Yamaha EPH-100
Sep 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #2,851 of 4,690
The people with problems with the right side -

Can you slowly insert the right side with no music playing and see if there's a small sound like something moves inside the unit? I just received my replacement pair and I noticed this driver flex type sound in only the right side. I've also sent them back as I'm not gonna take a chance on them like that.

I'm wondering if it's loose and just gets more loose over time from the pressure of inserting them and taking them out? You have to listen carefully to hear it. But the left side wouldn't do it at all for me. Only the right side.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #2,852 of 4,690
I've noticed mine die a few times right when I pull it out, I suspected it to be caused by the pressure from the suction. 

Couldn't verify it though and seemed like the moisture condensation was a better culprit. 

But it could also explain the driver from being loose, because whenever the sound died, I'd knock the earpiece against my palm several times and it would come back - although it could also be knocking the moisture on the insides off the grills. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #2,853 of 4,690
It really doesn't matter how many people are affected. It's just like a rate side effect of a drug that may cause you to go blind. It may only happen to .3% of the population, but it's VERY significant to those who lose their sight.
What I'm seeing is one side being very vocal with their issues, while the other side downplays these said issues as insignificant.

Oh I think this is completely over dramatising the situation.... Comparing a faulty earphone to loss of eyesight is way too much.

Look, every product in the market will have a proportion of non-perfect goods. And in today's world, manufacturers must warrant their goods to be of merchantable quality and repair or replace them subject to local laws and in some cases markets which offer goods at lower prices but with fewer consumer protections.

Every purchaser who buys locally and in those countries with consumer protections can have their faulty units repaired.

Respectfully, itchy who has most to say about these phones purchased from a non-local source to save money and has paid the price.

All this speculation about percentage of sales that are faulty is just that speculation. It is completely likely that those without problems could not care less about posting if they have no issues and outside this thread I have seen no comment about this issue. Despite this, many including myself and I have already posted that I have very moist ears, have never had any sound loss from them and this includes using them in Australia's high humidity and also in New York, Quebec and Montreal in a variety of temperatures. I am inclined to presume that anyone who experiences multiple sound loss units is either dead unlucky or there is some environmental reason as yet unexplained. In any case, the repeated comments by a few is in my opinion amplifying negative reporting unnecessarily.

To those considering purchase, the EPH-100 is a fine, good value dynamic earphone. I use them as a handy earphone when I would rather not muck around with my over ear units or in the mood for some elevated bass levels. The likelihood of getting a dud is probably no greater than most other earphones.

Let's keep this debate in proportion.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2,854 of 4,690
Quote:

You guys are focusing on the blindness part far too much. I'm referring to the experiences of those affected by a problem, regardless of how small a minority they are.

I'M NOT COMPARING A DEAD EARPHONE TO BLINDNESS

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #2,855 of 4,690
Your right! With a dud earphone I get to go to the store of purchase and take up the issue...

I was born with poor eyesight and have worn spectacles for 55 years to correct it. And now at 60, I have some hearing loss and wear a hearing aid which I can tell you makes selection of earphones critical as they have to compensate for my deficient high frequency loss.

Pity God doesn't offer a replacement for my eyes and ears like Yamaha do for the EPH-100.

Crikey, let's get this thread locked and start again!

:cool:

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #2,856 of 4,690
AGREED !!!
Quote:
Your right! With a dud earphone I get to go to the store of purchase and take up the issue...
I was born with poor eyesight and have worn spectacles for 55 years to correct it. And now at 60, I have some hearing loss and wear a hearing aid which I can tell you makes selection of earphones critical as they have to compensate for my deficient high frequency loss.
Pity God doesn't offer a replacement for my eyes and ears like Yamaha do for the EPH-100.
Crikey, let's get this thread locked and start again!
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #2,857 of 4,690
Before this gets too out of hand.

Yes, these are a good pair of earphones for their price, and if you have never gotten a problem with them - grats, hope you never have to experience the trouble I've been through. Don't change your mind if you're set on buying them, it's likely that it never happens to you, although just be AWARE of what to expect when it happens - Don't bother RMAing them. 

Furthermore, I've tested them and documented my issues almost every time it's happened with the 4 different pairs, so it's safe to say I have far more experience and knowledge of the issue at hand than anyone here trying to defend them. I have tested different sources and the issue persists, regardless of environmental factors - using at home/out etc etc. 

Would I have changed to the IE80s after hearing them over the EPH100s(assuming that I never had a problem with them)? Yes I would.  

Look, there are better alternatives out there if you are willing to spend a little more, just don't bother to RMA them if yours stuff up - it's caused by the user, if it's going to happen to you once, it WILL happen to you again with another pair. 

The different pairs I have gotten from a local shop here have already been returned, still waiting on the pair from HongKong... which the cust service rep has yet to reply to my last email asking to exchange them for a different CHEAPER pair.

****Also could anyone give me some tips on how to handle this issue if he insists on sending the same broken pair back to me? Should I just call up my bank and have the payment backcharged? 

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #2,858 of 4,690
@ich1ban
have you tried to get your eph-100 from different sellers ?
Perhaps only some of them have a flawed stock.

Anyway , 0 problem with them. I got at begin , slight moisture depositing inside.
But I didn't notice that later.  Perhaps it's because the grill are less shiny (slight earwax, too lazy to remove).
Or perhaps even slight dirt helps
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2,859 of 4,690
yes, has happened to pairs I've gotten from both overseas and local. 

Think about it like this, you bought a computer mouse, loved it, however it started playing up where the m1 button stops working because of your specific grip when using the mouse, pressing it at the top of the shell and not at the tip where it's supposed to be pressed - breaking the microswitch somehow underneath it. Although imagine that you cannot ever change your hand grip when using mice, due to a disability issue or whatever you can imagine. 

You've never had this problem with any other mice in the past, but keeps happening to this exact mouse every new unit you get. Would you call it a design defect? Yes - because they didn't cater for a minority of users that use a finger-tip grip, clicking from the top and not the common palm grip. It's user caused and will continue to happen no matter how many new units of the identical model you keep getting. 

Solution? Move on and use a different mouse, warn others of the possibility of it happening to them. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2,860 of 4,690
Quote:
Solution? Move on and use a different mouse, warn others of the possibility of it happening to them. 

I don't think any headphone is flawless. Some people enjoy the eph-100 and are a bit annoyed you discourage other potential buyers,
for issues they never experimented.
But I  think this happen all the time at head-fi.
I've seen for instance people complaining of cracks with the hd598  (also that they are boring), it's just inundated in an ocean of raving reviews.
Just let other user report if they have similar problem with eph-100, to ensure it isn't blown out of proportion.
EDIT: you could also open a dedicated thread for the issue.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,861 of 4,690
Ich1ban:

If the problem with your EPH-100 has to do with moisture, blowing air on them at room temperature for a few minutes after each time that you use them, could fix it.  A household fan would do it.  I know of someone who has had microphones go bad from condensation, forming from quickly moving (30 minute drive) from a cool area (mountain) to a hot area (plain).

I remember that you posted that you have left them working overnight (without wearing them), and the sound problem has not shown up.  Have you tried doing that again to see if they work well like that?

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,862 of 4,690
Quote:
yes, has happened to pairs I've gotten from both overseas and local. 

Think about it like this, you bought a computer mouse, loved it, however it started playing up where the m1 button stops working because of your specific grip when using the mouse, pressing it at the top of the shell and not at the tip where it's supposed to be pressed - breaking the microswitch somehow underneath it. Although imagine that you cannot ever change your hand grip when using mice, due to a disability issue or whatever you can imagine. 

You've never had this problem with any other mice in the past, but keeps happening to this exact mouse every new unit you get. Would you call it a design defect? Yes - because they didn't cater for a minority of users that use a finger-tip grip, clicking from the top and not the common palm grip. It's user caused and will continue to happen no matter how many new units of the identical model you keep getting. 

well said dwight

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #2,863 of 4,690
Quote:
I don't think any headphone is flawless. Some people enjoy the eph-100 and are a bit annoyed you discourage other potential buyers,
for issues they never experimented.
But I  think this happen all the time at head-fi.
I've seen for instance people complaining of cracks with the hd598  (also that they are boring), it's just inundated in an ocean of raving reviews.
Just let other user report if they have similar problem with eph-100, to ensure it isn't blown out of proportion.
EDIT: you could also open a dedicated thread for the issue.

I completely agree. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2,864 of 4,690
Lol nah can't be bothered, don't use them anymore and don't plan on getting the RMA'ed pair from hongkong back. 

Back to sennheiser now, should've stuck to the same brand I've been using for the past 10 years. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #2,865 of 4,690
The people with problems with the right side -
Can you slowly insert the right side with no music playing and see if there's a small sound like something moves inside the unit? I just received my replacement pair and I noticed this driver flex type sound in only the right side. I've also sent them back as I'm not gonna take a chance on them like that.
I'm wondering if it's loose and just gets more loose over time from the pressure of inserting them and taking them out? You have to listen carefully to hear it. But the left side wouldn't do it at all for me. Only the right side.

No, but my pair cut out again on me this morning. I'd only been using them 15 minutes. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back