Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 28, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #3,601 of 4,690

Thought people might be interested in my impressions of these, since I recently got these for metal listening.

First off, out of the box, I didn't like the sound signature very much at all. That said, I'm very picky about sound signature when it comes to metal. 

The EPH seems to have a fair extra emphasis on the lower mid, which I imagine in other genres gives the music a nice "body", but in metal, where this range is often already boosted, it leaves the music sounding congested and dull.
The other issue was that the upper mids seem to be a bit on the reserved side, perhaps to reduce fatigue, but again I find metal works better with a brighter/clearer sound in this register.

And so I went to work with the EQ. Brought down the low end to reduce congestion, brought up the upper mids to highs a bit, left mids mostly intact. If anyone is interested, here is a pic: http://imgur.com/zwunX6n

Big difference! The music really opened up. So after that, I had a new set of impressions.

* Great instrument separation. Drums are tight and distinct. Guitars float and crunch nicely and distinctly in the mix. Almost every instrument is clearly audible and sounds good, with the intimate soundstage bringing it all into a very involving mix. Hi-hats can sometimes sound artificial/distracting however.

* Vocals sound good with nice body. Not too much to say on that topic.

* Small/intimate soundstage. Can be both good and bad depending on the track. Weak stereophonic effect compared to some IEMs.

* Bass is strong and tight with good impact and accuracy. Could be more detailed however.

* Great build quality and comfort. Tips can be very hard to get off however! Also wish that there was a tactile way to tell left/right apart without looking at them. EDIT: As I've been informed there is a bump on the left stress relief. Nice one Yamaha!

* Fit can be tricky. Spent a lot of time trying tips initially, since I found that the fit had a major impact on the sound quality. Deep insertion with minimal air between the driver and the ear canal (try pressing the outside into your ears with your fingers) gave the best and clearest sound, but I found this fit too painful and ultimately went with a larger tip and shallower fit, which still sounded "good enough". Occasionally still need to tweak the fit while listening to get the "closer" sound, which can make a dramatic difference. Has anyone tried aftermarket tips that make this easier to achieve with comfort? EDIT: I found a good sounding and reliable fit by moving one size down on the tips. I think in general for best sound you want the smallest tip that will still seal, as larger tips loosen up the sound undesirably.

So yeah, all in all a very nice little IEM once I got the sound signature closer to where I wanted it. Fairly remarkable for the price actually. I don't have them anymore but I think the next step up that could beat them in some areas is Brainwavz B2, but even then B2 build quality and cable is FAR inferior to the Yamaha.

Anyway, hope that all made sense and helps someone out with their choice 
smily_headphones1.gif

UPDATE:
Having spent a lot more time with them, I'm really enjoying the sound. Rich and interesting, they are a lot of fun to listen to, though they are still not very neutral and as such lacking in versatility without specific EQ.
If anyone is interested, this is the "best" EQ setting I came up with for a lot of Metal: http://i.imgur.com/F81JYir.png
It brings down the bump in lower mid and bass to give a "decongestant" effect for music that needs it, though it can be too light for more brightly mastered music. Also bumped up the upper mid to give it a bit more energy.

And for context, I believe the poweramp app has a 14db range on the EQ, so I've brought the 500hz band down by ~2.8db for example in that screenshot.
I had a rare opportunity to have a completely broken-in pair of EPHs and a pair brand new out of the box. They sound very different.

The broken in pair is much more open and revealing. The bass on the new pair is deep, but lacking some control. I'm sure as the drivers have a chance to loses up the taughtness of the mass will mellow, because the broken in pair sounds more musical and less stiff. When we say bass sounds deep, it doesn't necessarily mean that it sounds loose of fluid. It can be deep yet truncated, in a way that makes it just too dense. That density is what seems to contribute to the "congested" presentation people of speak of.

Going back and forth from the broken-in pair to the new pair it readily apparent just how much a dynamic driver can begin to resolve itself ones it has been worked.

Even the highs on the new pair are sterile by comparison. But one thing I've always loved about Yamaha is there ability to make detailed presentation musical. Now I get to enjoy breaking in this new pair of EPHs as the pair originally delivered (as new) goes back for restock.

This is a fit picky IEM but the end result is one superlative listening experience.

Thanks for the information. Very interesting, as you were able to compare a new pair and a burnt in pair! I’m usually a bit skeptical to burn-in (even in regard to dynamic drivers as in this case), but I too am beginning to feel the EPH-100 is improving with burn in. Think it’s been going for some 20 hours or so by now.

Yes, I agree this is a very “fit picky IEM”! In general, but especially in regard to the EPH-100, the fit is absolutely critical so as not to lose performance. If you get the fit just the slightest wrong the sound becomes distorted. It just dies.

At first I thought some of smaller tips with a really deep fit were the way to go. However, I now use the largest tips (I have rather large ear canals) and stop the insertion as soon as I reach maximum isolation. Very comfortable and well sounding!

With the right fit and some burn in I’m beginning to enjoy this IEM. It’s perfect for causal listening as it is really non-fatiguing without feeling veiled the way the EarSonics SM3 sometimes can do. However, it’s quite rewarding when listened to in a focused fashion as well.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #3,602 of 4,690
Hey,

I bought a pair of the EPH-100SL from Amazon on Jan 24th. Up until a few minutes ago they were working fine. Now, the right bud has a noticeable lower volume coming out of it. I've been using these for about 3 hours everyday for almost a week now. What do I do? I'm in the US.

edit: They've suddenly started working correctly now. I fired up an old game which had a speaker test and the volume coming out is the same now. Music sound like it should, too Definitely an improvement over how it was 10 minutes ago. Should I worried about this? Is this just a part of the burn-in process?

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #3,603 of 4,690
  Hey,

I bought a pair of the EPH-100SL from Amazon on Jan 24th. Up until a few minutes ago they were working fine. Now, the right bud has a noticeable lower volume coming out of it. I've been using these for about 3 hours everyday for almost a week now. What do I do? I'm in the US.

edit: They've suddenly started working correctly now. I fired up an old game which had a speaker test and the volume coming out is the same now. Music sound like it should, too Definitely an improvement over how it was 10 minutes ago. Should I worried about this? Is this just a part of the burn-in process?

Thanks!

This is a rather common problem with EPH-100, (always the right side), it was only a month or two ago I was in here repeating the same thing and it's well logged in the thread. Some members pairs are fine while others went through several pairs. We had thoughts that condensation or sweat was shorting out the wiring, therefore when they dry the signal comes back. Others found banging the right earpiece on a wooden table to cure the problem temporarily. The problem will continue to persist on/off, and you're best to return them under warranty . Unless you absolutely love the sound I suggest trying for refund and looking for something else. Just my opinion.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #3,604 of 4,690
This is a rather common problem with EPH-100, (always the right side), it was only a month or two ago I was in here repeating the same thing and it's well logged in the thread. Some members pairs are fine while others went through several pairs. We had thoughts that condensation or sweat was shorting out the wiring, therefore when they dry the signal comes back. Others found banging the right earpiece on a wooden table to cure the problem temporarily. The problem will continue to persist on/off, and you're best to return them under warranty . Unless you absolutely love the sound I suggest trying for refund and looking for something else. Just my opinion.

Thanks. I'll wait for another week and see what happens. Amazon has a 30 day return policy, so hopefully I'll be okay. Any suggestions for similarly priced headphones?

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #3,605 of 4,690
Thanks. I'll wait for another week and see what happens. Amazon has a 30 day return policy, so hopefully I'll be okay. Any suggestions for similarly priced headphones?

See how you go, I rather enjoyed EPH-100 personally, I would own another pair if I hadn't heard other gear. 
rolleyes.gif

After EPH-100 I jumped to VSonic GR07 MK2 (about $30 more) which is popular on Head-fi. Or you could possibly consider Sony XBA-3, Klipsch X10 for the same price as EPH-100. To be honest it's been a while since I've tinkered with IEM in this price range, hopefully some other members are keeping up to date with what's hot right now.

If you want to spend $200 then Dunu DN-1000 hybrid is my top choice for mid tier at the moment.

I will give you the GR07 thread to read, it's a true proven gem.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552132/vsonic-gr07-impressions-appreciation-thread

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3,606 of 4,690
I've had the EPH-100 and the XBA-30 and between the two I would pick the XBA-30 any day. Less bass impact but less bloat. Cleaner mids and better vocals. Highs are more detailed because the EPH-100 tends to over smoothen the highs. Soundstage is a little better as well. Take that with a little bit of salt cause it's been months since I've last heard the EPH, I sold mine because of the XBA-30 along with other similarly rated entry-level IEMs. 

The aesthetics goes to the EPH though, actually the reason I kept them for so long. Build quality is both top notch but I would give the edge to XBA-30 because of the reported EPH problems. I personally never had these problems, hopefully the member I sold them to hasn't either. Stress reliefs are good in both but the 30 has a better cable. The EPH's cable had a lot of memory to it which was annoying. Both are equally microphonic but it wasn't too bad. Comfort would also go to the XBA-30. More consistency with the fit, albeit fitted with Klipsch tips, and better overall comfort. 

I recently broke the jack of the XBA-30 though so I haven't had the pleasure of listening to them. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #3,608 of 4,690

How is the bass on the Dunu DN-1000 compared to the EPH-100 and the GR07 MK2?

Hi Alberto,

DN-1000 low end is more sub-bass focused. With a correct source that doesn't exhibit any low end roll-off is quite powerful, probably more so than EPH-100 and GRO7 (MK2), a little more forward. it also shows nice texture and clarity though not quite up to the standard of T-Peos H-200 dynamic driver. While the Dunu low end has good impact it loses out in speed to probably both GR07 and EPH-100, just missing a touch of snap holding longer decay. Still, being a hybrid you get a nice sensation of the dynamic drivers bass while the mids and treble shine through from the balanced armatures.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #3,609 of 4,690
Damn. It's been working pretty good so far and I like the way music sounds out of these and how they fit. I looked up the Sony XBA3 And they seem good
too. I'd rather stick with what I have but the possibility of the issue resurfacing is worrying me too much. i'll return these and get the Sony ones in a week.

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #3,610 of 4,690
I'm pretty sure they have a one year warranty, so if they do break within that time I'd return them then, you could probably get away with keeping them a little longer for now though.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #3,612 of 4,690
That's too bad. I myself are on my third pair of EPH100s, they don't have the greatest reliablity but the sound is intoxicating

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #3,613 of 4,690

The HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 might be an option for you. I have the EPH-100 and bought the Wooduo 2 more or less on a whim looking for a serious bass monster (curious about what a "bass monster" would sound like). However, I was very, very pleasantly surprised what a great all-rounder the Wooduo 2 was, and not a bass moster, although very serious about its bass. I do have some TOTL IEMs such as the FitEar ToGo 334, Etymotic Research ER-4 (S- and P-versions), AKG K3003, EarSonics EM6 (CIEM), but in the price range the Wooduo 2 is my pick. If you're interested you can read my short Wooduo 2 review here.

Good luck with you choice and please keep us updated!

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3,614 of 4,690
Hi guys, I'm looking to replace my now aging Shure SE530 and am interested in these Yammies. I'm a bit concerned about the comments of people saying they sometimes lose sound on the right side. Do you think this is really common, or does it just seem that way as dissatisfied people are more likely to come complain on here? Otherwise, what else would be similar to these Yammies if the general recommendation is to avoid these because of the QC issues?

FYI, yes I'm taking a big step down in budget from the SE530 to the Yammie (if I go for them), but that's because I really don't want to spend that much on an IEM anymore, as I now also have a pair of very good headphones (the Sony 7520, highly recommended by the way).

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #3,615 of 4,690
  Hi guys, I'm looking to replace my now aging Shure SE530 and am interested in these Yammies. I'm a bit concerned about the comments of people saying they sometimes lose sound on the right side. Do you think this is really common, or does it just seem that way as dissatisfied people are more likely to come complain on here? Otherwise, what else would be similar to these Yammies if the general recommendation is to avoid these because of the QC issues?

FYI, yes I'm taking a big step down in budget from the SE530 to the Yammie (if I go for them), but that's because I really don't want to spend that much on an IEM anymore, as I now also have a pair of very good headphones (the Sony 7520, highly recommended by the way).

Thanks!

I have gone through a handful of IEMs and the EPH-100s were the only ones that buckled on me.  Like others noted, the moisture seems to cause distortion or shorts in the right monitor. Both monitors collected moisture.

If you listen for short (<1 hour) sessions with hours between sessions, it may not pose a problem...but if regular listening to the IEMs is what would kill them, well, it doesn't feel reliable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back