Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 22, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #4,441 of 4,690
  Just to add some insult to the injury:

I got a pair of these fantastic sounding IEMs years ago. I used them exclusively for the gym, so they took tons of sweating; they never missed a beat (I always cleaned them with a towel and stored them on a zip pouch with silica gel after each use).

I dropped from the gym for about a year, using them only occasionaly as my computer IEMs. No sweating, no anything, but I started to notice a volume unbalance.

I last used them about a month ago, I left them (as is, no pouch, just left alone on a drawer) now just tried to use them and low and behold... left earbud has the dread "Humidity Killed the Volume" syndrome I have never experienced before.

Have stored them on a tupperware full with rice hoping to recover them, but I think the lesson to be learnt is maybe the material used on these IEMs drivers is hydrophilic, so to keep them from the HKV syndrome they should always be stored on an air-tight container or zip pouch with silica gel.

Thats weird, mine has always been thrown about from pocket to pocket without a pouch and never experienced any volume issues...

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #4,442 of 4,690
Hi everyone

So I've owned a pair of these for three years and after having my right side go quiet two times it's now completely silent.  I've been using compressed air to blow out the ear wax build-up in the grills but it has failed to fix them this time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  It seems my only option would be disassembling them but I searched google and this thread and it seems no one has done that - apart from removing the grill.  I was also thinking maybe I could soak them in rubbing alcohol or hot water to break up the ear wax but I'm not sure if that would damage them.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,443 of 4,690
  Hi everyone

So I've owned a pair of these for three years and after having my right side go quiet two times it's now completely silent.  I've been using compressed air to blow out the ear wax build-up in the grills but it has failed to fix them this time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  It seems my only option would be disassembling them but I searched google and this thread and it seems no one has done that - apart from removing the grill.  I was also thinking maybe I could soak them in rubbing alcohol or hot water to break up the ear wax but I'm not sure if that would damage them.

That sounds like just about the worst thing you could do, I reckon. I can only imagine it pushing the wax deeper in, towards the driver. I would recommend soaking them in alcohol for a few minutes while swishing them around, then letting them sit near a heat source (not too hot to touch, though) for an hour or so. I definitely wouldn't use water.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #4,444 of 4,690
Thats weird, mine has always been thrown about from pocket to pocket without a pouch and never experienced any volume issues...

Back in the day when EPH-100 was in its height of popularity several users were experienceing moisture or condensation problems, where one side would lose volume partially, it would come back by bashing the IEM on a table or blowing on them.

Probably going back about mid 2013. Many of us are all scattered throughout the pages during our ownership. Probably find some amusing posts if you get bored one day and read the thread back to back.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #4,445 of 4,690
Back in the day when EPH-100 was in its height of popularity several users were experienceing moisture or condensation problems, where one side would lose volume partially, it would come back by bashing the IEM on a table or blowing on them.

Probably going back about mid 2013. Many of us are all scattered throughout the pages during our ownership. Probably find some amusing posts if you get bored one day and read the thread back to back.

Hahah yeah I've read through a lot of this thread in the past few years, still didint change my view on the Yams. They are just awesome!

I've owned 2 pairs, the first ones never suffered from the volume issue. However it did happen to the second pair a couple of times.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #4,447 of 4,690
I just got my pair today. But somehow the isolation is not as good as my se215 and it sounded a bit harsh.... any ideas on how to solve this?

Sounds like you're not getting a proper seal.

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #4,449 of 4,690
i suppose so, but none of the tips are fitting for me

That's weird, the shape of them is a bit weird but the ML tips are the ones that fit perfectly.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #4,451 of 4,690
Hello. I am new to this Head-Fi forum and I am seriously consider purchasing Yamaha EPH -100. Does anyone can give me sound sig difference between Yamaha EPH-100 and Sony XBA H1? I own Sony XBA H1 and I love it. I found that it has mellow tone with emphasis on bass and have good soundstage & separation (for me at least :) ) I mainly listen Accoustic, Electronic, Pop and Rock. How does Yamaha EPH-100 sounds on Accoustic, Electronic, Pop, Rock and Female vocal comparing with Sony XBA H1? Any idea would be greatly appreciated. Thank you......

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #4,453 of 4,690

That sounds like just about the worst thing you could do, I reckon. I can only imagine it pushing the wax deeper in, towards the driver. I would recommend soaking them in alcohol for a few minutes while swishing them around, then letting them sit near a heat source (not too hot to touch, though) for an hour or so. I definitely wouldn't use water.

Yeah, definitely not the best idea but nothing else was working for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Why don't you recommend water?  I was thinking soaking them in warm water for a longer period would loosen or dissolve the wax better where soaking for a long period with alcohol might damage the driver material but I don't really know.  I understand I would have to let them dry out for a longer period.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #4,454 of 4,690

Yeah, definitely not the best idea but nothing else was working for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Why don't you recommend water?  I was thinking soaking them in warm water for a longer period would loosen or dissolve the wax better where soaking for a long period with alcohol might damage the driver material but I don't really know.  I understand I would have to let them dry out for a longer period.

I wouldn't use water because it can short the electronics out and takes a long time to evaporate (especially inside small electronics) and could very well rust before evaporating. Alcohol is more astringent and capable of removing gunk and it evaporates thoroughly in minutes.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #4,455 of 4,690
its flimsy but its all double flanges

I am sorry to say this, but that is likely yours is fake. I had talked and discovered about this matter in 2014 where a guy got a yamaha eph-100 on a bag, without package, and the eartips were all flimsy.

Did yours come in a package or a plastic bag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back