Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #256 of 4,690
Anybody compared these to the CC51?

The description makes me think that the EPH-100 is similar in a way that the CC51 somewhat laid back but at the same time very lively with impactful but crisp bass. My CC51 did really well with today's mainstream pop music and EDM, but when I switched to live vocal performance, I kept thinking if only the mids was fleshed out better. They even share similar driver technology. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #257 of 4,690
The CC51 isn't really comparable to the EPH100. I've had both and the yam far exceeds the meelec in soundstage, clariy, and bass and mids quality. The treble on both is pretty similar from what I remember, for better and worse.

Quote:
Anybody compared these to the CC51?

The description makes me think that the EPH-100 is similar in a way that the CC51 somewhat laid back but at the same time very lively with impactful but crisp bass. My CC51 did really well with today's mainstream pop music and EDM, but when I switched to live vocal performance, I kept thinking if only the mids was fleshed out better. They even share similar driver technology. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #258 of 4,690
A few listenng notes:

I've listened to the EPH-100s both nights in bed now, and think they perform very well a low listening volumes, which has surprised me. They don't struggle to maintain clarity n the slightest, the contrary in fact.

This is made all the more enjoyable by comfort which is at least on par with the GR-07's. They actually beat the Vsonics in terms of ergonomics and usability, and subsequently beat all other phone that I've owned. They disappear effortlessly into the ear and instantly provide a near perfect perfect seal, without need of reinsertion or adjustment. They also stay in place very securely, even through activities such as high speed cycling... which brings me nicely to isolation, which is definitely well above average for a dynamic.The deepness of insertion clearly helps with this, as well as the stock tips which for me have eliminated the need to tip-hunt entirely. 

I'm still not familiar enough with this signature to do it justice with words... but think that like the RE-262, it has it has liquid mids to die for. These phones convey emotion with real poignancy. Unlike the RE-262 however it has a very monitor-like sound stage (or studio-stage) which emphasizes depth over width. In that way the Yamaha's remind me of the FXT90, but with far Superior laying and separation. That said the JVCs are obviously no slouch in this area... which is testament to how good the EPH-100s are.

The Yamaha's are much smoother than the JVCs, perfecting the anti-fatigue approach. In comparison the FXT90s are much more in your face and sound outright aggressive whilst A/Bing. This however is one of the JVCs major strengths, making them much more suited to genres such as punk, rock and metal. The Yamaha's are also behind on transients and well as speed.

If the GR-07 and the FXT90 complimented each other well, the EPH-100 and the FXT90 were made for each other. Their signatures really are that far apart. 

More on this later.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #259 of 4,690

Quote:
A few listenng notes:

I've listened to the EPH-100s both nights in bed now, and think they perform very well a low listening volumes, which has surprised me. They don't struggle to maintain clarity n the slightest, the contrary in fact.

This is made all the more enjoyable by comfort which is at least on par with the GR-07's. They actually beat the Vsonics in terms of ergonomics and usability, and subsequently beat all other phone that I've owned. They disappear effortlessly into the ear and instantly provide a near perfect perfect seal, without need of reinsertion or adjustment. They also stay in place very securely, even through activities such as high speed cycling... which brings me nicely to isolation, which is definitely well above average for a dynamic.The deepness of insertion clearly helps with this, as well as the stock tips which for me have eliminated the need to tip-hunt entirely. 

I'm still not familiar enough with this signature to do it justice with words... but think that like the RE-262, it has it has liquid mids to die for. These phones convey emotion with real poignancy. Unlike the RE-262 however it has a very monitor-like sound stage (or studio-stage) which emphasizes depth over width. In that way the Yamaha's remind me of the FXT90, but with far Superior laying and separation. That said the JVCs are obviously no slouch in this area... which is testament to how good the EPH-100s are.

The Yamaha's are much smoother than the JVCs, perfecting the anti-fatigue approach. In comparison the FXT90s are much more in your face and sound outright aggressive whilst A/Bing. This however is one of the JVCs major strengths, making them much more suited to genres such as punk, rock and metal. The Yamaha's are also behind on transients and well as speed.

If the GR-07 and the FXT90 complimented each other well, the EPH-100 and the FXT90 were made for each other. Their signatures really are that far apart. 

More on this later.

Any sibilance on the EPH-100? If so, how much sibilance compared to the GR07?

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #261 of 4,690

Quote:

That question has been answered a few times already in the thread. Zero

Nulliverse thanks for your impressions against FXT90. It was one for consideration before going with EPH100.

zero sibilance??? i have doubts... :/
i'll wait for more responses. xD

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #263 of 4,690
So EPH-100 is the ultimate GR07 killer.....eheheh

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #264 of 4,690
You fools! You've upset the time-space continuum by making me sell my beloved to buy this blasted eph-100 
biggrin.gif
. All your talking of fancy schmancy "3D Immersion" and what-not has made me spend more moneys! It had better be good....

Ok, rant over. I'm looking forward to it. I also got a good deal from J&R w/ expedited shipping, so I should have them this coming week. Hopefully this 3D imaging stuff isn't as big a gimmick as 3D TVs 
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #265 of 4,690

Quote:
So EPH-100 is the ultimate GR07 killer.....eheheh

No doubts. I gave a 9.2 to the GR-07's on my review (and considered them the best dynamic IEM I've heard - I also gave a 9.4 to the UM3X), but I have no doubts about giving now a 9.6 to the EPH-100's. Just don't give them a 10 now as treble could have been (slightly) improved in comparison with the SM3 and UM3X. Anyways, still 24 hours of burn-in on them (but they already sound that good). I'm still A/Bing them with the GR-07's, it's a night and day difference. Of course this is just my opinion, my experience with these IEMs, your mileage may vary.

And yes, +1 no sibilance.

Quote:
I really wonder how these Yamahas can use dynamic drivers with a such a sound. These must be a bit special.

They are YAMAHA. All said (YAMAHA is legendary on professional studio monitors). They did quite a hell of a job tweaking these IEMs, but I think the micro-driver is the future for dynamic IEMs. Of course that the driver alone is not sufficient and it's here that YAMAHA takes advantage over other brands on my opinion, by their vast experience with professional musical products.

EDIT: I managed to insert some Sony Hybrids here (the ones with some foam inside), and man, what a comfort and seal and isolation! I don't feel the IEMs and can't hear a thing from the outside. Think I'm gonna cancel my order with the Meelec tips. If you guys with discomfort with the stock tips are willing to really stretch some Sony Hybrids, you might like it as well as I do.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #266 of 4,690

Quote:
You fools! You've upset the time-space continuum by making me sell my beloved to buy this blasted eph-100 
biggrin.gif
. All your talking of fancy schmancy "3D Immersion" and what-not has made me spend more moneys! It had better be good....

Ok, rant over. I'm looking forward to it. I also got a good deal from J&R w/ expedited shipping, so I should have them this coming week. Hopefully this 3D imaging stuff isn't as big a gimmick as 3D TVs 
beerchug.gif

I'm interested to how you'll find them considering how much you praise the GR07s.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #267 of 4,690
Man miow you make me think these will be way better than my beloved TF10's and FXT90.  So these bad boys sound more like a $300 or $400 pair of IEM's and not the $150 they cost (or $115 from Audio Affair).

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #268 of 4,690
Yes, they sound more like a $300 or $400 pair of IEM's on my opinion. At least they give alot more fun than the SM3 or the UM3X and the detail and separation and 3D imaging is all there.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #269 of 4,690
Well then I stoked about getting them.  I was going to get them but got the FXT90, at least I had enough to EPH-100's and looking forward to comparing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back