine out. These things were F'in garbage. Right ear kept cutting out, moisture/no moisture, I'd have to bang the crap out of it to get the driver to kick back in.... eventually crapped out completely. Couldn't send them in for warranty because it was all banged up from me trying to get the stupid thing to work again. BIG waste of money.

Worst part is I'm broke and can't replace them.. so now I have to listen to the awful music they play in my gym.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #3,380 of 4,690
Quote:
Well, it seems you have many other iems according to your signature, it's not as if you got no choice.

Actually I haven't updated my sig in quite a while... I only have the UM3X now. No way I'm gonna use those while working out! :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #3,381 of 4,690
Quote:
No way I'm gonna use those while working out! :)

So you expect the eph100 to resist better  from bad treatments than your UM3X ?
No way I'd use my eph-100 for work out, same
wink.gif
And by the way , there are other cheap headphone solution designed for this.
I have the senn pmx680 and a ksc75.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #3,382 of 4,690
Quote:
So you expect the eph100 to resist better  from bad treatments than your UM3X ?
No way I'd use my eph-100 for work out, same
wink.gif
And by the way , there are other cheap headphone solution designed for this.
I have the senn pmx680 and a ksc75.

I am looking for an alternative now that will hold up better to that kind of environment.

Honestly, I didn't expect it to be a problem using the Yamahas while working out. I've used other in-ears without any problems in the past. The Westones on the other hand cost me 3x the price, so yeah I certainly wouldn't risk it.

I'm open to suggestions (actually started a thread in the recommendation sub-forum). Has to be in-ears though... I need something to block out all external noise, and I prefer the bass response as well.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #3,384 of 4,690
Once my Yamaha's are burned in - I'll offer my opinions but I have already heard burned in Yamaha's at a friend's house and I really enjoyed the highs - yes, they are rolled off - but to my ears, not so noticeably...

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #3,386 of 4,690
Just recieved these and have a question, what is the cable synch for on the top part of the cable? Normally it is a slider I know but there is something else hanging on it.

I think the jack slides in there for storage?

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #3,390 of 4,690

Get a good seal.  I got my second pair (yes, I love 'em that much!) just 2 weeks ago.  Out of the box, even with less than an hour of usage, there was nary a hint of sibilance.  The trick is to get a good seal.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back