Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Feb 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #1,291 of 1,781
i've been reading this thread and feel kinda confused
smily_headphones1.gif

This card seems very interesting, but i would like to know two things:
1. How good is built-in amp? will it be sufficient for higher-ohm cans like HD650(300ohm) or DT880(250ohm)
2. does someone know how it compares to nuforce uDac?

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #1,292 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ADC on this card is quite good the specifications seem more then suitable for ripping some vinyl. To note, does your phono stage have a Pre-amp? If not then you will need to get one as the output of a turntable is way too low to be used with a line input. Some come with pre-amps built in and some do not.

While tha ADC is definately of sufficient quality great care must be taken as the input to these ADCs are sensitive to overload & easily damaged. A single needle drop my be all thats needed to blow out the ADC especially if your phono preamp has higher than usual output!!!!!!

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #1,294 of 1,781
Quote:

There seems to be mixed info on that, some say they are and then some say they are fine. I have never had issue when using them but I have never used anything that is over line level.

In my case I use a high output moving coil cartridge. If I use the moving magnet setting on my preamp the output is quite low, lower than really acceptable for recording, but if I use the moving coil setting the output is very high & could blow the ADC.

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #1,295 of 1,781
Quote:

The ADC on this card is quite good the specifications seem more then suitable for ripping some vinyl. To note, does your phono stage have a Pre-amp? If not then you will need to get one as the output of a turntable is way too low to be used with a line input. Some come with pre-amps built in and some do not.

Somehow I missed your reply Rob. My phonostage is a try phonostage, so it will have about 40dB gain for MM cartridges and RIAA correction. It's an AudioSector PCB. Not going crazy with the parts as I can't really stomach $400 for (4) output V-Caps, but I did go with almost the same BOM as the designer sans those V-Caps and will be using Panasonic or Wima box caps instead and VitQs for the lower value caps.

Output should be 2.0-2.2V so I appreciate the warning, but I think I'll be fine. Planning to buy a vintage Rega, Pioneer, or Denon TT and upgrade it to a highly modded Rega TB250 or TB251 tonearm and new DC or transcriptor motor. Current TT in teh console is a Pro-Ject 1.2 with Grado Green. Have a Grado Gold waiting for the new TT and I will eventually add a Zu Audio ZL103 cartridge and rework the phonostage to about 50dB gain to better match the modded Denon MC cartridge.

I have a great AudioSector NOS USB DAC and two Cavalli Audio headphone amps under construction, with a third in the wings, so I won't be using the headphone output on the Sonar. May eventually add the H6, then roll the op-amps for HT use. For me, it's all about the ADC and vinyl!
o2smile.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #1,296 of 1,781
Hello,
is there any info on a new revision of the STX to bring it to the STs level, eg adding the expansion header and the CS2000 chip? i'd probably buy the ST right now but i would really feel more comfortable to have a pcie card..oh well
smily_headphones1.gif

I've just sent an email to the german press contact at asus, but don't expect any positive answer, i guess..

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #1,297 of 1,781
No. However, there are a few that have changed the circuitry themselves. You cannot really add the H6 card without some serious modification although others have improved the timing circuit.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #1,298 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow I missed your reply Rob. My phonostage is a try phonostage, so it will have about 40dB gain for MM cartridges and RIAA correction. It's an AudioSector PCB. Not going crazy with the parts as I can't really stomach $400 for (4) output V-Caps, but I did go with almost the same BOM as the designer sans those V-Caps and will be using Panasonic or Wima box caps instead and VitQs for the lower value caps.

Output should be 2.0-2.2V so I appreciate the warning, but I think I'll be fine. Planning to buy a vintage Rega, Pioneer, or Denon TT and upgrade it to a highly modded Rega TB250 or TB251 tonearm and new DC or transcriptor motor. Current TT in teh console is a Pro-Ject 1.2 with Grado Green. Have a Grado Gold waiting for the new TT and I will eventually add a Zu Audio ZL103 cartridge and rework the phonostage to about 50dB gain to better match the modded Denon MC cartridge.

I have a great AudioSector NOS USB DAC and two Cavalli Audio headphone amps under construction, with a third in the wings, so I won't be using the headphone output on the Sonar. May eventually add the H6, then roll the op-amps for HT use. For me, it's all about the ADC and vinyl!
o2smile.gif

Heh,

I just realised I can use my ST to capture all our old LP's and Tapes!

I was looking at dedicated devices for that:
Griffin Technology: iMic - USB Audio Interface
ThinkGeek :: Electronics :: Digital Conversion

I may still need a phono pre-amp, I guess neither of these are good with the ST?
TerraTec Phono PreAmp iVinyl
Phono Preamp USB

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #1,299 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh,

I just realised I can use my ST to capture all our old LP's and Tapes!

I was looking at dedicated devices for that:
Griffin Technology: iMic - USB Audio Interface
ThinkGeek :: Electronics :: Digital Conversion

I may still need a phono pre-amp, I guess neither of these are good with the ST?
TerraTec Phono PreAmp iVinyl
Phono Preamp USB

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

The TerraTec iVinyl is a well received and reviewed pre-amp for capturing vinyl into the PC. Even Fremmer liked it and recommended it in Stereophile a couple years ago when it came out, but IIRC, it's a USB device and will essentially by-pass the need to use the Sonar's Line In.

I would avoid the other three items you linked. You can get a nice, low-cost TT pre-amp by AT for under US$100 at NeedleDoctor in the US. He has it on sale for $60 and it is all you would need with the TT and the Sonar XT. Depending on your tape deck, you probably will not need a pre-amp for it.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #1,301 of 1,781
Quote:

I would avoid the other three items you linked.

Including the other phono preamp?
It looks pretty good 'stats-wise' next to the TT

Quote:

You can get a nice, low-cost TT pre-amp by AT for under US$100 at NeedleDoctor in the US.

I'm one of those weird folk that comes from a land down-under
biggrin.gif

Who's AT, doesn't TT make the device?

Quote:

He has it on sale for $60 and it is all you would need with the TT and the Sonar XT.

You mean I use the USB TT I linked to + the ST?
But that doesn't make sense
confused_face(1).gif

How do I test whether our turntable and deck are at line-level?
Thanks everyone!

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #1,302 of 1,781
Quote:

Thanks everyone!

You can check on the back if they have a "spec" sticker. Line level is a bit over 2 volts. Some TT's have RIAA preamps built in and others do not.
If you conenct them to you card and you cannot get a reasonable signal they are not the proper level. If they have a preamp, you will have a high level signal coming in.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #1,303 of 1,781
Quote:

Including the other phono preamp?
It looks pretty good 'stats-wise' next to the TT

I'm one of those weird folk that comes from a land down-under
biggrin.gif

Who's AT, doesn't TT make the device?

You mean I use the USB TT I linked to + the ST?
But that doesn't make sense
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks everyone!

The Art brand is not a well made piece. The TerraTech iVinyl is a complete, integrated solution, it is a phonostage with RIAA correction and an ADC that converts the analog to digital, then to USB. So all you need is that setup and your turntable. The Sonar ST would only be your sound card and headphone amp. You would not use the Line Inputs of the ST to capture your records. You can use the Sonar ST to capture cassette tapes with a RCA-to-1/4" TRS cable.

But if you plan to buy or already have the Sonar ST, then you do not really need the iVinyl. A simple phonostage like the Audio Technica I mentioned before would work fine and it's hundreds of dollars less expensive:
Needle Doctor Phono Preamps, Phono Preamplifiers, and Stereo Phono Preamps 1-800-229-0644 AT-PEQ3 Phono Preamp

I don't know if Jerry ships to Oz or not though, but even if you had to pay $45 for US Priority Mail shipping, it's still a great buy and the Sonar ST / PEQ3 combo is about the same cost or cheaper than the iVinyl alone.

Using the PEQ3, you hook you turntable into the PEQ3 and then use that same RCA-to-1/4" TRS plug cable to connect the PEQ3 to the Sonar XT.

The caveat to the PEQ3 is that is for moving magnet (MM) cartridges only, not MC cartridges, but there are plenty of nice MM cartridges in the $100-$200 range if your were planning to upgrade.

As to whether your turntable has a preamp built in, well, most do not unless it is a newer, lower end unit. You can always post the make and model and we can let you know for sure.

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #1,304 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you plan to buy or already have the Sonar ST, then you do not really need the iVinyl. A simple phonostage like the Audio Technica I mentioned before would work fine and it's hundreds of dollars less expensive:
Needle Doctor Phono Preamps, Phono Preamplifiers, and Stereo Phono Preamps 1-800-229-0644 AT-PEQ3 Phono Preamp I don't know if Jerry ships to Oz or not though, but even if you had to pay $45 for US Priority Mail shipping, it's still a great buy and the Sonar ST / PEQ3 combo is about the same cost or cheaper than the iVinyl alone.

Thanks guys, yes I already do have the ST, so all I need is that RIAA preamp + an RCA-to-1/4" TRS cable, & I'm ready to capture Cassettes or LP's!
I'll do the check Rob suggested 1st to be sure I need a preamp...

Quote:

The caveat to the PEQ3 is that is for moving magnet (MM) cartridges only, not MC cartridges, but there are plenty of nice MM cartridges in the $100-$200 range if your were planning to upgrade.

Are you referring to audio cassettes? No idea what ours are...
Having moved around the world so much over the years, we don't have many left that's for sure!

Quote:

As to whether your turntable has a preamp built in, well, most do not unless it is a newer, lower end unit. You can always post the make and model and we can let you know for sure.

I'm sure it's at least 30yrs old, not sure if it's still actually working.
LOL, I'll have to check that first I guess!

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #1,305 of 1,781
Quote:

You can check on the back if they have a "spec" sticker. Line level is a bit over 2 volts. Some TT's have RIAA preamps built in and others do not.
If you conenct them to you card and you cannot get a reasonable signal they are not the proper level. If they have a preamp, you will have a high level signal coming in.

How can I tell that I've got a reasonable signal or a high level one?

Thank-you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back