Xonar DG enough to power DT770?
Jun 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dannyy

New Head-Fier
Hello, I just purchased the DT770 a couple days ago and I was wondering if it is enough to power the DT770 well. Would I have any significant improvement if I bought an amp?

Also for my AD700 and PortaPros, should I put the impedence to max and lower my mixer volume? Or keep it at default?

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hello, I just purchased the DT770 a couple days ago and I was wondering if it is enough to power the DT770 well. Would I have any significant improvement if I bought an amp?

Also for my AD700 and PortaPros, should I put the impedence to max and lower my mixer volume? Or keep it at default?

The DT770 Pro 250-Ohm will work half-way decently.
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm should work fine.
The ATH-AD700 should work on the low and middle gain setting of the DG.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Oh thank you.

I normally use my ad700 on the low gain, would cranking it up to the middle gain improve sound quality?

Also, If I upgrade or purchase a dedicated amp/soundcard, would the sound quality be noticeable? 

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I normally use my ad700 on the low gain, would cranking it up to the middle gain improve sound quality?
Also, If I upgrade or purchase a dedicated amp/soundcard, would the sound quality be noticeable?

The ATH-AD700 does not change that much with amping.
So I doubt a more expensive sound card will change the quality (at least not worth it for the price you would pay).
Your own ears are the best judge as to if the middle gain really improves the sound.
You can easily plug an external headphone amplifier to the Xonar DG.
Something like the Fiio E11 ($65) portable headphone amplifier is better at driving low Ohm headphones (like the 32-Ohm ATH-AD700) over sound cards.
On eBay, for $13, you can get 2 spare batteries and a separate battery charger for use with the E11.
The O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier ($155) is good at driving low and high Ohm headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back