Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jul 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #346 of 1,781
so what's the diff between putting the HP after the glasses...instead of the opposite? I don't get it.

hah, your Elite Pro will be crushed...no worries
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #347 of 1,781
Has anybody here listened to both a Xonar Essence card (ST or STX) and a Lynx L22/Two? I would like to know your impressions. I want a card not just for listening but for digitizing a whole lot of Vinyl.

EDIT: I want to clarify that this is for listening over speakers, hooked up to an amp, not headphones. From what I've read, I am definitely leaning toward the L22 for the line in quality.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #348 of 1,781
FWIW, the Lynx cards use OP275s IIRC, which are not among my preferred opamps....

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #350 of 1,781
Not very transparent sounding chip... kinda compressed/EQed sounding and muddled in low-level detail for lack of a better description. Of course, that's only one aspect of the Lynx cards, which seem otherwise very well designed.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #351 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup that is the only way to do it. on top of the headphones but inside the headband of the headphones of course. Otherwise every headphone turns into a Grado
smily_headphones1.gif

I ordered the ST now. can´t wait to see how it stacks up to my receiver, Elite Pro (which will hopefully go out the window) and my Keces DAC. I wonder if the Keces have this clocking stuff will have to look it up.

Let me know how the ST stacks up agains your Keces DAC

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #352 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what's the diff between putting the HP after the glasses...instead of the opposite? I don't get it.

hah, your Elite Pro will be crushed...no worries
biggrin.gif

Since you perhaps didn´t grasp the concept I thought you maybe put your glasses outside the headphones or something
smily_headphones1.gif
It doesn´t matter if you put your headphones on before or after putting on the headphones. You just let the calms rest above the headphone pads as to not put any pressure whatsoever on your head due to the headphone clamping force. So there is no difference at all using them with or without glasses.

I will come back regarding the Keces. Now how much burn in does soundcards need to sound their best same as for external DACs?

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #353 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn´t matter if you put your headphones on before or after putting on the headphones.

I think there's a language barrier, I never understand what's it all about
redface.gif

anyway, let us know how the ST works out for you
beerchug.gif

leave a few days for the caps and op-amps to "open up"(if that makes any sense) I'd say
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #354 of 1,781
I suppose I could try german as well
biggrin.gif
... But one last attempt. Wear glasses normally. Put on headphones... The glasses calm pressure on your head and it hurts. Put glasses calm above the headphones ear cups and wear the glasses at an angle and no more pressure on the calms and thus no more pressure on your head
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #355 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skobb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much was the daughter board?
Are there any places selling this card yet that would ship to Australia?

Also, I'm new to these forums, I usually hang around the PC Audio section on OCAU and got reffered to this site the other day..
I have Logitech Z-5500s hence why I've been waiting for something that can do 5:1, but due to the err.. quality? of the speakers, will I notice much difference in quality over the ST + H6 daughter board and say.. An Auzentech Forte or Prelude?

Another thing, I've just recently started ripping my music into .FLAC, but in the past due to limited hard drive space I've been ripping my music into anything from 192kbps to 320 kbps .mp3 files.. Will I just notice no improvement with these songs, or will the card pick out all the little nuances and make the music unbearable to listen to?

Cheers
biggrin.gif

He has the H6 board because he took it off a HDAV 1.3. The H6 daughter cards are not avialable for the ST just yet. The ST Deluxe would definatley push your speaker to their limits but I think in the end they woudl be the weak link in your chain. Do you use any qaulity headphones?
If your looking for a new soudncard for music this one is a great choice, with the full 7.1 support and heapdhone amplifier.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #356 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey fine art! how do you like the ST on headphones? I was using the STX built-in HP amp w/o crossfeed, but it's mandatory for me on the ST...otherwise the stereo stage feels really strange and very fatiguing
redface.gif

but w/ the naive crossfeed plugin in foobar, it's really fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry i haven't the time to check it. I had so much work over the weekend with the roof of my house. So i couldt not make any listening test as i planed.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #357 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, not to many have the ST Deluxe model yet. How are your tests coming along?
Drop me a PM and let me know how the tests are progressing and we can compare notes.

Latest point to improof 7.1 blue-ray is on the next weekend as well for the Moon in the i/v spot i promised. last 3 days was realy stressfull with 12 hours work each day and i'am pretty much done.
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #359 of 1,781
Quote:

Keep me posted as we can compare test results.

i will drop a PM after testing.
L3000.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #360 of 1,781
Quote:

He has the H6 board because he took it off a HDAV 1.3. The H6 daughter cards are not avialable for the ST just yet. The ST Deluxe would definatley push your speaker to their limits but I think in the end they woudl be the weak link in your chain. Do you use any qaulity headphones?
If your looking for a new soudncard for music this one is a great choice, with the full 7.1 support and heapdhone amplifier.

Ahhh ok.. So I guess I'd be waiting for a bit for the ST Deluxe? Are there plans for the daughter board be sold seperately or should I wait until the ST Deluxe package comes on the market?
When I finished High School there was a 4 month gap between then and when I started full time study at TAFE, so I got a job and bought a bunch of things, including the Z-5500s, which were a big upgrade from some cheapo $60 stereo speakers I had before lol
The headphones I use are Sennheiser eH250, nothing great, but they still cost me $120 at the time, and they are definately a lot better than all the Philips, Sony etc headphones I've used in the past..
Anyway.. I'm a full-time student without a job at the moment, so I don't intend on upgrading my speakers or headphones for a good couple years..

So do you think I would still notice an improvement in quality with the ST Deluxe over the D2X or one of the Auzentech offerings with my current setup? Even with most of my music being <320kbps?
If you can honestly say that I will not notice any difference, then I might just go and get another card.. But even if I'd notice a small difference in quality, I think waiting for the ST Deluxe would be worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back