Y'all are crazy...
Jan 11, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #61 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesnt mean a portable will drive it optimally...

How do you feel about spending the same amount of money or less to drive the HD-600 optimally, or at least better?

Would you pay less money for better sound?

If less expensive and better sounding alternatives exist, why bother?

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #62 of 75
i know i am crazy...
but telling me that isn't going to cure me of this hobby
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you feel about spending the same amount of money or less to drive the HD-600 optimally, or at least better?

I drive my home phones with a Millet Starving Student being driven by an Alien Dac from my pc, most of the time. Or i use my Adcom PreAmp on my home stereo.
None of my phones are over 100 ohms, and the hardest one i have to drive is a MB Quart 55x, so i can actually get away with some portable amps for some of my phones.
My Grados dont need much to drive them. Yes they sound better on my Millet than on my portables, but theyre fine on just my Zune with no amp at all,also.

I dont look to spend as much money as i can. If i can spend cheaper and get better sound, i do.
My Millet was half the price of any of Rays portables, and will drive home phones better than any of Rays portables. The Millet is a decent amp for the money. A perfect starter tube amp.

I have a Realistic 2100D reciever that sounds better driving headphones than most headphone amps. The thing just has a great headphone output on it.
It cost me hardly anything.

Im not from the camp of, a portable can drive any phone optimally.
I realise a home amp will sound much better than a portable amp for fullsized home phones.
But, if you happen to have a portable amp, and do not own a home amp and youd like to use your fullsized phones, a portable amp will work better than just a portable music player for most home phones and is better than nothing.

It depends on what you can afford, what you need, and what works for you.

Im saving for a WooAudio 2 amp for use as a preamp for my home stereo, as well as my home headphone amp. I dont think ill have a problem driving any headphones that i would own, with that.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #64 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It functions how he wishes it to. People on Head-fi are constantly saying how people should not simply trust the fluff and raving. The OP has clearly stated that he knows that he gets better sound from his desktop, but he still enjoys the sound from the portable which is contrary to many oft-stated opinions on this forum. He has been brave enough to share his truthful opinion, and he has been blasted by mods and extremely well-respected and knowledgable members alike. This thread is much more appropriate for the kind of discussion that has been going on here.

I think that this thread has caused enough trouble and really isn't even relevant to the OP at all anymore, and I suggest that it would be a good idea to close it.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #65 of 75
so Boomana and Uncle Erik,from your experiances what tube amp will drive something like hd600,k701 to their full potential in the $300-500 price range?i want to pull the plunge on one but i dont know if their will be difference between tube amp and my micro amp which lies in the same price range(and it is not considered portable because it is AC powered).and how would i know if an amp portable or not drive the senns or akg to their full potential?i mean i read here alot that an amp is not driving a particular headphone to their full potential because there is no bass impact or the soundstage is narrow,which i dont find with my micro+k701,infact the soundstage is huge and the bass for me is sometimes a bit strong.how would i know?i appreciate anyone answering my questions here BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIANCE PLEASE,i dont like quoting others word.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #66 of 75
I like to apologize to the members of Head-Fi who had to read my "over the top" comments toward a member who was berating me.I guess we all can learn from this.To be courteous and helpful instead of criticizing and patronizing someone for comments/post.No matter how inconclusive or in-concise it may seem.Constructive criticism is fine as long is that it's done in a non belligerent and condescending manner.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #67 of 75
Welcome back, I'm glad to hear that you resolved your issue with Boomana.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #69 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so Boomana and Uncle Erik,from your experiances what tube amp will drive something like hd600,k701 to their full potential in the $300-500 price range?i want to pull the plunge on one but i dont know if their will be difference between tube amp and my micro amp which lies in the same price range(and it is not considered portable because it is AC powered).and how would i know if an amp portable or not drive the senns or akg to their full potential?i mean i read here alot that an amp is not driving a particular headphone to their full potential because there is no bass impact or the soundstage is narrow,which i dont find with my micro+k701,infact the soundstage is huge and the bass for me is sometimes a bit strong.how would i know?i appreciate anyone answering my questions here BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIANCE PLEASE,i dont like quoting others word.

anyone wanna answer my question?

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #70 of 75
I would like to formally apologize to Boomana.I did overreact with my comments.And i don't want any animosity between me and other members.Were all here to share our enjoyment of this hobby.
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #71 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were all here to share our enjoyment of this hobby.
beerchug.gif

I'm not.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #72 of 75
me neither, its mine; aaaall mine...muhuhahahahaaaaa

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #73 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woah, woah, woah. What the hell happened around here?? This thread just puked all over itself...

No kidding, all you said was that you felt the 600's could powered to a satisfactory level on a very nice portable. You even said it was no replacement for a dedicated amp, but still...
Sometimes people just like to hear themselves talk. Bless the internet.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Driving a headphone well isn't just about volume. I'm too frustrated to post about this in detail for the 1000th time, but just because you're hearing it loudly doesn't mean you're hearing the music as the 600s are cable of revealing.

Loudness doesn't = sound quality. That's only the beginning.

Total agree. I don't understand, even some audiophiles still confused on this matter.

I just have an argument on the relationship between sound vlome (loudness) and sound quality on other thread.

As to the portable amp pairing full size phones, I think excep the power hungrey phones, (such as DT 880),the power of most portable amps can have adequate power to boost them. as for it is distortion or not it is depend on the specify amp capability.

The more you listhen music, the more lower louder you prefer. at least this is my experience. I have reduce the 30% volume with the enjoyable loud than half year ago. I feel the related lower volume can make me more carefully and concentrate on the details.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #75 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until a couple days ago, I owned a pico, owned one and heard most RSA portables, and have heard the TTVJ portable a few times, the iQube and the Voyager. They all sound like good portable amps with slightly different flavors.

What does a tube amp sound like? I've owned three, heard dozens more, and they all sound different, depending on the tubes, the source, and the headphones. I don't know a single one I'd describe as having a tube sound because that really makes no sense, and to say any portable sounds like a tube amp (though there have been a couple portable/transportable tube amps) is just plain strange. I'm sorry, but you're talking nonsense.

I suppose, to someone, especially inexperienced one make a mistake that tube sound means decent sound. therefore when they describe the SS amp they really don't mean the sound signature "like " tube quality" but they mean it has the "good sound quality" as good tube amp has.

In fact, some amp maker misleading the general customers. they over hype the tube adantages than SS amp.

The truth is tube amp is easy to make with adequate good sound quality with lower price. while there are also a lot of SS amp with very perfect sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back