Yamaha EPH-100
Jul 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #4,066 of 4,690
Nope, Amazon should be legit

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #4,067 of 4,690
Re the fake EPH-100, I was told that an easy way to check was whether the Yam logos on the end of the iem body and the R/L lettering was embossed into the metal, ie you should be able to feel indentation where the logos are. If they are just printed on top, they may well be fake..... I got mine on Ebay Aus and they are fine.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #4,069 of 4,690
Wow they look cool. Where are those tips from?

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #4,071 of 4,690
Re the fake EPH-100, I was told that an easy way to check was whether the Yam logos on the end of the iem body and the R/L lettering was embossed into the metal, ie you should be able to feel indentation where the logos are. If they are just printed on top, they may well be fake..... I got mine on Ebay Aus and they are fine.

Hey thanks for that tip. Mine seem to be genuine as far as this method goes.
Meanwhile I am discovering them with ipod 5.5G especially bought (preowned of course) for them and I like them till now. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #4,072 of 4,690
I just got these from Amazon, and while I enjoy the soundstage/presentation and general lushness of them, I find the bass to be too emphasized. I enjoy bass, but I find that I have to turn the whole volume up to get clarity from mids and trebles, and that makes the bass overly fatiguing.

Does anyone have recommendations for what to try next?

- Looking for $75-$150 range
- Coming from an Earsonics SM3 that lost a channel (enjoyed those thoroughly though)
- Enveloping soundstage/presentation

I'm thinking about the RE-400 at this point?

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #4,075 of 4,690
  I just got these from Amazon, and while I enjoy the soundstage/presentation and general lushness of them, I find the bass to be too emphasized. I enjoy bass, but I find that I have to turn the whole volume up to get clarity from mids and trebles, and that makes the bass overly fatiguing.

- Coming from an Earsonics SM3 that lost a channel (enjoyed those thoroughly though)

I have to agree, I found exactly the same when first listening to these. I'm no bass monster but I like bass to be present and good quality. However, these just seemed overpowering when first listening. I'm unsure whether it is just my ears becoming attuned to the sound or that, with use, the bass has calmed down a little for some reason but I am getting used to them somewhat. I usually use them directly out of an Ipod Classic 6, amping only seems to compound the bass problem.

However, I too am exploring the idea of something a little flatter sounding and might try to get hold of some RE-400's, if only for comparison.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #4,077 of 4,690

I just received mine last Saturday from Amazon as well (shipped and sold by). I wasn't going to post anything as I figured I'll just live with the way they are, but I have the same exact problem with the over emphasized bass.

I do mostly listen to EDM and loved the Klipsch X10 that I was hoping these would replace (I lost them so I can't do a direct comparison) but the bass on these feels way more substantial and less clear/textured than the X10 unless I use an equalizer to attenuate the lower frequencies. Doing so does make them sound amazing and once the lower frequencies are reduced it is much easier to pick out the details, but it's hard to believe that this isn't a common opinion.

I have tried to burn them in overnight and I have not really noticed an improvement.

Granted, I just replaced my source with an HTC M8 which is known for it's higher powered DAC, but trying my old phone (Droid Bionic) my soundcard (Sonar DX) output, and an Astro Mixamp on my PC produces similar results. Your post makes me very suspicious whether we're listening to the same earphones as everyone else is and I'm not so sure if I'm going to keep them.

Is there anyone else that recently purchased these from Amazon? I wonder if this is some new batch. I have seen the threads discussing fakes and don't believe mine to be.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,078 of 4,690

I have to agree, I found exactly the same when first listening to these. I'm no bass monster but I like bass to be present and good quality. However, these just seemed overpowering when first listening. I'm unsure whether it is just my ears becoming attuned to the sound or that, with use, the bass has calmed down a little for some reason but I am getting used to them somewhat. I usually use them directly out of an Ipod Classic 6, amping only seems to compound the bass problem.

However, I too am exploring the idea of something a little flatter sounding and might try to get hold of some RE-400's, if only for comparison.

I just received mine last Saturday from Amazon as well (shipped and sold by). I wasn't going to post anything as I figured I'll just live with the way they are, but I have the same exact problem with the over emphasized bass.

I do mostly listen to EDM and loved the Klipsch X10 that I was hoping these would replace (I lost them so I can't do a direct comparison) but the bass on these feels way more substantial and less clear/textured than the X10 unless I use an equalizer to attenuate the lower frequencies. Doing so does make them sound amazing and once the lower frequencies are reduced it is much easier to pick out the details, but it's hard to believe that this isn't a common opinion.

I have tried to burn them in overnight and I have not really noticed an improvement.

Granted, I just replaced my source with an HTC M8 which is known for it's higher powered DAC, but trying my old phone (Droid Bionic) my soundcard (Sonar DX) output, and an Astro Mixamp on my PC produces similar results. Your post makes me very suspicious whether we're listening to the same earphones as everyone else is and I'm not so sure if I'm going to keep them.

Is there anyone else that recently purchased these from Amazon? I wonder if this is some new batch. I have seen the threads discussing fakes and don't believe mine to be.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Sounds really strange guys, the bass shouldn''t be that emphasised. If you can return them take a look at the cheaper Ostry KC06 

(which I think performs better than EPH-100 anyway). Keep in mind their isolation is quite low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back