Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jul 5, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #272 of 1,781
Here is the picture of it! ITS RIGHT OF THE AV100 , MARK X1
essence_08.jpg

Jul 5, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #273 of 1,781
I think the quartz PLL is the same speed on the ST, it's just got the additional CS2000 chip to improve it : Cirrus Logic Clocking IC Family Provides Best-in-Category Jitter Performance

Quote:

CS2000: The CS2000 features both frequency synthesis/clock generation from a stable reference clock, as well as generation of a low-jitter clock relative to an external noisy synchronization clock, at frequencies as low as 50Hz.

and you'd still have the PCI-E>PCI bridge playing tricks on ya.

you're better off selling the STX and get a brand new ST for that matter. welcome to computer upgraditis
beerchug.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #275 of 1,781
Although I don't know specifics, I have some doubts about the PCI-E/PCI bridge being a problem. My suspicion is that the clocking on the DAC is where the difference lies, not the PCI data clocking.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #276 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yOU THINK there is so much difference between PCI and PCI exp?

oh yes! the SQ is less "congested", the audio is well...I've never heard anything sounding this good tbh.

they should put a big "this card will ruin your social life" sticker on the box
biggrin.gif

and this clock can fall down to up to 0.5ppm from what the datasheet says.

pursuing sonic excellence through burson/external PSU....and still using the STX doesn't make sense to me..IMVHO YMMV yada-yada.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I quoted some commercial units in brackets. the ones which uses the ICs that listed should be true NOS, if they dont use a SRC.

this guy is mixing upsampling and oversampling, or at least in his commercial fluff :
Valab NOS USB DAC TDA1543 Low Jitter 1ppm TCXO Inside - eBay (item 290315664632 end time Jun-02-09 14:59:57 PDT)

and you can bet that the DAC in this box does 32 or 64X oversampling
rolleyes.gif

and he says that he's proud to use an ancient chip, but what makes a DAC better than another is the post-filtering I think
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I don't know specifics, I have some doubts about the PCI-E/PCI bridge being a problem. My suspicion is that the clocking on the DAC is where the difference lies, not the PCI data clocking.

any reclocking should be avoided IMO. but it's new to me that PCI-E could be a problem for audio stuff ?! will dig into that
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #279 of 1,781
actually going from the DT770/250Ω to the DT770/600Ω "freed" the trebles, they became a lot clearer and transparent(the drivers are much faster).

going STX to ST is the same story, like this song for instance(lossless through DirectKS in foobar) : "Buju Banton - Hills and Valleys"

no matter what I did, the hihat sounded distorted and mangled....and now it's as bright and clear as can be!
smoking.gif

and again, the stereo image makes a lot more sense...it's like the STX wasn't really showing it to you perfectly synced
frown.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #282 of 1,781
Leeperry sir, you've got them golden ears for sure. I have the STX with me and I'm asking ASUS for an ST to review just to confirm. I wish the card was available in India it isn't ATM.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #283 of 1,781
it doesn't take golden ears to hear the improvement, just my
images

if that has any relevance, I have a sound engineer diploma and worked in a commercial studio for several years..but that doesn't mean much in the cyberworld
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back