Yamaha EPH-100
May 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #3,871 of 4,690
  Do you think the RE-400s would be more suitable over the EPH-100s for the music I listen to? Mostly classical, piano, acoustic, symphonies, vocals, and some occasional rock splashed in there?

The soundstage was perceivably larger with the EPH-100 mainly due to the presentation having more bass emphasis and thus a slightly more recessed midrange when compared directly to the RE-400, but realistically they are on par I'd say, a bit above average in size.  While I don't listen to much classical (I just have a few select baroque pieces), I think the imaging/separation is a bit better on the RE-400 and it will feel a bit less congested, so better suited for classical. I do have a good bit of modern piano, acoustic and vocal tracks and I feel the RE-400 is definitely better suited to those - they have a special way with vocals particularly (more upper mids presence perhaps, transparency in mids), enough to warrant me having a pair on hand still. 
redface.gif
 They're both pretty versatile, but the RE-400 presentation is relatively non fatiguing and as a result could be considered more relaxed, whereas the EPH-100 is a more exciting experience and definitely better suited to rock, metal and electronic genres.  I'd say technically speaking, both are equals with different tuning and presentations, but I'd recommend the RE-400 for the genres you listen to most...and I think they're still quite decent with rock.  If after trying them you find yourself wanting a bit more warmth/bass and a bit of added lushness in the lower mids, you can't go wrong with the EPH-100 there.  I will say there is a bit more tweakability in regards to the RE-400 in that you can add additional damping material in the nozzle (essentially a low-pass filter to bring everything below 1kHz more forward) and there is a wider assortment of tips that work with them.

May 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,872 of 4,690
  The soundstage was perceivably larger with the EPH-100 mainly due to the presentation having more bass emphasis and thus a slightly more recessed midrange when compared directly to the RE-400, but realistically they are on par I'd say, a bit above average in size.  While I don't listen to much classical (I just have a few select baroque pieces), I think the imaging/separation is a bit better on the RE-400 and it will feel a bit less congested, so better suited for classical. I do have a good bit of modern piano, acoustic and vocal tracks and I feel the RE-400 is definitely better suited to those - they have a special way with vocals particularly (more upper mids presence perhaps, transparency in mids), enough to warrant me having a pair on hand still. 
redface.gif
 They're both pretty versatile, but the RE-400 presentation is relatively non fatiguing and as a result could be considered more relaxed, whereas the EPH-100 is a more exciting experience and definitely better suited to rock, metal and electronic genres.  I'd say technically speaking, both are equals with different tuning and presentations, but I'd recommend the RE-400 for the genres you listen to most...and I think they're still quite decent with rock.  If after trying them you find yourself wanting a bit more warmth/bass and a bit of added lushness in the lower mids, you can't go wrong with the EPH-100 there.  I will say there is a bit more tweakability in regards to the RE-400 in that you can add additional damping material in the nozzle (essentially a low-pass filter to bring everything below 1kHz more forward) and there is a wider assortment of tips that work with them.

I listened to both and I concur with @modulor. The RE-400 will be better suited for your listening tastes. It's more neutral. Extends well on the deep end, but it's not as emphasized as the EPH-100. I personally ended up picking the EPH-100, as I already have a full-size headphone that's more versatile, so wanted a more 'fun' sounding IEM. The RE-400 has beautiful mids and highs, and plenty of bass though, and when listening to classical/vocals/piano they'll really shine.

May 4, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #3,873 of 4,690
Has anyone damaged the drivers? I just got a pair and while listening to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuOpXHunq6U

I noticed there is a ton of vibrations. I'm not sure if its just these IEMs picking up all this bass or what. I just can't imagine this is good in the long term. 

May 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,874 of 4,690
I was wondering,is it still worth to get this iem since its already discontinued. Some other guys recommand me fostex te 05. Anyway, is this consider http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Yamaha-EPH100-EPH-100-Headphone-in-ear-Earphones-/321388043940?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ad4385ea4 genuine? As for warranty is ebay reliable? Or should I just order from my country headphone reseller store? Which they claim that they can order for me but its from china. They claim that is genuine if is not,I can ask for a refund. Which one should i order from,the ebay one cost cheaper which is 110 usd. While the local store selling me at 129 usd but with 1 year warranty.

May 12, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #3,875 of 4,690
Yeah I'm afraid your right. I listen to a lot of music that is bass dependant, such as Chillstep, lounge, some dubstep, hip hop and then a little bit of everything in between. I shouldn't be judging them until I get the new tips on them and at least 40 hours of play time. I really don't feel i'm getting a good enough seal.

I wonder if I should try the GR07 BE or some other headphone that has great bass. 

I really really want to try the XBA-40... but they are expensive and source dependant. I don't amp, just play from my iPhone and MacBook. I don't know how much I will like their warm, thick sound signature, but heard they have phenomenal bass and clarity. 

May 12, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3,876 of 4,690
My best in ears on my Iphone 5s are without doubt the Sennheiser IE80, but this is another price class, the Yamaha's I have too are good but no competetion, my advice for you is to try the Grado IGI who come a bit cheaper than the Yamaha's and unfortunately the looks too but they are pretty exciting sounding IEM's on the I phone also for classical music and voices.

May 12, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #3,877 of 4,690
I was wondering,is it still worth to get this iem since its already discontinued. Some other guys recommand me fostex te 05. Anyway, is this consider http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Yamaha-EPH100-EPH-100-Headphone-in-ear-Earphones-/321388043940?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ad4385ea4 genuine? As for warranty is ebay reliable? Or should I just order from my country headphone reseller store? Which they claim that they can order for me but its from china. They claim that is genuine if is not,I can ask for a refund. Which one should i order from,the ebay one cost cheaper which is 110 usd. While the local store selling me at 129 usd but with 1 year warranty.

The limited seller experience is a concern. I wouldn't use that source if I were you.

May 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #3,878 of 4,690
Better spend a bit more from an official dealer, I wouldn´t trust Ebay, the savings you made could be very expensive afterwards when the in ears are fake, Audio Affair in the UK are pretty good and honest, I did buy mine with them, because 2 years ago the EPH-100 was not avaiable in Germany.

May 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #3,879 of 4,690

The limited seller experience is a concern. I wouldn't use that source if I were you.

Better spend a bit more from an official dealer, I wouldn´t trust Ebay, the savings you made could be very expensive afterwards when the in ears are fake, Audio Affair in the UK are pretty good and honest, I did buy mine with them, because 2 years ago the EPH-100 was not avaiable in Germany.

Hmm,Guess i go with the local reseller :) Thx for the feed back guys =D Importing from UK to my country would cost me a bomb and Shipping it back would be expensive too. What i worried the most would be facing the right ear iem cut off problem. Anyone's eph 100 last more than a year? :/

May 23, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #3,880 of 4,690
Just receive my eph100 today =D Just wanna ask you guys, How long should i burn in this baby? The bass is well controlled out of the box. Not sure is it just me or what, the aluminium edge kinda sharp. Is it ok if i burn in using my phone as media player? What volume should i put? Is it ok to put at 7/14? Pardon me,i'm just too excited about this IEM. Waited 1 week for it to reach my house XD

May 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #3,881 of 4,690
Yea them edges are pretty sharp but generally it didn't really affect me when using them. Just don't sleep on your side cos it hurt my ears on numerous occasion when i woke up :wink: Hope you enjoy them cos they are a great pair ^^ a little sad i dont have mine anymore T^T

May 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #3,885 of 4,690
If there is ever a successor then it will probably be awesome provided Yamaha learn from their mistakes on the EPH100 and fix the reliability, and the damn memory effect on the cable(it's really been annoying me these past few days).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back