Yamaha EPH-100
Nov 19, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #4,531 of 4,690
Most failures on this IEM are due to the full metal built of the external shell causing drivers to drown over time, which is why blowing air has worked in your case.

Water tend to condensate below the mesh while listening because the shell conduct cold from the outside to the nozzle inside the ear.

Most IEMs don't suffer from this because they have a plastic nozzle acting as a thermal insulant, or a shell made of several parts that don't conduct heat/cold.
The only other IEM that has this defect is Fidue Sirius, with the same all-metal shell.

When you're done listening, please soak up condensated water below the mesh by applying a paper tissue, that should help preventing drowning of the microdriver.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #4,534 of 4,690
This seems to be a frequent problem, but it often disappears. 
My solution is to put them in a little case with silica, to dry them out.
I'm pretty sure the transient problem, at least in my case, is that my
ears "sweat" into them, probably in the process described above.
I'm not sure about the soaking solution: do not want to induce premature
corrosion.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #4,537 of 4,690
  Hello 

I'm quite interested in these IEMs but I'm unsure if I want to bite the bullet just yet so I thought check with some of you guys who might have far more expertise than I have but my question would be this. Are there any alternatives to this IEM in that price range with a similar sound-signature in 2017? I mean I really want to get this but I'm really unsure in regards to the drowning issues of these earphones and whatnot. I'd be willing to go up a bit higher price wise if it meant I could get something less problematic down the road.
Are there any alternatives to this in general I might also want to check out?

Thanks in advance.

I've taken these headphones with me on many occasions, particularly on holidays, so they've seen the beach, heat, sweat, different pressures in the plane, and I never had a problem. Had them for almost 4,5 years until I lost them (they were in a backpack that I lost somewhere).

In fact, I've bought them again from Audio Affair. They are so good!

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #4,538 of 4,690
I've taken these headphones with me on many occasions, particularly on holidays, so they've seen the beach, heat, sweat, different pressures in the plane, and I never had a problem. Had them for almost 4,5 years until I lost them (they were in a backpack that I lost somewhere).

In fact, I've bought them again from Audio Affair. They are so good!

Is there any other better place to get these at a reasonable price?........ Seen a while ago it was £89.xx and now its £99.xx? I know they sell legit pairs but they keep on increasing for no reason which is not fair,imo.

usually the price steps down gradually being older model but in this case its the other way.Im neither a financial expert to know ,like this is how EU VAT works for the stockists to justify a reason.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,539 of 4,690
Hello, couldn't find any information in google, hope head-fi can help me.

I'm planning to buy Yamaha's, after some small research I found, that there are 2 versions of them - EPH-100 and EPH-100SL. Second costs a little bit more ( 25EUR difference here ), is it worth to pay 25EUR more or not ? 

Thanks in advance.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #4,540 of 4,690
Hi Guys,

After 5 years it seems the left nozzle of my EPH-100 died out. Which IEM has a similar sound signature and isolation as the Yamaha's? I read some recommended the RHA MA750 as a replacement, but the isolation isn't as good as the EPH-100. For me good isolation is important, so the RHA MA750 is probably a no go. 

So what about the ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore/ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso? Is either one comparable to the EPH-100?

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #4,541 of 4,690
  Hi Guys,

After 5 years it seems the left nozzle of my EPH-100 died out. Which IEM has a similar sound signature and isolation as the Yamaha's? I read some recommended the RHA MA750 as a replacement, but the isolation isn't as good as the EPH-100. For me good isolation is important, so the RHA MA750 is probably a no go. 

So what about the ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore/ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso? Is either one comparable to the EPH-100?

I'd pick the Carbo-basso - though it doesn't have the natural tonality nor separation of Yamaha's it does follow the V-shaped signature. The basso's upper treble may not be as smooth though.

The isolation is pretty good too, but it is prone to driver-flex, where a "kzz-kzz" noise produced when inserted to one's ears - but it won't affect the driver functionality though.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #4,542 of 4,690
After going through numerous different earphones I've settled with EPH-100, Tenore, and GR07. I would say the Tenore for sure. I switch between the Tenore and the EPH-100 at work and they compliment each other very well.

I disagree with @Gandasaputra, although we all hear things differently, but the EPH-100 is not V-shaped.....it's a boosted bass but rolled off treble....not sure what you'd call that (maybe L shaped). The Tenore is similar in this regard but with less bass boost and I do finder it slightly brighter.

I have heard the Basso but I did not think it was on the same level, timbre was off and just didn't sound as natural as the Tenore.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #4,543 of 4,690
  Hi Guys,

I've had both the Yamaha EPH-100 and Tenore for years. While I love the Tenores, they are less energetic than the EPH-100.
Hence why I use EPH-100 at the gym, whereas the Tenore at the office for more relaxed listening.

I'd look into the "OnePlus Icons". I don't own them, but I read that some EPH-100 owners swear by them.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #4,544 of 4,690
Hi everyone, first post here.

I'd like to make an investment and get my first pair of decent IEMs. I've been looking at a few different options such as Yamaha EPH-100, RHA MA750, Shure SE215, 1More Triple Driver and KEF M200. I like good isolation and less sound leakage, price range is about £100 ($125 or so) but I am willing to spend more if it's worth it.

I absolutely love the design and everything I've read about the Yamaha EPH-100. My only concern is that some people are reporting that they just die after a while due to moisture issues. Is it really risky and should I absolutely stay away from them? I'm planning to get them through Audio Affair UK and they offer a 2-year warranty (even though under product features it says 1 year, everywhere else it says 2 years) so if I can use them for 2 years my purchase would be justified.

Alternatively, do you have any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back