Y'all are crazy...
Jan 10, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #46 of 75
Woah, woah, woah. What the hell happened around here?? This thread just puked all over itself...

I don't have a Hornet. I have a Tomahawk.

The Tomahawk is not my main amplifier. My Keces DA-152 is my main amplifier.

The DA-152 is not the only amplifier I have owned. My past amps are listed in my profile.

I've owned both tube and ss amps, and have used both on the HD-600.

I realize that proper amplification is more than just "volume". I'm not completely ignorant.

My point (which has been misunderstood, evidently) is that I expected the HD-600 to be quite underpowered through the Tomahawk (i.e. not enough punch, too small of a soundstage, reduced frequency response, etc.). This was not the case.

My observations in the OP are based on experience, not ignorance getting the best of me.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #47 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what you mean about the link between my Heed and the op's Hornet, especially since I had them both at the same time, and they're not really similar at all.

I agree that the Canamp doesn't drive the 600s with authority, and I never said it did, though it made for a nice bedroom rig at the time due to size, and it definitely did a better job with the 600s than the Hornet. I also used to listen to the HD600s with a LaRocco PRII, which was enjoyable, but certainly not optimal. As I mentioned in this thread earlier, we all make compromises for a variety of reasons at different times, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just think it's important to remember that we're posting for others to read, and to say things like a portable drives the 600s with authority is misleading, especially if you've heard the 600s actually be driven with authority.

No I'm letting you know where his desktop amp falls relative to your own gear. There was some questioning of his current desktop amp being able to drive the HD600s.

I'm not having a go at you
frown.gif
Wahaha

EDIT: Oh I think I threw you off when I said, "there's the link between your bedroom amp and the OP's amp". Replace link with comparison.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #48 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really are ignorant.How could me reiterating information stated from other people in their reviews and my partial opinion on amps be false,or wrong.It's called OPINION.You don't have to agree.But you shouldn't say we are wrong.Are you that close minded and dense that someone's opinion and/or statement threatens you.And you feel the need to correct them.Get a life!And get it right.I said SIMILAR.

Does repeating something that is wrong somehow make it right? If I quote someone who thinks that 2+2=5 mean that the sum becomes 5? Just who are these reviewers you are referring to and which amps - specifically - are you talking about?

Your opinion seems entirely based on supposition and speculation that you've read. You don't have any firsthand knowledge, do you?

Not all opinions are equal, either. The opinion of someone who is inexperienced and/or ignorant is still inexperienced and ignorant. Being an opinion does not automatically give it the same weight as all other opinions. If that were true, then people could just make stuff up and pretend that it is every bit as valid as anything else. Things don't work that way.

If you want to actually understand what is going on, I suggest building an amp. You'll learn a lot, not the least of which is why you are wrong.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #49 of 75
Quote:

You really are ignorant.How could me reiterating information stated from other people in their reviews and my partial opinion on amps be false,or wrong.It's called OPINION.You don't have to agree.But you shouldn't say we are wrong.Are you that close minded that someone's opinion and/or statement threatens you.And you feel the need to correct them.Get a life!And get it right.I said SIMILAR.

Opinions don't threaten me. Misleading information threatens the quality of this forum, and that concerns me. Sure, everything everyone says is an opinion, but the truth is that some opinions are more informed than others and all opinions aren't equal. You're posting opinions about gear you've clearly never heard and stating them as if they're true:

Quote:

"Portables" are not what they used to be.You can get tube like sound from "portables" now.And Opamp rolling proves that even more.

This is how a forum goes down hill. You picked up misleading information, and because you have no frame of reference by which to judge its accuracy, you accepted it as fact, and then start posting it as if you actually knew something about what you're saying, though lord knows why, since it's instantaneously obvious to someone who has heard these things, that you haven't heard these things at all. Other people, who also have no frame of reference then read your post as if it were true, and then start quoting that. It's garbage.

Yes, I'm scolding you because your posts in this thread deserve it. I'm also going to tell you to knock of the name calling now. That's another way folks degrade this forum, and even if you don't care about it, I and many other members do.

EDIT: I see Uncle Erik beat me to posting the same thoughts as I was typing. Touche.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #51 of 75
Aaah, you gotta love Head-Fi. Or not.
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, how many involved in the flamefest that comprised the last 3 or so pages of this thread even *read* TopPop's OP ? In many ways, this thread didn't even have a whole lot to do with *portable* amps, per se.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #52 of 75
I read TopPop's opening post, and though I like that he posting from his experience, this thread seemed very much about portable amps, though I did get it wrong, and thought Hornet, when it was a Tomahawk. I actually like that he enjoyed his 600s with it, but I do take exception with his "drives with authority" comment, which is what actually got me posting in the first place. Maybe we just have very different ideas of what that means, but I think it would be a shame if people saw that comment and then though the Tomahawk was actually a great choice for the HD600s. I'm pretty sure Ray would agree. Enjoyment is one thing, and posting about it is fine, but like I said earlier, people who've never heard the 600s or the Tomahawk may now think, based on the opening post, that it's a great combo, when there are actually so many better choice around.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #53 of 75
Quote:

I read TopPop's opening post, and though I like that he posting from his experience, this thread seemed very much about portable amps, though I did get it wrong, and thought Hornet, when it was a Tomahawk. I actually like that he enjoyed his 600s with it, but I do take exception with his "drives with authority" comment, which is what actually got me posting in the first place. Maybe we just have very different ideas of what that means, but I think it would be a shame if people saw that comment and then though the Tomahawk was actually a great choice for the HD600s. I'm pretty sure Ray would agree. Enjoyment is one thing, and posting about it is fine, but like I said earlier, people who've never heard the 600s or the Tomahawk may now think, based on the opening post, that it's a great combo, when there are actually so many better choice around.

And from reading the vast majority of posts written on Head-Fi, they may, instead, dismiss a portable amp such as the Tomahawk because they assume that it is lacking in power and control over the drivers to such a severe degree that the result will be an assault on the ears... which is what got me posting in the first place, since this is far from the actual case.

But thank you for your clarity and composed nature.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #54 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And from reading the vast majority of posts written on Head-Fi, they may, instead, dismiss a portable amp such as the Tomahawk because they assume that it is lacking in power and control over the drivers to such a severe degree that the result will be an assault on the ears...

So maybe there can now be a realistic discussion, rather than having one untrue extreme be pitted against an opposing untrue extreme. That's at least something I'd like to see.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #55 of 75
Quote:

Opinions don't threaten me. Misleading information threatens the quality of this forum, and that concerns me. Sure, everything everyone says is an opinion, but the truth is that some opinions are more informed than others and all opinions aren't equal. You're posting opinions about gear you've clearly never heard and stating them as if they're true:

This is how a forum goes down hill. You picked up misleading information, and because you have no frame of reference by which to judge its accuracy, you accepted it as fact, and then start posting it as if you actually knew something about what you're saying, though lord knows why, since it's instantaneously obvious to someone who has heard these things, that you haven't heard these things at all. Other people, who also have no frame of reference then read your post as if it were true, and then start quoting that. It's garbage.

Yes, I'm scolding you because your posts in this thread deserve it. I'm also going to tell you to knock of the name calling now. That's another way folks degrade this forum, and even if you don't care about it, I and many other members do.

EDIT: I see Uncle Erik beat me to posting the same thoughts as I was typing. Touche.

Again. you either can't read or are just a guy who thinks he knows it all.I think both.I never said portables sound like tube amps.I said they can have tube LIKE sound.Tube like characteristics.Never said they can sound exactly like tubes.Maybe i worded it incorrectly for condescending guys like yourself who love to jump on something and correct it and insult people and assume that i have no experience listening to hi end equipment.I've heard very expensive tube based home hifi systems that would make you giggle like the bitch your portraying.Don't assume something because i haven't worded something to your liking.Learn to be courteous and maybe give the benefit of doubt.Don't jump to conclusions because i don't have thousands of posts like you.Be helpful and don't patronize and maybe you won't be considered the A hole i think you are.And you can take note to Uncle eric.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #56 of 75
Correction: It would be a "gal that thinks she knows it all". Except, it's not just a matter of "thinking" she knows a thing or two; from what I've read, boomana knows her stuff, period.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #57 of 75
Happy to hear that you enjoy the HD600 and Tomahawk combo.
Regardless if you think we are crazy or not.

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

people could also visit the Ray Samuels website where Ray definitely states the Tomahawk is designed specifically for IEMs. O and I drive a pair of 250 ohm Beyer 880s with my TOmahawk. They don't sound as "full" as driving with a tube amp but they do alright for awhile. THe Tomahawk works just fine with my Etys though. Guess certain amps are designed for certain applications--but often they are satisfactory out of those boundaries

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #59 of 75
This type of discussion has been had here and other places many times. At the end of the day one group of people will state that portable amps can drive full size cans satisfactorily while another group of people totally opposes this idea and believes only a full size home amp can drive the full size cans.

Honestly this gets old because neither group changes their opinion and simply stands their ground or at worst tries to push their opinion unto others. This thread is not achieving anything and should be closed.

BTW, FWIW I believe that a full size dynamic headphone (not including 600 ohm or higher, nor the K1000, nor the K340) can be satisfactorily driven by many portable amps.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #60 of 75
The Tomahawk probably sounds good with the 600 because i think the 600 is Rays favorite headphone and he tunes his amps with them.
It doesnt mean a portable will drive it optimally, but the tone will be balanced the way Ray likes it, and its still better than just using the portable dap alone.
And calm down people...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back