Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Feb 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #1,306 of 1,781
if the turntable doesn't have an amplifier you will not be able to get a usable signal. I doubt it will even register on a line level input. A cassette deck or TT with a preamp will output about 2.4 volts, possibly more if the units has output faders.

Whatever recording software you are using try and keep the input level between -6 and -3 dB to allow for peaking. This will give you enough headroom to apply any effects you may need to.
Are you planning on just copying these over and leaving them or do you want to do some work such as remove noise, bring up the levels...remove pops and clicks?

The input ADC on the ST is high enough quality to allow you to do this task and get good results.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #1,307 of 1,781
ROBSCIX

Is the Asus Xonar Essence ST/X warmer than the Xonar D1?

May I ask also how the lineout differs in sound from the headphone out?

(PS. Have you ever modded a Xonar D1?)

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #1,308 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROBSCIX

Is the Asus Xonar Essence ST/X warmer than the Xonar D1?

May I ask also how the lineout differs in sound from the headphone out?

(PS. Have you ever modded a Xonar D1?)

I have had a d2, d2x, stx and st (I still have an STX and ST (both with lme49720na opamps)

I dont think the Stx or st are warmer than the d2 or d2x. The trebble could be a bit bright/harsh on the d2/d2x. I thought this was also the case on the stx particularly with standard opamps. Warm as a term to me inferes coloration (I wouldn't describe the ST/STX as colored).

The ST is much more listenable to me and with the lme49720na is totally unfatiguing.

I couldn't listen to the standard STX for more than an hour without fatigue. I changed the opamps on the ST as soon as it arrived so I cant comment on unmodded ST.

I hope this helps

Macrog

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #1,310 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the turntable doesn't have an amplifier you will not be able to get a usable signal. I doubt it will even register on a line level input. A cassette deck or TT with a preamp will output about 2.4 volts, possibly more if the units has output faders.

Whatever recording software you are using try and keep the input level between -6 and -3 dB to allow for peaking. This will give you enough headroom to apply any effects you may need to.
Are you planning on just copying these over and leaving them or do you want to do some work such as remove noise, bring up the levels...remove pops and clicks?

The input ADC on the ST is high enough quality to allow you to do this task and get good results.

Thanks Rob, this is waaaay down the prioryt list atm.
When I get started I may 'chime-in' with a few brief questions.
I have this bookmarked
wink.gif
Thanks again!

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #1,312 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Rob, this is waaaay down the prioryt list atm.
When I get started I may 'chime-in' with a few brief questions.
I have this bookmarked
wink.gif
Thanks again!

I record music all the time and have been recording for many years now.
I have also converted old cassettes and LP's to digital copies and they take a bit of work if your planning on getting a track that sounds "similar" to something you would hear on a modern CD.
Back on topic...

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #1,317 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it is a good thing they are offering new drivers, soon?
smile.gif

I used Foobar with the Xonars and had no issue with them.
I wonder which card they are talking about?

Can't wait for these new drivers for my st,any idea how soon is soon?

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #1,319 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by freestyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are referring to the playback problem when GX is enabled (that some people report)

Why would you enable GX (gaming mode) for music?
That might do it though, depending on what API you were using for output.
I tested, KS, ASIO and DS on the ST/STX and had no issues.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #1,320 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marantz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait for these new drivers for my st,any idea how soon is soon?

Not sure. The (unreleased) beta seems reasonably stable and there is really no noticable differences unless you use ASIO for the output API in your player. Then the card goes to bit perfect auto sample rate mode and doesn't allow you to add effects, change the volume..etc. What you would expect to happen.
I will check and see what I can find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back