Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #976 of 4,690
Shango by Juno Reactor is a great trance/Edm album for the EPH100s. They don't require the lush and liquid mids that Infected does, and the bass is just right here. Soundstaging really shines, great tonality on the hand drums. Hule Lam is the best track for these I have heard yet.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #977 of 4,690
These things are melting the wax in my ears(darn).  I've finally found the right size of tips(stock) which works perfectly for me...but the process of getting has here has left my ears sore and during the process there have been times, when I didnt get the same quality I heard earlier due to lack of fit. Do you guys feel the quality of sound especially bass getting a lot more pronounced as you move your jaw sometimes or when the collar of your coat touches your earlobes? I have that funny experience only when I haven't managed to get the most optimum fit when there is some vaccum.When I get a real good fit, I manage to get a great seal.

And the sound is changing as we even speak....instrument seperation is getting better, bass is getting tighter and more impactful. The shrill is going away. Quality of treble is enhancing as well. I prefer these already over my fxt90 already as these are less fatiguing which doesnt mean that fxt90 are bad. It just means that JVCs are my morning phones and these are my evening and night phones when I am too drained to take that agressive(on your face) sound. I also feel that yamahas require increasing the sound level a tad bit more than JVC and hence slightly more difficult to drive. Amp makes a significant difference?

Ok...I want some serious advice! I had setout to get 3 IEMs, not too expensive, neither too cheap. I am absolutely pleased with my two choices(fxt90 and yamha). The third one on list was GR07. For those who own these 2, do you think....GR07's acquisition now becomes futile as between these two, I'm covering most of GR07's qualities and more! No one answered this yet....how the hell do head-fi'ers(guys) manage to spend so much of money without your gf/spouse killing you everyday over this. Man, I'm only two down and worried about the third acquisition, if ever.. with the home office continously nagging.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #979 of 4,690
I'm going for this very soon. I'll join this club.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #980 of 4,690
Shango by Juno Reactor is a great trance/Edm album for the EPH100s. They don't require the lush and liquid mids that Infected does, and the bass is just right here. Soundstaging really shines, great tonality on the hand drums. Hule Lam is the best track for these I have heard yet.

Also, I've been noticing that the Yams are very sensitive to insertion. It may be best to try using tips a size smaller than usual to play around with insertion angles. They aren't designed for deep insertion, but I find it very easy to place them deeper than most dynamics, not past the second bend like W3 or X10, but right up to it, and with the tips angled back slightly. I started off nonplussed by the sound when using large tips like I normally do, but it it sounded bass light, overall recessed, and the 3D effect sounded overly pronounced and fake, so I tried the S/XS tips and repositioned them deeper. This gives noticeably better bass and soundstage for me than other angles and depths.

Improvement is continuing with burn in, sub bass continues to he more pronounced than at first when A/Bing with my TT Isurus and MS400.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #981 of 4,690

Quote:
 Man, I'm only two down and worried about the third acquisition, if ever.. with the home office continously nagging.

Hahah.. you are too funny man.

Why not just be happy with what you have for now. Wait for a vertical jump rather than sidewards which you have possibly done already.
I'm on the look out for something that has everything that EPH100 has & more.

Or if you really have the itch to spend some money than buy a headphone AMP such as FIIO7 for £60 ?

Gilly87 I'm gonna check that Shango by Juno Reactor album out later tonight. I also found going one stock  TIP size down helps with comfort levels.

Miow MJ defo sounds the King Of Pop with EPH100's. Oh & get round to Prince soon... Even better IMO with EPH100s.

And on the subject of good music & artists...

R.I.P Whitney Houston

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #982 of 4,690

Quote:

"This type" of computer, seems to agree with me. Flatness is not a question of opinion...

Can I strongly disagree with what you stated? Am I allowed to point to whoever may read your comment, that your opinion is greatly different from most comments about the TF10? This is a forum, right? Am I mistaken?

FR graphs do talk sense, but end of the day, its not the computer that wears it day in day out - its you, and your ears.
Your ears probably won't hear some of those frequencies either - do bear that in mind too :wink:

And of course, you can strongly disagree, that's the whole point of these forums, getting opinions, comparing them etc - but at no point should u be saying: "something is wrong with your ears"

If you heard my TFTA 1XB's, you'll understand what I mean by bass for example.
I doubt you'll even be able to wear them for more than 30seconds.

This gives u an idea to what I'm listening to for example.

And FYI:
Yes I know there are HUGE threads about the TF10's and the IE8's, and they are two IEM's that I hate.
Included in that in fact are the se535's, which i don't hate, but I completely feel its "monster beats pricing" applied to them.
Was nice, but not £300 worth of IEM, no where near that.

Yet the se530/535's are loved by so many here.

Just because there is a huge thread, or a small thread, doesn't make the earphones or headphones, any good or any bad.
Hope that makes sense.

I know what you mean about your TF10's, I've heard it countless times - I now ignore it

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #983 of 4,690
Can also happen, that is not being applied a micro precision in this range (less than 1000$), may exist many variables in components selection.

So, two samples of the same model may not sound exactly the same way, may even one or other iem in a wide lot sound really bad.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #984 of 4,690
Can also happen, that is not being applied a micro precision in this range, may exist many variables in components selection.

So, two samples of the same model may not sound the same exactly way, may even one or other iem in a wid lot sound really bad.

Or people don't do burn in :p

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #985 of 4,690
I'm noticing more and more that, even though the EPH drivers aren't the fastest out there, they seem to handle really delicate sounds really well. Tiny effects like a marimba's "ping" or a small hand drum in the distance sound really clear. However they don't seem to handle the "big" sounds, like a bass drop or wide-open guitar solos very well; it may have to do with the soundstage being more noticeably deep than it is wide; it feels immersive but not enveloping.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #987 of 4,690

Quote:

Hahah.. you are too funny man.

Why not just be happy with what you have for now. Wait for a vertical jump rather than sidewards which you have possibly done already.
I'm on the look out for something that has everything that EPH100 has & more.

Or if you really have the itch to spend some money than buy a headphone AMP such as FIIO7 for £60 ?

Gilly87 I'm gonna check that Shango by Juno Reactor album out later tonight. I also found going one stock  TIP size down helps with comfort levels.

Miow MJ defo sounds the King Of Pop with EPH100's. Oh & get round to Prince soon... Even better IMO with EPH100s.

And on the subject of good music & artists...

R.I.P Whitney Houston

I agree mate! Mindset change required. I am going to stick to what I have for sometime to come before any vertical/horizontal/backward jumps. Ok...just want to share where I feel 80 quid went on these:

20£ on 'Bad Horsie' - Steve Vai:

Another 20£ on YYZ of Rush. Heavenly drums to say the least.

And 20 quid each on these two LTE classics. I think with time, these phones will handle some of the more complex passages in Paradigm Shift slightly better.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #989 of 4,690

Quote:
FR graphs do talk sense, but end of the day, its not the computer that wears it day in day out - its you, and your ears.
Your ears probably won't hear some of those frequencies either - do bear that in mind too :wink:

That's exactly why I said what I said: wrong fit, strange ears, bad pair of TF10, all possible explanations to why you hear it differently from almost everyone else and from its objective FR graph.

And of course, you can strongly disagree, that's the whole point of these forums, getting opinions, comparing them etc - but at no point should u be saying: "something is wrong with your ears"

I said more than that, maybe you didn't notice. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but what can you expect, apparently I'm one of "that type of person"...

If you heard my TFTA 1XB's, you'll understand what I mean by bass for example.
I doubt you'll even be able to wear them for more than 30seconds.

And how is that relevant to qualify the TF10 as flat and boring? Why should I "understand what you mean by bass" when you said nothing about bass? What you said was that the TF10 sounded boring and flat, that's what I commented on.
But perhaps you just lack other references, ones that are actually flat, maybe they're relatively flat, compared to the other IEMs you've heard.
That doesn't make them flat.

Just because there is a huge thread, or a small thread, doesn't make the earphones or headphones, any good or any bad.
Hope that makes sense.

Did I say that? No.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #990 of 4,690

Quote:
I'm waiting for you to be flamed by someone who says that burn-in doesn't exist....
popcorn.gif

I'm a true believer in mental and physical burn-in

Add ''Conditioning" as a burn-in to the list as well.The kinda feeling that makes you go...'Well, I've been an ass to lighten my wallet to satisfy my insatiable need for 'the best' out there. Now while I've got these, let me make me the most of 'em and live with the choice I made'. And gradually with time, you dont regret anymore. I am sure we've all experienced that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back