Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #721 of 4,690
Ok, wanna talk about productivity? Telling a person they're being defensive (especially along with sarcastic comments like "Welcome to the free economy" and saying you were "amused" by my comment) is about the most inflammatory thing you can do if someone IS being defensive 
wink_face.gif
 so count your stones before you go casting them.

My beef was that his comment was not constructive; he is free to say whatever he likes, but it's still not constructive.

The whole topic is getting derailed by this though so we should probably all chillax.

Quote:
@Gilly
You're buying them because you want them and he's selling them because he doesn't or wants money. Welcome to the free economy. Just as all the other people can ooze love for them out of every pore, he was every right to say he dislikes them for any reason and no reason. He is under absolutely no obligation to you or anyone else to explain why. 

Maybe instead of attacking his comment, which I was amused by for the record, and would have been just as amused by if it was about a headphone I loved, no one asked him why he disliked them or was selling them and instead just started complaining and,as someone said before, getting very defensive. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #722 of 4,690

Quote:
Hey Shane, how would you compare them to the Atrios?

Aesthetically they look better than the Atrios but I would guess durability would be similar, even though the Yamahas are metal and the Atrios plastic (very heavy duty plastic).  Atrios have a better/more supple cable but there is nothing wrong with the Yamaha cable, just not as soft and pliable.  Isolation is similar as both are sealed, which is very good isolation.

Sound wise I didn't spend much time comparing but the Yamaha's can't compete in sub bass extension and rumble but then what can really compete with the Atrio here?  The Atrios have a very thick note and while the Yamaha's don't have a thin or lean note, it isn't as thick and gives a better sense of clarity.  I greatly prefer the Atrio treble presentation, as it is more life like but neither are fatiguing.  Neither have wide soundstages IMO and both have good depth but I think the Atrios are deeper with better dynamics.  The Yamaha's have better instrument separation, while the Atrios sound more organic and coherent.  Both have darker, easy to listen to presentations.

All in all, I greatly prefer the Atrios for my preferences.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #723 of 4,690

Quote:
Your English is impeccable 
biggrin.gif
 Sorry...

Anyway, I agree with your points, especially the first.

eheheh....sorry but English is not my language, haven't anyone to teach me.
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #724 of 4,690
Shane how would you compare the midrange of the two?

Quote:
Aesthetically they look better than the Atrios but I would guess durability would be similar, even though the Yamahas are metal and the Atrios plastic (very heavy duty plastic).  Atrios have a better/more supple cable but there is nothing wrong with the Yamaha cable, just not as soft and pliable.  Isolation is similar as both are sealed, which is very good isolation.

Sound wise I didn't spend much time comparing but the Yamaha's can't compete in sub bass extension and rumble but then what can really compete with the Atrio here?  The Atrios have a very thick note and while the Yamaha's don't have a thin or lean note, it isn't as thick and gives a better sense of clarity.  I greatly prefer the Atrio treble presentation, as it is more life like but neither are fatiguing.  Neither have wide soundstages IMO and both have good depth but I think the Atrios are deeper with better dynamics.  The Yamaha's have better instrument separation, while the Atrios sound more organic and coherent.  Both have darker, easy to listen to presentations.

All in all, I greatly prefer the Atrios for my preferences.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #725 of 4,690

Quote:
Shane how would you compare the midrange of the two?

The Atrios have a U shaped sig and while I do not think their midrange is recessed, it certainly isn't forward either.  It is also on the drier side.  The Yamaha's have more focus on the midrange in contrast, and while I wouldn't describe it as liquid, it certainly isn't on the dry side.  So I'd say it puts a more focus on vocals than the Atrios.

Keep in mind my time with the Yamahas was very limited (I've already got them boxed up) and wouldn't want to try and put more detail to it than this unless I opened them back up to listen critically.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #726 of 4,690
Feb 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #728 of 4,690

Quote:
When I hear U shaped, I think exponential. Similarly, when I think V shaped, I think linear. Is this the right way to visual(audiolize?) the sound signature? Does the U mean that the mids are even more heavily recessed?

No, I find V shaped signatures to have more recessed vocals and guitars, since the mid bass and lower treble are close to the V it accentuates it to me.  U shapes are typically raised at the very ends of the spectrum and more linear throughout and IMO do not typically result in a recessed sounding midrange, or at least as much as a V shape.  At least this has been my experience and the way I'd define the two.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #729 of 4,690

Quote:
No, I find V shaped signatures to have more recessed vocals and guitars, since the mid bass and lower treble are close to the V it accentuates it to me.  U shapes are typically raised at the very ends of the spectrum and more linear throughout and IMO do not typically result in a recessed sounding midrange, or at least as much as a V shape.  At least this has been my experience and the way I'd define the two.

Ok, thank you. This explains why I've always been confused with the "U shaped" signatures. There really should be a better way to describe that lol. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #730 of 4,690
Calm down people. It's your money and choice - whether to buy, sell, like or dislike it. You are the ONLY one who deserves to be credited for a great buy or blamed for falling short of expectations.

I bought 4 phones in the last month and the Yama is the only one that fell short of my expectation. I felt ripped off with the build quality (not the sound quality). Although my son has not probably been careful handling it, it just felt cheap stuff with low build quality I as stated a few times on this thread. As for the sound, the treble bothers me a lot even though I am not an audiophile with trained ears.

What I am surprised is for a pair of IEM's of this build quality, I didn't see people complaining or questioning about it with so many seasoned audiophiles around here.

No offense to anybody. It's just a pair of IEM's.

Cheers

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #731 of 4,690
Fair enough. Can't wait to hear them for myself :)

Quote:
The Atrios have a U shaped sig and while I do not think their midrange is recessed, it certainly isn't forward either.  It is also on the drier side.  The Yamaha's have more focus on the midrange in contrast, and while I wouldn't describe it as liquid, it certainly isn't on the dry side.  So I'd say it puts a more focus on vocals than the Atrios.

Keep in mind my time with the Yamahas was very limited (I've already got them boxed up) and wouldn't want to try and put more detail to it than this unless I opened them back up to listen critically.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #732 of 4,690
What Atrios are you guys talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I am surprised is for a pair of IEM's of this build quality, I didn't see people complaining or questioning about it with so many seasoned audiophiles around here.

No offense to anybody. It's just a pair of IEM's.

Cheers

Build quality is excelent. As is sound quality
wink_face.gif

But thats it, just a pair of (one of my best sounding) IEM's.

Cheers.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #734 of 4,690
Someone mentioned that these create a vacuum seal due to no venting (I may have read wrong), but don't they have vents, in the middle of the body right next to the R/L marking and on the opposite side?

And while I agree that the isolation is pretty good, it is nothing compared to the Monster Trumpet with the "super" tips, as I've mentioned earlier, with those in you literally cannot hear crap (no music playing), as in if you were to stick your fingers firmly in your ears. That is why I am interested in those tips, as for me, riding the NYC subway everyday: any additional isolation is a plus, for others it may be a bit much.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #735 of 4,690
I think they are vent.

Quote:

[size=1.23em] Product Description[/size]

The EPH-100 in ear headphones are the result of Yamahaas desire to enable you to hear not only clear music, but the sounds of the performeras breathing or the bassistas plucking of the strings, and even the emotions the artist put into the music. These new-concept headphones use a 6mm (1/4a) diameter super-compact driver to deliver the sound to your ears in pure form. Superb tuning only possible from Yamaha with its long musical instrument and audio experience reproduces every minute detail. With the EPH-100, youall fall in love with your favorite music all over again. The body is formed of precision-shaped aluminum with a finish that is resistant to scratching and corrosion. The design, texture and detailed workmanship convey the sense of luxury of a high quality product. The EPH-100 features a 6mm (1/4a) diameter super-compact driver that can be inserted straighter and closer to the eardrum than ordinary earphones. This allows you to hear pure, low-distortion sound without unwanted sound reflections. You enjoy natural, accurate reproduction with all sound sources. The earpad has a two-part flange; the first part smoothly guides the driver into the ear, and the second fixes the earpad firmly in your ear. Tightly sealed for minimal sound leakage, it lets you enjoy powerful bass sound. The snug fit ensures optimal comfort. You can choose from among five earpad sizes to suit your ear size and preference, ensuring maximum comfort as you enjoy your music. The body is made of high quality aluminum, exceptionally light and hard, it provides a good feel while helping to minimize sound loss. Air outlet holes in the driver unit and exterior adjust sound quality and provide optimum sound emission with sharp definition. When carrying the headphones in your bag or pocket, they are firmly attached to the base of the plug. The smart cable holder prevents tangling so the cable can be smoothly taken out and used. In addition, the cable is made of elastomer material that resists kin

here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back