Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 15, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,586 of 4,690
Hi Araakii--

Yes, I believe the iems were real, but the tips fake. I would try to return yours, if possible.

The good news is that there are several aftermarket tips from Meelectronics that fit the Yamahas. The bad news is that none of them are as good as the Yamaha tips.

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #3,587 of 4,690
Hi Araakii--

Yes, I believe the iems were real, but the tips fake. I would try to return yours, if possible.

The good news is that there are several aftermarket tips from Meelectronics that fit the Yamahas. The bad news is that none of them are as good as the Yamaha tips.

Yeah the problem is mostly with the nozell, is that its too wide to fit many aftermarket tips.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,591 of 4,690
  Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone knows how the bass on the Yamaha's compare to the bass on Soundmagic E10 or even in comparison to Beyerdynamic DTX 101 ie?

I had the E10 as well and the bass on them is larger in quantity but lower in quality than on the Yams. EPH bass is tighter and much more controlled, thus making it more fun to listen to.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #3,592 of 4,690
I searched this thread but could not find what I'm looking for.

Wondering if anyone has both the EPH-100 and ATH-IM70 and can make a comparison... I'm trying to decide what to get next and those are the two main contenders for me right now. I listen to mainly classical, but lots of other stuff too, out of ipod classic and FiiO E6.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,593 of 4,690
  The bass on the Yamaha Sound much more natural , groovy and in dept, actually it is better to compare the yamaha´s with headphones in the 250-300 Dollar league, yes they are that good!

I had the E10 as well and the bass on them is larger in quantity but lower in quality than on the Yams. EPH bass is tighter and much more controlled, thus making it more fun to listen to.

Hey there! Thanks to both of you for the replies. That has put things into greater perspective for me. I am sort of hoping that the bass is similar in quality to that of the Beyers.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #3,594 of 4,690
Just got these today from Amazon.

I already like them right out of the box. They sound really good. Bass seems to be as good as I expected.

The tips are a bit weird but hopefully I'll get used to them. I usually use single-flange but these are double-flanges so it's a big change for me.

I was looking for replacements for my ATH-CKM99 and I think I found them! 130 euros well-spent
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #3,595 of 4,690
Thought people might be interested in my impressions of these, since I recently got these for metal listening.

First off, out of the box, I didn't like the sound signature very much at all. That said, I'm very picky about sound signature when it comes to metal. 

The EPH seems to have a fair extra emphasis on the lower mid, which I imagine in other genres gives the music a nice "body", but in metal, where this range is often already boosted, it leaves the music sounding congested and dull.
The other issue was that the upper mids seem to be a bit on the reserved side, perhaps to reduce fatigue, but again I find metal works better with a brighter/clearer sound in this register.

And so I went to work with the EQ. Brought down the low end to reduce congestion, brought up the upper mids to highs a bit, left mids mostly intact. If anyone is interested, here is a pic: http://imgur.com/zwunX6n

Big difference! The music really opened up. So after that, I had a new set of impressions.

* Great instrument separation. Drums are tight and distinct. Guitars float and crunch nicely and distinctly in the mix. Almost every instrument is clearly audible and sounds good, with the intimate soundstage bringing it all into a very involving mix. Hi-hats can sometimes sound artificial/distracting however.

* Vocals sound good with nice body. Not too much to say on that topic.

* Small/intimate soundstage. Can be both good and bad depending on the track. Weak stereophonic effect compared to some IEMs.

* Bass is strong and tight with good impact and accuracy. Could be more detailed however.

* Great build quality and comfort. Tips can be very hard to get off however! Also wish that there was a tactile way to tell left/right apart without looking at them. EDIT: As I've been informed there is a bump on the left stress relief. Nice one Yamaha!

* Fit can be tricky. Spent a lot of time trying tips initially, since I found that the fit had a major impact on the sound quality. Deep insertion with minimal air between the driver and the ear canal (try pressing the outside into your ears with your fingers) gave the best and clearest sound, but I found this fit too painful and ultimately went with a larger tip and shallower fit, which still sounded "good enough". Occasionally still need to tweak the fit while listening to get the "closer" sound, which can make a dramatic difference. Has anyone tried aftermarket tips that make this easier to achieve with comfort? EDIT: I found a good sounding and reliable fit by moving one size down on the tips. I think in general for best sound you want the smallest tip that will still seal, as larger tips loosen up the sound undesirably.

So yeah, all in all a very nice little IEM once I got the sound signature closer to where I wanted it. Fairly remarkable for the price actually. I don't have them anymore but I think the next step up that could beat them in some areas is Brainwavz B2, but even then B2 build quality and cable is FAR inferior to the Yamaha.

Anyway, hope that all made sense and helps someone out with their choice 
smily_headphones1.gif

UPDATE:
Having spent a lot more time with them, I'm really enjoying the sound. Rich and interesting, they are a lot of fun to listen to, though they are still not very neutral and as such lacking in versatility without specific EQ.
If anyone is interested, this is the "best" EQ setting I came up with for a lot of Metal: http://i.imgur.com/F81JYir.png
It brings down the bump in lower mid and bass to give a "decongestant" effect for music that needs it, though it can be too light for more brightly mastered music. Also bumped up the upper mid to give it a bit more energy.

And for context, I believe the poweramp app has a 14db range on the EQ, so I've brought the 500hz band down by ~2.8db for example in that screenshot.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #3,596 of 4,690
There is a small raised dot on the back of the left strain relief to tell the drivers apart.

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #3,597 of 4,690
  Just got these today from Amazon.

I already like them right out of the box. They sound really good. Bass seems to be as good as I expected.

The tips are a bit weird but hopefully I'll get used to them. I usually use single-flange but these are double-flanges so it's a big change for me.

I was looking for replacements for my ATH-CKM99 and I think I found them! 130 euros well-spent
cool.gif

Just dont loose any of those tips, they are hard as hell to get hold off.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3,599 of 4,690
Thought people might be interested in my impressions of these, since I recently got these for metal listening.

First off, out of the box, I didn't like the sound signature very much at all. That said, I'm very picky about sound signature when it comes to metal. 

The EPH seems to have a fair extra emphasis on the lower mid, which I imagine in other genres gives the music a nice "body", but in metal, where this range is often already boosted, it leaves the music sounding congested and dull.
The other issue was that the upper mids seem to be a bit on the reserved side, perhaps to reduce fatigue, but again I find metal works better with a brighter/clearer sound in this register.

And so I went to work with the EQ. Brought down the low end to reduce congestion, brought up the upper mids to highs a bit, left mids mostly intact. If anyone is interested, here is a pic: http://imgur.com/zwunX6n

Big difference! The music really opened up. So after that, I had a new set of impressions.

* Great instrument separation. Drums are tight and distinct. Guitars float and crunch nicely and distinctly in the mix. Almost every instrument is clearly audible and sounds good, with the intimate soundstage bringing it all into a very involving mix. Hi-hats can sometimes sound artificial/distracting however.

* Vocals sound good with nice body. Not too much to say on that topic.

* Small/intimate soundstage. Can be both good and bad depending on the track. Weak stereophonic effect compared to some IEMs.

* Bass is strong and tight with good impact and accuracy. Could be more detailed however.

* Great build quality and comfort. Tips can be very hard to get off however! Also wish that there was a tactile way to tell left/right apart without looking at them. EDIT: As I've been informed there is a bump on the left stress relief. Nice one Yamaha!

* Fit can be tricky. Spent a lot of time trying tips initially, since I found that the fit had a major impact on the sound quality. Deep insertion with minimal air between the driver and the ear canal (try pressing the outside into your ears with your fingers) gave the best and clearest sound, but I found this fit too painful and ultimately went with a larger tip and shallower fit, which still sounded "good enough". Occasionally still need to tweak the fit while listening to get the "closer" sound, which can make a dramatic difference. Has anyone tried aftermarket tips that make this easier to achieve with comfort? EDIT: I found a good sounding and reliable fit by moving one size down on the tips. I think in general for best sound you want the smallest tip that will still seal, as larger tips loosen up the sound undesirably.

So yeah, all in all a very nice little IEM once I got the sound signature closer to where I wanted it. Fairly remarkable for the price actually. I don't have them anymore but I think the next step up that could beat them in some areas is Brainwavz B2, but even then B2 build quality and cable is FAR inferior to the Yamaha.

Anyway, hope that all made sense and helps someone out with their choice :)  

UPDATE:
Having spent a lot more time with them, I'm really enjoying the sound. Rich and interesting, they are a lot of fun to listen to, though they are still not very neutral and as such lacking in versatility without specific EQ.
If anyone is interested, this is the "best" EQ setting I came up with for a lot of Metal: http://i.imgur.com/F81JYir.png
It brings down the bump in lower mid and bass to give a "decongestant" effect for music that needs it, though it can be too light for more brightly mastered music. Also bumped up the upper mid to give it a bit more energy.

And for context, I believe the poweramp app has a 14db range on the EQ, so I've brought the 500hz band down by ~2.8db for example in that screenshot.

I had a rare opportunity to have a completely broken-in pair of EPHs and a pair brand new out of the box. They sound very different.

The broken in pair is much more open and revealing. The bass on the new pair is deep, but lacking some control. I'm sure as the drivers have a chance to loses up the taughtness of the mass will mellow, because the broken in pair sounds more musical and less stiff. When we say bass sounds deep, it doesn't necessarily mean that it sounds loose of fluid. It can be deep yet truncated, in a way that makes it just too dense. That density is what seems to contribute to the "congested" presentation people of speak of.

Going back and forth from the broken-in pair to the new pair it readily apparent just how much a dynamic driver can begin to resolve itself ones it has been worked.

Even the highs on the new pair are sterile by comparison. But one thing I've always loved about Yamaha is there ability to make detailed presentation musical. Now I get to enjoy breaking in this new pair of EPHs as the pair originally delivered (as new) goes back for restock.

This is a fit picky IEM but the end result is one superlative listening experience.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3,600 of 4,690
Plus 1 to bohdy for his observations on the eph's performance w/ metal.

Anyone else out there using these w/ fiio x3, and listening to metal? If so, care to share your eq settings?

Really, anyone's eq settings w/ the fiio player would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back