Y'all are crazy...
Dec 3, 2009 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Who says that high-impedance headphones can't be driven well by small portables??

Out of sheer curiosity, I just tried plugging my HD600 into my Tomahawk to see how well it would do. I was expecting nothing at all, really, even in high gain mode. This amp can drive the HD600 with authority, and with plenty room on the volume knob to spare at that! Bass is deep and without distortion; soundstage is pretty dang good, too. Midrange is fantastic. Granted, it's not quite as punchy as my DA-152, but it's very, very enjoyable.

Y'all are just plain nuts, yo. That's all I gotta say 'bout that.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 75
Thats great Pop, but I'm sure you realise that you arent exactly in Fiio territory with the Tomahawk : that amp did very well on both Skylab and HPAs listings of the top portables for a long time. One of the reasons that many here are guarded when recommending a portable for some fullsize cans is simply because we dont want another Head Fiers to be disappointed with the result. Based on what others are saying of the Shadow and the D4 (particularly the latter), the days of needing to offer such disclaimers could be on the wane.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 75
Have you tried the HD-600 on a good tube amp? I was able to get sound out of a portable with my HD-600, but it was a completely different headphone on a good tube amp.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 75
Just let him have fun with what he has. Music is in the ear of the beholder.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 75
You may be right about the crazy.

The "voices" in my head are commanding me to drive my Apogee Duettas with a 3-watt SET amp? (Ta-Ta-Ta-fizzzzzzzz)
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just let him have fun with what he has. Music is in the ear of the beholder.

x2

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be because you have never heard the 600s with a real powerful amp

I believe that my main amp is plenty powerful, yes.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 75
Ok, guess we are nuts.
Or simply do not have the same set of ears...

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the HD-600 on a good tube amp? I was able to get sound out of a portable with my HD-600, but it was a completely different headphone on a good tube amp.

Yes. I owned a Consonance Opera Cyber-10 for a while, which I used with the HD600. I believe my current SS amp outperforms it, though.

And of course, the difference between the Tomahawk and my DA-152 is not negligible... but all I'm saying is that portables are not necessarily the slouches that many may lead readers to believe.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 75
Oh, and by the way... the "crazy" thing was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I owned a Consonance Opera Cyber-10 for a while, which I used with the HD600. I believe my current SS amp outperforms it, though.

And of course, the difference between the Tomahawk and my DA-152 is not negligible... but all I'm saying is that portables are not necessarily the slouches that many may lead readers to believe.

You know that saying about how a "luxury once tasted becomes a necessity"?

Maybe I've just gotten spoiled.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #13 of 75
I think it is the fact that a lot of head-fiers easily buy into the preconceived notion that if you don't spend a **** load of money on an amplifier with all the bells and whistles then it can't be good enough to power an expensive headphone.Which is ignorant and closed minded.And not to mention overpaying for something you can get for half the price.
ph34r.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 75
HD600 isn't that hard to drive. My damn cellphone can get the job done - it just wouldn't have the fatiguing amount of impact it would get from my Compass amp, that's all. My Minibox-E+ does almost as good of a job while being more transparent, and my E5 lacks gain.

Quote:

Y'all are just plain nuts, yo. That's all I gotta say 'bout that.

1262436747234.jpg

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

This amp can drive the HD600 with authority, and with plenty room on the volume knob to spare at that!

This doesn't really have anythign to do with anything. But okay, good for you
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back