Yamaha EPH-100
Jun 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,936 of 4,690
Hi everyone

I'm considering buying the Yamahas, but I have some doubts. It seems there are a couple of issues related to the cable: it causes microphonics and it's stiff when worn over the ears.

I would use the IEMs for movies, music, inside and outside home, and when walking the microphonics could be an issue. I also would like to wear them over the ears (note that I wear glasses).

Thanks for the help

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,937 of 4,690
Quote:
Hi everyone

I'm considering buying the Yamahas, but I have some doubts. It seems there are a couple of issues related to the cable: it causes microphonics and it's stiff when worn over the ears.

I would use the IEMs for movies, music, inside and outside home, and when walking the microphonics could be an issue. I also would like to wear them over the ears (note that I wear glasses).

Thanks for the help

If you think it won't be suitable for walking (which I think it doesn't) because of the microphonics and cable memory, then find something else, simple.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #1,938 of 4,690
Hi everyone

Thanks for the help

The cables are no more microphonic than the cables of most other IEMs. This can be greatly reduced or eliminated by using the sliding device on the cable to take out the excess slack from the earpiece to the chin area.

I often wear them over the ear with glasses and find memory to be not an issue at all. They are very comfortable whether worn over ear or pendant style.

Hope this helps ....

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #1,939 of 4,690

Quote:
Hi everyone

Thanks for the help

it's not stiff and also once fixed they stay in place. Over the ears microphonics is very low...

If you think it won't be suitable for walking (which I think it doesn't) because of the microphonics and cable memory, then find something else, simple.

I often use them while walking and i'm satisfied. I've also used them doing this 
very_evil_smiley.gif
(it's a very boring job):

and i was perfectly isolated from that noisy sound and i could enjoy my music without any problems 
cool.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #1,940 of 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgiocis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I often use them while walking and i'm satisfied. I've also used them doing this 
very_evil_smiley.gif
(it's a very boring job):

and i was perfectly isolated from that noisy sound and i could enjoy my music without any problems 
cool.gif

I never said anything about isolation 
wink.gif

Isolation is indeed very good for a vented dynamic driver, the dual-flanged tips really helped.

What I can't stand is the microphonics, and the bouncy memory cable, which makes my cable flail everywhere when I'm walking

The SQ is great though, very smooth non-fatigue sound...

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #1,943 of 4,690
Quote:

I never said anything about isolation 
wink.gif

Isolation is indeed very good for a vented dynamic driver, the dual-flanged tips really helped.

What I can't stand is the microphonics, and the bouncy memory cable, which makes my cable flail everywhere when I'm walking

The SQ is great though, very smooth non-fatigue sound...

i know the microphonics is not very good but seriously if u walk wearing them over the ears with a low/medium volume you can't seriously notice it
wink.gif
 walking in the streets isolation is more important but of course this is my personal opinion!

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,944 of 4,690
Quote:
What the... 130 pages?

Have you guys been alerted of the new JVC's yet? =p

Yup and though im curious, i'll probably stick with the yamahas.

They give me the exact signature that i get on with, airy and open yet laid back.

To my ears they are the closest iem's that i've used, that don't really compromise on anything.

Just lying here listening to van buurens state of trance, quietly running it's rather peaceful the house is usually a riot.

Why don't you try them, i have and like jvc's but i reckon you'll enjoy these.

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,947 of 4,690
i have a question too by the way...'till now i've paired my eph with my nokia 5800 that is starting to have battery issues, cover is in really bad condition too so i'm thinking of replacing it and since i use it mostly as an mp3 player i'm seriously considering buying a cheap phone and let max 150€ for an actual player.
My question are: is this a good idea? what are your advice? (clip+) + fiio e11? fiio does actually improve sound quality? some other combos/great source are available for the price? someone told me about colorfly ck4 but i don't know if it's whorth it because i don't know [size=x-small]how keen are my ears and my perception of detail developed because this iem are my first big purchase; anyway i'm really [/size]enjoying them
smile_phones.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,948 of 4,690
Quote:
i have a question too by the way...'till now i've paired my eph with my nokia 5800 that is starting to have battery issues, cover is in really bad condition too so i'm thinking of replacing it and since i use it mostly as an mp3 player i'm seriously considering buying a cheap phone and let max 150€ for an actual player.
My question are: is this a good idea? what are your advice? (clip+) + fiio e11? fiio does actually improve sound quality? some other combos/great source are available for the price? someone told me about colorfly ck4 but i don't know if it's whorth it because i don't know [size=x-small]how keen are my ears and my perception of detail developed because this iem are my first big purchase; anyway i'm really [/size]enjoying them
smile_phones.gif

Most IEM's are efficient enough to be driven by Clip+/Zip alone, but the addition of an Amp, especially a pretty powerful one like the E11 will, of course, improve the SQ, but it is not mandatory, and the difference in SQ is minute at best, simply because the EPH100 is efficient.

I personally prefer portable amps be paired with something with a LO (ie. iPods), as the improvement is more noticeable.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,949 of 4,690
With a DAP like the clip+ that doesn't have a line out, there really won't be a change in SQ in the way you might think. The only reason you would need an amp is if you have headphones that need more juice to be driven. Any perceived difference in sound quality otherwise may be due to the increase in volume.

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,950 of 4,690
Quote:
I have a pair of Meelec Long single flange for IE7. When i put these on the EPH100, the driver almost  protruded above the tip end.
I'm hoping this will not be the case with the regular single flange tips.

I was interested in those M11+ extra-long single flange tips, but it seems that the driver would stick out.

Besides the stock tips, the only other tips I have that fit are the Meelec M9 double-flange tips. The other tips from the M9 are too short, so the driver sticks out.

Would these fit on the EPH-100, or would they stick out? They look similar to small double flange tips from the the Meelec M11+.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150741688260

Those eBay tips look simlar to the Meelec M11+ tips here:
http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11-bk-mee.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back