Yamaha EPH-100
Oct 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,141 of 4,690
  that's very encouraging :) thanks!

Do you find the cable to be thin and not particularly subtle and the strain relieve to be a bit fragile and a disappointment considering how much they are worth?

Here is a review of the EPH-100's that I think you would find interesting, let me know your thoughts on it :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV2g-4CXrW4

The review is just ********, I listen to music since 1969, mostly progressive rock and related, I know good cans of In Ears when I hear them, The only one I know that is really better is the grado GR10, but this one cost 3,5 time the price of the Yamaha set. A lot depends on the recordings, for example I did listen to the new Aranis album, " Made in Belgium" part II. This music is a kind of chamber rock, with all kinds of influences, and partly acoustic instruments.This cd is beautifully recorded and it shows with the EPH-100, who does everything super,inclusive the voices,everything sounds pure and even the emotions are to grab. I don´t know which music you like, but this one is also superb recording, Buena Vista Social Club, no prog, but I am rather eclectic in my taste, altough 80% I listen to is avant-prog and related, also vintage prog,like the old classics, of Yes, Genesis, etc.I think you will sort out what sounds good and what not, but don´t think that the Yamaha set is to blame. I listen with iPhone 5s and iPod Touch 64GB. At home I listen with my PC and a Teac Dac/ Amp as well as over ear cans, the Philips L2. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #4,142 of 4,690
I ended up purchasing the EPH-100's! 

I figured that since it was only a "one-time" offer of AU$89.95 and I couldn't imagine myself spending anymore on them I felt that it was a truly worth while bargain. 

If I don't like them or I feel that I'm not getting much use out of them I'm sure I'd be able to get some profit off selling them. 

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #4,143 of 4,690
  I ended up purchasing the EPH-100's! 

I figured that since it was only a "one-time" offer of AU$89.95 and I couldn't imagine myself spending anymore on them I felt that it was a truly worth while bargain. 

If I don't like them or I feel that I'm not getting much use out of them I'm sure I'd be able to get some profit off selling them. 

Enjoy! I reckon they are different enough that you will always have a place for them in your collection. Personally I'd only sell them if they are uncomfortable.

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #4,144 of 4,690

Enjoy! I reckon they are different enough that you will always have a place for them in your collection. Personally I'd only sell them if they are uncomfortable.

Thanks! I hope I enjoy them very much! :)

Yeah, comfort will probably be the deciding factor as I felt that the SE215LTD's were uncomfortable for long periods of time. 

I don't know if everyone thinks the same as I do but i really like the look of the EPH-100's :)

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #4,147 of 4,690
 I just received my EPH-100's in the mail today! 

I have to say that the build quality is top notch! I'm a tad concern about the strain relieve but I think it's best not to fiddle around with it too much :) but from a little jiggling it seems to be pretty solid but it looks to be something that you should "use with care". the cable seems to be better than I first thought it would be as Lachlanlikesathing said that it's feels "fragile and flimsy" however it's not as robust as the Shure cables. 

As for the labeling, can someone give me some heads up on whether I should expect the labeling on the headphones to wear off over time? I'm just a bit of a perfectionist so if I know ahead of time I'll know that it's normal for it to happen instead of going crazy over it :/ 

Edit: I only just noticed that the labeling is engraved :)

Even tho the EPh-100's nickel-chrome plating is resistant to scratches I still found that my pair  has already picked up light scratches.

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #4,148 of 4,690
  I have to say that the build quality is top notch! I'm a tad concern about the strain relieve but I think it's best not to fiddle around with it too much :) but from a little jiggling it seems to be pretty solid but it looks to be something that you should "use with care". the cable seems to be better than I first thought it would be as Lachlanlikesathing said that it's feels "fragile and flimsy" however it's not as robust as the Shure cables. 

As for the labeling, can someone give me some heads up on whether I should expect the labeling on the headphones to wear off over time? I'm just a bit of a perfectionist so if I know ahead of time I'll know that it's normal for it to happen instead of going crazy over it :/ 

Edit: I only just noticed that the labeling is engraved :)

Even tho the EPh-100's nickel-chrome plating is resistant to scratches I still found that my pair  has already picked up light scratches.

They do pick up some slight scratches, not very noticeable, but in the greater scheme of things they are very scratch resistant. The first pair I bought, which my wife now uses, still look just as good as the pair I bought last year. The strain relief is something that you have be careful with, its probably the IEMs weakest spot. Also take care when you pry off the ear tips if you want to switch sizes. On my first pair with the smallest ear tips, I had the housing coming apart once and took a bit of head scratching to get the driver and the housing pieces to clip back in together. That pair still works fine after around 3 years of use.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #4,149 of 4,690
Hi! I am totally new here and i know nothing about sound and i would like to ask you for help with my EPH-100. After reading tons of good things about them i bought them like 1 month ago and tbh i am not satisfied. Before i had some random 30$ iem's and i don't see any difference. First of all i think that my left earphone is broken. Sometimes I hear sound very low and there are some weird noises but when they get some rest it is fine again but mostly all the time i heard little scratches sometimes. Does anyone of you had same issue?

Second thing is that i don't have even sound card or an amp so i think that's probably the reason why i am not satisfied. I am thinking about buying Fiio E10K Olympus 2 but i would like to know what you guys think about cheap amp for that earphones. Mostly i am listening to death metal and melodic death metal and i work in home in front of pc so i am mostly listening to music from PC but it will be nice if i could pair it with my iphone 5s.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #4,150 of 4,690

They do pick up some slight scratches, not very noticeable, but in the greater scheme of things they are very scratch resistant. The first pair I bought, which my wife now uses, still look just as good as the pair I bought last year. The strain relief is something that you have be careful with, its probably the IEMs weakest spot. Also take care when you pry off the ear tips if you want to switch sizes. On my first pair with the smallest ear tips, I had the housing coming apart once and took a bit of head scratching to get the driver and the housing pieces to clip back in together. That pair still works fine after around 3 years of use.

That's good to hear! :) I'm a bit of a perfection so if light scratches are going to be the worse thing that will ever happen I think I can handle it :) I'm take very good care of my stuff :)

what's the best way to remove the ear tips?

How I took them off is that I used a "twisting" motion on the base of the ear tip until it passed the little groove that held them in place which I followed by pinching the end of the eartip to pull them off gently. when removing the XS tips I found it really hard when preforming the twisting movement on the ear tips. I had to pinch the end of the ear tips gently to try and get them to go over the little bump in order to take them off. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #4,151 of 4,690
  Hi! I am totally new here and i know nothing about sound and i would like to ask you for help with my EPH-100. After reading tons of good things about them i bought them like 1 month ago and tbh i am not satisfied. Before i had some random 30$ iem's and i don't see any difference. First of all i think that my left earphone is broken. Sometimes I hear sound very low and there are some weird noises but when they get some rest it is fine again but mostly all the time i heard little scratches sometimes. Does anyone of you had same issue?

Second thing is that i don't have even sound card or an amp so i think that's probably the reason why i am not satisfied. I am thinking about buying Fiio E10K Olympus 2 but i would like to know what you guys think about cheap amp for that earphones. Mostly i am listening to death metal and melodic death metal and i work in home in front of pc so i am mostly listening to music from PC but it will be nice if i could pair it with my iphone 5s.

I'm not the best person to ask in terms on recommendations however I found the Yamaha EPH-100's to be far better in terms of comfort and a more natural yet fun sound signature compared to the SE215LTDs that I previous owned and now sold. 

I wouldn't recommend buying an amp as I did the same thing as you and thought it would make my headphones sound better which they did however I don't think it's worth it imho.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #4,152 of 4,690

Seems like you have a faulty pair or they might be fakes. These are easily way better than any $30 IEM I've heard. They sound just fine straight out of my smartphone and Macbook Pro and don't really change much with amplification. I'd take the issue further from the supplier you bought them from.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #4,153 of 4,690
ok guys thank you a lot but anyway will it change something if i buy at least some sound card for my PC? Is it worth to buy some basic (like e10k) dac amp or not? I use some random realtek default card from my motherboard. They are not fake for sure because i bought em in a good music shop because in past i bought ****ty chinese beats by dr dre for quite normal price 
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #4,154 of 4,690
  ok guys thank you a lot but anyway will it change something if i buy at least some sound card for my PC? Is it worth to buy some basic (like e10k) dac amp or not? I use some random realtek default card from my motherboard. They are not fake for sure because i bought em in a good music shop because in past i bought ****ty chinese beats by dr dre for quite normal price 
frown.gif

For sure, if you are having issues with hum it could well be the onboard sound card. Any portable USB DAC would do, the Fiio's are a great choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back