Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Feb 23, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #1,321 of 1,781
BTW I hope I'm just really dumb and cant find the way to do it. But is there a way to enable dolby headphone through the line out, I already have my own amp and don't want to use the built in amp for obvious reasons.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #1,323 of 1,781
Hi all,
I'm new here and I am amazed about the great info you guys have gathered on the ST (and STX for that matter). Unfortunately the information is very disperse and I´ve been reading now for a few days in a row without really feeling I got my answers. Sometimes I feel overwhelemed and more confused.
confused_face(1).gif

I just recently bought the ST with H6 to set up my Home Cinema for 5.1. (sorry, I am not a Headphone listener). I plan to buy 4 Dynaudio 122 Audience standing speakers with a 122 Center and possibly a sub. Dynaudios are known for a very neutral but crystal clear sound with great staging. Also, I´d still like to use my High-End stereo audio equipment too (my 2 x 50W Class A pre and poweramp combo.
With all that I am very interested in modding the opamps on the ST and daughter board

Some questions I have:
1) I think I read here I will be able to use the stereo RCAs on the ST for the class A stereo pre-amp, while also having the 5.1 system connected on the H6 daughter board. Is that true?
2) Are there not any Class A opamps? (Sorry, if this is a stupid question, as I am not an Electrical Engineer) I guess I mean opamps with MOSFETS in stead of bipolar transistors which are known to have the crossover distortion issues giving rise to the less clear and warm sound compared to a Class A or Tube.
3) Is it correct that with any of the Audio-GDs you have to remove the shieldoff the ST?
4) The general consensus seems to be that the Audio-GD Earths should be used as the buffer. What is best for the I/Vs I couldn´t really make up, LMEs or also discrete?
5) Is it recommendable to use the same threesome on each of the H6 daighterboard´s channels? I guess so, if all the 5 speakers are the same for the purpose of making the surround sound truly uniformly surround.
6) has anyone found a good opamp combo for driving a sub?
7) Can I connect the daughter boards output directly to the inputs of a 5.1 power amp? It would save me the cost of purchasing a 5.1 pre-amp too, and probably maintain hi-fidelity due to the less components.
and last but not least
8) I read some wordings about how difficult it is to place the discrete´s in the HTPC (me having an OrigenAE S16T desktop format).
confused_face.gif
It would really help if someone could post a picture as to how to do this properly ( I like the insides of my PCs nice and tidy)
redface.gif

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I tried my best to find the answers here but wasn't succesfull enough to remove my doubts. Besides, with so much enthusiast sharing going on, I want to take part and start somewhere.

beerchug.gif
to everyone.

PietPara

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #1,324 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by pietpara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,
I'm new here and I am amazed about the great info you guys have gathered on the ST (and STX for that matter). Unfortunately the information is very disperse and I´ve been reading now for a few days in a row without really feeling I got my answers. Sometimes I feel overwhelemed and more confused.
confused_face(1).gif

I just recently bought the ST with H6 to set up my Home Cinema for 5.1. (sorry, I am not a Headphone listener). I plan to buy 4 Dynaudio 122 Audience standing speakers with a 122 Center and possibly a sub. Dynaudios are known for a very neutral but crystal clear sound with great staging. Also, I´d still like to use my High-End stereo audio equipment too (my 2 x 50W Class A pre and poweramp combo.
With all that I am very interested in modding the opamps on the ST and daughter board

Some questions I have:
1) I think I read here I will be able to use the stereo RCAs on the ST for the class A stereo pre-amp, while also having the 5.1 system connected on the H6 daughter board. Is that true?

Yes, you can connect your headphones to the cards 1/4" phon output and the system to the RCA otuputs and just switch between them.
Quote:

2) Are there not any Class A opamps? (Sorry, if this is a stupid question, as I am not an Electrical Engineer) I guess I mean opamps with MOSFETS in stead of bipolar transistors which are known to have the crossover distortion issues giving rise to the less clear and warm sound compared to a Class A or Tube.

You can bias many opamps to Class A sometimes it improves the signature and others times not so much.
Quote:

3) Is it correct that with any of the Audio-GDs you have to remove the shieldoff the ST?

Well yes, the Audio-GD discrete opamps are quite large in comparison to regular chip opamps. With some chip opamps on adapters you will also have to remove the shielding.
Quote:

4) The general consensus seems to be that the Audio-GD Earths should be used as the buffer. What is best for the I/Vs I couldn´t really make up, LMEs or also discrete?

The audio-GD earth is very Neutral so make excellent I/V converters.
Quote:

5) Is it recommendable to use the same threesome on each of the H6 daighterboard´s channels? I guess so, if all the 5 speakers are the same for the purpose of making the surround sound truly uniformly surround.

Well you can if you want your rears to sound like the fronts etc..
Quote:

6) has anyone found a good opamp combo for driving a sub?

The Center/sub channels have a seperate opamps for each channel I/V so you can use a different opamps for each. There are a few opamps that sound better for bass then others.
Quote:

7) Can I connect the daughter boards output directly to the inputs of a 5.1 power amp? It would save me the cost of purchasing a 5.1 pre-amp too, and probably maintain hi-fidelity due to the less components.

It would depend on the amplifiers inputs as the ST offers line level outputs for the RCA outs.
Quote:

and last but not least
8) I read some wordings about how difficult it is to place the discrete´s in the HTPC (me having an OrigenAE S16T desktop format).
confused_face.gif
It would really help if someone could post a picture as to how to do this properly ( I like the insides of my PCs nice and tidy)
redface.gif

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I tried my best to find the answers here but wasn't succesfull enough to remove my doubts. Besides, with so much enthusiast sharing going on, I want to take part and start somewhere.

beerchug.gif
to everyone.

PietPara

Buy the extension cables with the discrete as they allow you more options for positioning. When I tested out those units I found it easier to put the card in the lowest slot tot he bottom. Then put some anti-static medium on the bootom of the casse then allow the opamps to rest on that. However, if you needed a more permanant installation there are other ways to go about it.
Hope that helps.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #1,325 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, No. You can add it to music players and video players though if that is any help.

Yea I have used a couple of them in the past for music mostly.
I guess if I miss CMSS-3D that much I will have to buy a second audio card just to get that functionality.
Guess I will wait for your bravura review Rob.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #1,326 of 1,781
Thanks a lot Robscix!

To summarize and converge:
- Class A opamps are possible but require biasing and bias we cannot control from the ST.
Question, why would a biased Class A opamp not inherently be better than unbiased if crossover distortion is present?
- So, Audio-GD Earths as I/Vs is good and as buffer too?
- I'd indeed like all speakers to have the same 'signature' since in a surround system I'd hate to hear a sound going back to front or left to right changing its sound color. I've seen people with different center as left right speakers and that's just sounds horrific.
- Could you advise on a specific good bass opamp?
Quote:

It would depend on the amplifiers inputs as the ST offers line level outputs for the RCA outs.

Could you elaborate please? I am unfamiliar with the term "line level outputs" and won't know what to look for in the power-amps inputs.

I appreciate the help.
PietPara

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #1,327 of 1,781
Quote:

Thanks a lot Robscix!

To summarize and converge:
- Class A opamps are possible but require biasing and bias we cannot control from the ST.
Question, why would a biased Class A opamp not inherently be better than unbiased if crossover distortion is present?
- So, Audio-GD Earths as I/Vs is good and as buffer too?
- I'd indeed like all speakers to have the same 'signature' since in a surround system I'd hate to hear a sound going back to front or left to right changing its sound color. I've seen people with different center as left right speakers and that's just sounds horrific.
- Could you advise on a specific good bass opamp?

You can build the biasing circuit into an opamp adapter. There are various ways to accmplish the biasing but many people simply use a resistor to provide the biasing current to the opamp. Easy way to do it is just get a normal opamp socket and add the resistor. Place the unit between your cards socket and the opamp. You got a class A biased opamp.
However, this can improve some opamps for sound signature but on others it can degrade the sound quality. I recently purchased some components and opamps to do some class-A testing so maybe I will get to it and let you know what I find. I will drop you a PM with some pics and details.

There are a few guys around that use the Earths for I/V but use another unit for the buffer. You can use the same unit for the buffer but if you use the same unit for both I/V and buffer the negative aspects of the sound signature can compound and produce a signature you might not like. That being said it depends on the unit.
To note, the Moon will not work for the I/V as it is unstable without some circuit modifications.
I had always liked the OPA2227 for a bass opamp.
Quote:

Could you elaborate please? I am unfamiliar with the term "line level outputs" and won't know what to look for in the power-amps inputs.

I appreciate the help.
PietPara

Line level, is just a term for the signal I/O levels for consumer gear. There are actually two values that can be called line level one for consumer gear and one for recording gear. Don't worry about that though.
The idea is the audio gear is all built to have the same I/O levels, making the device all compatible with everythng else.
So, you can connect the ST to a HT receiver, amplifier, pre-amplifier..etc You can connect a CD player, tape deck, mini Disc to the inputs etc. Many people think the audio section of a PC is somehow different then other audio gear. Not so, it is just another line level audio device that can be connected to other line level gear you have. A normal HT receiver would work if that is what your looking for.
Hope that makes sense!

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #1,328 of 1,781
Yes, I understand perfectly on all fronts!
It will be interesting to see your findings with Class A. I always thought that Class A by definition can only be done with MOSFETS. I have to investigate now.

Furthermore, it sounds like the direct connection of the ST outputs to the power amp (bypassing a pre-amp) is not gonna work. From your explanation, I understand that the out of a pre-amp (as input to the power amp) would be of higher level than the standard "line levels", especially since this level also drives the volume. Probably you will hear something but the volume loevel will be very low. I guess I can just give it a try but am afraid that due to an impedance mismatch I might damage the Essence ST or the power amp´s input.
Could I damage anything by trying?

Anyway, ideally I would have liked to be able to directly connect the ST´s daughter board 5.1 outputs to a 5.1 power amp, so as not to have to purcahse a 5.1 HT receiver, since all HT receiver functionality is already present on the ST, so sort of a waste of money. I have my eyes on a great 5.1 power-amp from Rotel, I can purchase second hand.

beerchug.gif
Robscix
PietPara

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #1,329 of 1,781
The ST's line level outputs are the same as a preamp. You can connect directly to an amplifier, which I do.

Just to clarify, the H6 card is for the side/rear surrounds, center, and subwoofer. The ST has both stereo RCA outputs and a 1/4" headphone output. The stereo RCA outputs will go to the mains.

If you only have 5.1 in your room, you can use J. River Media Center and use two of the unused surround channels as another zone. You could then play music in both the room with your computer and in another room by connecting a two channel amp to the other zone.

Edit: By the way, there are no distance settings available with the ST's drivers for your speakers. I also use J. River Media Center and can set distances/levels for all speakers and it will work for music & movies. I still use the bass management in the ST drivers.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #1,330 of 1,781
Quote:

Anyway, ideally I would have liked to be able to directly connect the ST´s daughter board 5.1 outputs to a 5.1 power amp, so as not to have to purcahse a 5.1 HT receiver, since all HT receiver functionality is already present on the ST, so sort of a waste of money. I have my eyes on a great 5.1 power-amp from Rotel, I can purchase second hand.

This is exactly what I had in mind from the outset....

If at all possible I wanted to buy discrete parts for speaker/headphone amplification and avoid an AVR altogether.
Which means I'd prolly also need a video switcher, plus some way to stuff it all into my HEPC
biggrin.gif

The D2audio stuff looked really great, alas it doesn't look like other mobo OEM's are picking it up, apart from the anaemic sparkle card.

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #1,331 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ST's line level outputs are the same as a preamp. You can connect directly to an amplifier, which I do.

Just to clarify, the H6 card is for the side/rear surrounds, center, and subwoofer. The ST has both stereo RCA outputs and a 1/4" headphone output. The stereo RCA outputs will go to the mains.

If you only have 5.1 in your room, you can use J. River Media Center and use two of the unused surround channels as another zone. You could then play music in both the room with your computer and in another room by connecting a two channel amp to the other zone.

Edit: By the way, there are no distance settings available with the ST's drivers for your speakers. I also use J. River Media Center and can set distances/levels for all speakers and it will work for music & movies. I still use the bass management in the ST drivers.

Thanks for clarifying a lot. So, I can hookup my ST directly to my stereo poweramp to give that I try.
And on your EDIT, damn I just realise that indeed you cannot adjust speaker distance if your not using 7.1 in the Xonar Audio Center. There is a speaker shifter panel, but only for 7.1 speaker setup. How stupid is that?
angry_face.gif

I don't know J. River Media Center, but can have a look at it.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #1,335 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by MS3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys
Quick question - which one is "better" to buy ST, or STX?
I don't want to read 90 pages of this topic
frown.gif

Depends on what you are after. Some say they hear a difference and other say not so much. The ST offers the H6 option also for surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back