Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor)
Nov 6, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #62 of 856
I'm assuming these are the basis for the new Xiaomi...http://www.1more.com/en/1more-phd.htm

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #63 of 856
Guys, please do stick to discussing the Pistons, and not the contents of my post. Cheers!

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #67 of 856
Good that it's available there. Bad that it's, well... price is really jacked up. Might still be worth it.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #69 of 856
This is unfair! How can a 1+2 hybrids be so cheap?!? T__T

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #70 of 856

I believe its 1+1 Hybrid and not 1+2. 1BA+1DD. But yes, even for a 2 way hybrid $16 is a cut throat pricing.
smily_headphones1.gif
 I wonder how xiaomi managed to keep the costs so low.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #71 of 856
  Herein India the pricing of Piston 2.1 and 3 were pretty much similar to China's when it got launched (via Flipkart initially then through Xiaomi's official website). Hopefully it will be the same for Piston 4 as well.

Yep, i'm waiting for flipkart to get these in stock. I remember buying my piston 2's from ebay for a hefty $25 before flipkart started selling them in india them for $15. 
biggrin.gif
  A hybrid for $16!! nope, can't pass up on that..
wink_face.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #72 of 856
  Yep, i'm waiting for flipkart to get these in stock. I remember buying my piston 2's from ebay for a hefty $25 before flipkart started selling them in india them for $15. 
biggrin.gif
  A hybrid for $16!! nope, can't pass up on that..
wink_face.gif

I guess, (like with Piston 3) Xiaomi's official Indian website (http://www.mi.com/in) will sell these for 1000 bucks in a month or two before Flipkart.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #73 of 856

I believe its 1+1 Hybrid and not 1+2. 1BA+1DD. But yes, even for a 2 way hybrid $16 is a cut throat pricing.
smily_headphones1.gif
 I wonder how xiaomi managed to keep the costs so low.

I'm going to speculate it's because many of the components (cable, mic/remote, 3.5mm jack) are identical to the ones also used on the Pistons 3.0. Since they're still manufacturing the same components, it does help to lower costs. That, and they're a massive company with factories all over China, so maybe they could pull the $16 price off without suffering too much financially. I can only wonder what compromises they made in the design, though, as from looking at the images, there deosn't seem to be much of a change in build quality from the 3.0. (EDIT: Apparently they dropped the fancy old case, instead going for a cheap cardboard box as packaging. Pretty sure that's how they managed to cut costs enough to not compromise the IEMs themselves.)

In other news, apparently someone managed to acquire a unit of the Hybrid long before any of us here on Head-Fi and has written a review about it here: http://www.neowin.net/news/review-of-the-xiaomi-hybrid-earphones-xiaomi-have-done-it-again

TBH there's nothing too fishy about the review -- it seems pretty legit as far as I can tell. His sound impressions seem to denote a similar sound signature to the 2.0 instead of the 3.0, so from what I'm seeing here, it's a little worrying. However, I'm a little appalled as to why he said that Xiaomi is "discontinuing the Pistons line" or something like that. As far as I know there is absolutely no evidence supporting this fact, especially considering how the 3.0 is still being sold by Xiaomi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back