Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 3, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #3,616 of 4,690
For what it's worth, I listen to mine for many hours at a time, not long after showering, and have fallen asleep with them in bed on several occasions, and they are still going strong.

So not everyone is having problems.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #3,617 of 4,690
  For what it's worth, I listen to mine for many hours at a time, not long after showering, and have fallen asleep with them in bed on several occasions, and they are still going strong.

So not everyone is having problems.

I agree.  I have 2 pairs of EPH100s.  The first one has been with me for 2 years and 8 months while the second I acquired last April 2013.  Both have been used in bed and I have fallen asleep with them while plugged to my ears.  

FYI, the old one sounds better though.  Bass is tighter and the highs are more articulate.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #3,618 of 4,690
TBH its a bit of a lottery as I'm on my third pair of 100s but some people have had one pair still working past two years. I would say get a pair and see. If they break you can get something else, but if you like them, keep them.

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #3,619 of 4,690
Thanks for the response guys. I've decided to go for the HiFiman RE-400 instead. I don't like buying stuff that has a significant chance of breaking with normal use.

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #3,620 of 4,690
  Thanks for the response guys. I've decided to go for the HiFiman RE-400 instead. I don't like buying stuff that has a significant chance of breaking with normal use.

Kindly read the RE400 thread.  I've owned the RE600 but only for a few weeks.  From what I've heard and seen, the RE400 isn't exactly an apotheosis of sturdiness either.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3,621 of 4,690

Kindly read the RE400 thread.  I've owned the RE600 but only for a few weeks.  From what I've heard and seen, the RE400 isn't exactly an apotheosis of sturdiness either.

Thanks. I did read it and it seems that the problems were more apparent with the earlier production runs. Hopefully the newer models will be a bit more durable (cable problems).

Also, they're about € 30 - € 40 cheaper than the Yamaha here in the Netherlands, so that matters too :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3,622 of 4,690
  Thanks. I did read it and it seems that the problems were more apparent with the earlier production runs. Hopefully the newer models will be a bit more durable (cable problems).

Also, they're about € 30 - € 40 cheaper than the Yamaha here in the Netherlands, so that matters too :)

Happy listening!

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #3,623 of 4,690
Hi guys, I'm looking to replace my now aging Shure SE530 and am interested in these Yammies. I'm a bit concerned about the comments of people saying they sometimes lose sound on the right side. Do you think this is really common, or does it just seem that way as dissatisfied people are more likely to come complain on here? Otherwise, what else would be similar to these Yammies if the general recommendation is to avoid these because of the QC issues?

FYI, yes I'm taking a big step down in budget from the SE530 to the Yammie (if I go for them), but that's because I really don't want to spend that much on an IEM anymore, as I now also have a pair of very good headphones (the Sony 7520, highly recommended by the way).

Thanks!

I've has two pairs with no channel drop issues. Evidently this is something that really happens, but I've not experienced it.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,624 of 4,690

Actually, I went ahead and also ordered the Yammies. Will decide which one I'm gonna keep, but from what I'm reading in terms of sound signature, I'm leaning towards the Yammies, as I do like a decent amount of bass presence without it turning into bass-head territory. I listen to a lot of electronic music, in addition to many other genres. I just hope I won't run into the problems mentioned in this thread and I'll try to take good care of them.

For a more accurate sound I can go to my full-size cans :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #3,625 of 4,690
I can assure you that for EDM the EPH100s are brilliant, perfect amount of bass without being too boomy or overpowering.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #3,626 of 4,690
I've had them for well over a year and run with them all of the time.  TONS of sweat and not a single issue.  So much sweat that I had to put some tape around the Y cable just below where the sliding connector sits when I run because it would constantly slide downward because of the sweat.  16 hour flights are also no problem.  Maybe I just got a good set.

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3,627 of 4,690
  I've had them for well over a year and run with them all of the time.  TONS of sweat and not a single issue.  So much sweat that I had to put some tape around the Y cable just below where the sliding connector sits when I run because it would constantly slide downward because of the sweat.  16 hour flights are also no problem.  Maybe I just got a good set.

It might not be related to moisture at all. Perhaps changes in temperature. I got a few time the issue, but managed to remake it work after.
I'm not using much recently my eph100, I really like my new xb500.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #3,629 of 4,690
So have any of you EPH-100 owners also listened to the RE-400. How would you say they compare? I know the EPH-100 will have more bass, but how much more exactly? And how about the difference is bass quality?

Also how do the mids of the EPH-100 compare to the RE-400? And the highs? I read that the RE-400 has great mids, so I wonder if the EPH-100 can match them.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back