Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 4, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #632 of 4,690
Bass need to settle down, r-trix. And that takes about 200 hours, trust me. It will become tighter, more controlled and then all sounds better and on the right place. But even at 100 hours they outperform the GR-07's and make them sound somewhat "dry". Give them the time and let me know then ; )

Anyways you may prefer a less bass-heavy phone, but just give them 100 hours, then A/B them, then another 100 hours and A/B them again. Then final veredict. Will be looking forward for your next comparison
wink_face.gif

P.S. Bass is somewhat uncontrolled at the beginning and that overlaps the rest of the frequency spectrum (also more boomy, less tighter). The most noticeable change after the 200 hours is definitely bass.

Cheers,
miow

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #634 of 4,690
lol talk about overkill, then again I'm not one of those burn-in 'believers'. Compared a stock dynamic (Xcape v1/EX600/GR07) to a burned-in one 3 times, almost no difference, it's very slight. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #635 of 4,690

Quote:
How goes EPH amp?

Very good, but having the right kind of amp obviously makes a difference.

I use mine with my sansa fuze and p4 warbler, and to me it's a perfect match. Wider soundstage with more detail in the upper range, vocals don't differ much but the sound is much more liquid to my ears, treble is a bit more prominent as well. It just takes everything that makes the yamahas so good and really improves on it.

I 'might' roll the op amps at some point, if to just peak the treble and tighten the bass a bit.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #636 of 4,690
     Quote:
lol talk about overkill, then again I'm not one of those burn-in 'believers'. Compared a stock dynamic (Xcape v1/EX600/GR07) to a burned-in one 3 times, almost no difference, it's very slight.

The sufficient to allow me to enjoy fado and jazz now with the EPH's, unlike before. I was not a believer too, but now I am. lol.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #637 of 4,690
Quote:

lol, me neither. I've never noticed any change after the first few hours. But funny you mentioned the EX600, my pair's highs sounded harsh like the Hippo VBs out-of-box and calmed down over a few hours. Probably the most distinctive change I've ever experienced.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #639 of 4,690
Hey guys, just joined the forum because I've been following this topic and wanted to add my own 2 cents. I have a set of GR07 as well as the eph-100's that I just received 3 days ago. 

I'll be straight up with the fact that I don't think either is better than the other. They certainly have quite different sound signatures so I'll just give you my opinion based on a quick a/b with the GR07

Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes - reference track

Eph-100 - first thing I notice is the bass seems surround me and to my ears it's actually a bit too powerful however I am adjusting from a year with the GR07. The Mids are well presented but sometimes I find it hard to focus on them because the bass seems almost overbearing. Treble is nice and crisp but to be honest I can only compare them with the GR07 so to all of you guys coming from BA drivers there's probably a difference. The drums also don't seem to have the dynamics that the GR07 can portray.

I find that the depth of the soundstage almost makes the sound congested but that's just my personal finding. 

GR07 - Coming from the Yammies, these feel almost thin but within 30 seconds my ears readjust. The first thing I notice is that I'm much more able to focus on the layers in the music because the bass is much more lean. The drums also sound more dynamic and accents in the rhythms are much more prominent. The whole sound is tighter and more controlled but not as full as the Yamahas. Bass texture seems on par but less quantity (which means it's gonna be down to personal preference). To my ear the Yamahas mids may actually be a bit more forward especially at the upper end. Gr07 has a much more exciting treble in my opinion although this doesn't mean it necessarily better. The GR07 lets how hear cymbals with utmost clarity whilst with the yamahas they're still very audible but with less focus.

Overall I think they are both quite smooth IEMs. The GR07 is more glassy (that's just the first word that comes to mind when I listen to them). They are very detailed and provide very crisp dynamics. The Yamahas are more smooth like molasses (a bit slower and fuller)

I don't honestly think you could go wrong with either. The Vsonics have a much nicer cord, but the Yamahas have better isolation for sure. My personal preference as of right now would be the GR07 but I listen to lots of jazz which I like to be fairly light on bass. (btw i've put about 30 hours of burn in just for sake of argument)

Anyway, thanks for all your reviews of these. Because of this thread I just had to pick up a pair and try these. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #640 of 4,690
nice comparison, dm125. Welcome to head-fi
beerchug.gif

Give them more time for bass to settle down, it needs it. You'll notice it becoming tighter and more controlled, which helps alot on jazz and accentuates the differences for the GR-07's.

For eg, it was impossible to listen to Mariza - Terra (fado) before, due to uncontrolled bass. It was horrible and I thought I couldn't ever listen to Mariza with these IEMs. Now (after 200 hours) it's perfect. Bass has changed this much.

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #641 of 4,690
Thanks miow. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in "Burn-in" but I will keep trying and be sure to let you as well as everyone else know if they do change. I'm definitely happy with both of these IEM's and I do think that they are quite complementary but If only the yamaha had the cable from the GR07 I'd be psyched.

**edit - I definitely don't miss the Sibilance I experience with the GR07

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #645 of 4,690

Quote:
I wasn't a firm believer too ; )

I believe miracle
wink_face.gif

hate + burn-in = love

Edit: This s^^^ sure looks like a toy IEM if you just feel the cable (by now some of you have already expressed your love for the GR07 cable). Take a look at my son's below. After only a couple of weeks, there are lots of dents shown on the housing and the brand name Yama is already hard to identify. Yeah blame on my son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back