Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #826 of 4,690
     Quote:
"my knowledge of musical terminology is not very advanced yet. "

Dude! Neither is mine, that was a brilliant comparison, although I would give the Yams some time, to burn-in, so that possibly it might give you a better SQ.
Although for initial impressions, my perception from your post is that they are a little muddy or uncontrolled out of the box, but then get better? Am I right in saying this?

Either/or, they sound nice - although a question for you, are they heavy on the ears at all?
Due to their build, to me it seems as they would be very heavy earphones, especially when carrying around.

Thanks mate! You're right about the out of the box muddiness. They do get better. I know what you mean about the housings, when I first saw them I thought they'd weigh way more than they actually do. The aluminium is pretty light so they're not heavy on the ears. They're very comfortable in fact. 

Quote:

Your impressions are on first page, that everyone reads.

you can put there that links, which are very useful to better understand  EPH-100.

@fanmo nice impressions, glad to read this: "I've had no problems with the fit and thank the lord no vacuum seal (was dreading that one)"

Cheers pack21. Was really worried about the vacuum seal, didn't want to always be readjusting the IEMs in my ears. Glad to have no such issue, isolation is brilliant still. Hope yours get delivered fast man, would love to read more impressions.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #828 of 4,690
     Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Didn't you sell your j-phonic K2 five months ago?

Yes, but I got a loaner a few weeks ago from a fellow head-fi'er from the UK that bought me a pair of SM3 and these same j-phonics. I've just post them a few days ago. I wanted to give them a second chance. They're definitely not for me (I even dropped my rating from 8.8 to 8.5).

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #830 of 4,690
Could someone with the eph-100/gr-07 and the Monster Copper provide a comparison in terms of soundstage, separation, and isolation? Or anything you can think of?

I own the Coppers currently, and they are fairly bass heavy, I'm contemplating whether it's worth it to get the eph-100, or gr-07.

Cheers.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #831 of 4,690

Quote:
I don't have a problem with audio terminology per se and, in fact, it's sometimes a good thing if people want to learn some of these terms to better describe and, perhaps, understand what it is they hear, or what they may eventually begin to hear. The problem I see --and I see it very, very often on HF and not just at times on this thread-- is specifically the last part of the quote: "… in a manner that masquerades as knowledge". I personally tend to use the rather less polite phrase "to regurgitate audio jargon".

Unfortunately, new members --and there are soooo many of them-- are often wowed by such terms and easily influenced by members who use them; it's not easy for these 'newbies', even after a few weeks on this site, to separate the wheat from the chaff. Yes, even quite a few so-called 'Headphoneus Supremus' are quite guilty of this -- after all, it 'only' takes 1,500 posts to become a Headphoneus Supremus, no matter whether one has a clue about audio or not. Some people like to post A LOT and can easily reach 1,500 posts in weeks/months.

There are several reasons for all this, but this is not the time or place to discuss it.

I think I know what this means now. I for one won't fall into the "trap".
wink_face.gif

Congratulations to those who really enjoy the EPH100.
normal_smile%20.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #832 of 4,690

Quote:
     Quote:

Thanks mate! You're right about the out of the box muddiness. They do get better. I know what you mean about the housings, when I first saw them I thought they'd weigh way more than they actually do. The aluminium is pretty light so they're not heavy on the ears. They're very comfortable in fact. 

Oh how intriguing!
PS.
We need more members like you around :)

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #833 of 4,690

Quote:
.. I was listening to the wrong kind of music, with lots of fast drums. As I started listening to other genres, these started to reveal themselves more and more as the gem I was hoping they'd be.

Soundstage - GR07 feel wider. Yams do have a more 3D presentation, for the little they give to the Vsonics in width, they make up for in depth. The separation and positioning of instruments also adds to that 3D effect. Don't expect it to wow you like a surround sound system, it's a more subtle effect but a darn nice one.

To really appreciate the specific sound stage strength of the EPH100's you need to give trance a go if you haven't already.
This genre of music tends to be recorded with plenty of separation effects & depth which make the 3D like sound most appreciable.
Let me know if you need pointers to tracks.

Nice write up mate. Will be most interesting to see if you find burn-in changes the sound signature as we have some unbelievers who laugh at this idea.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #835 of 4,690

Quote:
To really appreciate the specific sound stage strength of the EPH100's you need to give trance a go if you haven't already.
This genre of music tends to be recorded with plenty of separation effects & depth which make the 3D like sound most appreciable.
Let me know if you need pointers to tracks.

Nice write up mate. Will be most interesting to see if you find burn-in changes the sound signature as we have some unbelievers who laugh at this idea.

Is not my music, I'm a 80's .... but I love this kind of music in club on Saturdays 4 AM when i have a beer in hand and my freaks buddies beside me.
floatsmile.png

Can you point me some good Trance albums to test with EPH.

Thx.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #836 of 4,690

Quote:
Is not my music, I'm a 80's .... but I love this kind of music in club on Saturdays 4 AM when i have a beer in hand and my freaks buddies beside.
floatsmile.png

Can you give me some good albums to test with EPH.

Thx.

Here you go pack: http://www.trance.fm/play/tc192.pls

That should do it for you. It's an internet radio for trance

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #837 of 4,690

Quote:
haha :p

I got attracted to the Yamas due to lostid's pictures! :D

A pic is worth thousands of words. LOL.

The sound stage is average. The separation of the instrument is nice which contributes to the 3D effect some of the members stated. But that 3d lacks depth so it gives you that fake 3d feeling. I consider these IEM’s a little bassy but the bass sounds a little weird and fatigue to me. The treble is unnatural and dry in my term. Treble is the weakest and renders most of my classical music sounded intolerable (I know many of you guys don’t care for classical).

Sound isolation is the best of all the IEM’s I have tried so far. You can either wear over ears or straight down. But I don’t like the fit due to comfort.

Honestly stay away from it my friend. As said many times, these IEM's are made of cheap cables and aluminum IMO. I know someone will be irritated AGAIN by this.

Waiting for being attacked ......

EDIT: I hope you didn't follow my thread from eke2k6's post. He did a through background check on me.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #838 of 4,690
Thx EKE.

Finally been notified after bought a week ago in the big  worldwide stock crash .... ufff

The funny thing is only now discovered that was on sale near me (100km), cheaper .... loool

"
Your item, posted on 07/02/12 with reference xxxxxGB has been received at our international mail centre and is being made ready for despatch overseas.
"

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #840 of 4,690

Quote:
Is not my music, I'm a 80's .... but I love this kind of music in club on Saturdays 4 AM when i have a beer in hand and my freaks buddies beside me.
floatsmile.png

Can you point me some good Trance albums to test with EPH.

Thx.

I'm not all out Trance person but it is one of the genre I listen to when i want to have fun dancing around or working out at the gym.
One of my other favourites is 80's too
wink_face.gif

The reason i suggested to try trance with the EPH100's is because it really will best illustrate separation ability of any IEM.
One of current favourites at the moment is Universal Religion 2008 Live from Armada at Ibiza
It's live recording which really allows you to appreciate the extra atmosphere created with a crowd.

Universal Religion Chapter 5 is the latest one in the same series but a non live recording .Excellent tracks.

If you can't wait why not try this track out as sampler - although not best quality audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back