XiangSheng DAC-05A thoughts?
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #32 of 64
Hi, I thought the M8 Dac was good value for money, but couldn't understand some of the reviews I saw posted about it. Better than most internal dacs, but not what I would call an Audiophile Dac.

Jun 17, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #35 of 64
There are so many Dacs around, it's a minefield trying to chose one, that's why I continued using the M8 for so long, but I'm glad I made a decision and went for this one. There maybe comparable dacs for the same sort of money, but for me it's money well spent. Great improvement imho.

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #37 of 64
Yes, it has dual Ak 4495 se.
I have connected both the solid state and tube outputs to my preamp so I can switch between the two.

They both sound very good. Tube output has a warmer sound with softer airier bass, but still sounds very clear through mid and treble regions. I haven't made my mind up about which presentation I prefer.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #38 of 64
Hi all,

I just got a Xiang Sheng DAC-05A and have the following to share:

1. Mine, too, has a poorly finished black casing that looks unevenly painted up top. That aside, I find the all black version better looking but most places that charge the least seem to only have the one with brushed silver plate version with black body in stock. Seems like an easy fix to address the uneven paint up top.

2. I noticed a problem with XLR OUT on my DAC-05A. There's static noise coming out of the left headphone cup and left speaker, intermittently. If I use the RCA OUT I don't get the intermittent static. When I remove the DAC from the chain, I also don't get the static. So it seems to be an issue with the XLR OUT on the DAC.

Could other owners please give XLR OUT a try on theirs?

3. Overall I like the sound I get using this DAC. It seems that without it and connected to my laptop's headphone jack directly, there's less definition and separation. Songs sound more chaotic or mushed together, for lack of better words at the moment. With the DAC, everything seems better spaced and more coherent. I'll need to do more testing to see if this is just my imagination or not. Even my phone's headphone jack seems to sound better in these aspects than the jack on my laptop.

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #39 of 64
Hi all,

I just got a Xiang Sheng DAC-05A and have the following to share:

1. Mine, too, has a poorly finished black casing that looks unevenly painted up top. That aside, I find the all black version better looking but most places that charge the least seem to only have the one with brushed silver plate version with black body in stock. Seems like an easy fix to address the uneven paint up top.

2. I noticed a problem with XLR OUT on my DAC-05A. There's static noise coming out of the left headphone cup and left speaker, intermittently. If I use the RCA OUT I don't get the intermittent static. When I remove the DAC from the chain, I also don't get the static. So it seems to be an issue with the XLR OUT on the DAC.

Could other owners please give XLR OUT a try on theirs?

3. Overall I like the sound I get using this DAC. It seems that without it and connected to my laptop's headphone jack directly, there's less definition and separation. Songs sound more chaotic or mushed together, for lack of better words at the moment. With the DAC, everything seems better spaced and more coherent. I'll need to do more testing to see if this is just my imagination or not. Even my phone's headphone jack seems to sound better in these aspects than the jack on my laptop.

Hello corinthos...

I bought the silver front/black case model. No paint problems and no XLR noise problem. But my blue "on" LED blinks on/off whenever it wants to, I plan to break out the soldering iron and find it a better source of juice.

I am using the 05A connected via XLR to a fully balanced Headphone Amp. Your description of things sounding "mushy and chaotic" outside of this DAC is exactly correct. I am getting clarity and details, I never imagined possible from sources that I am very familiar with.

Despite the flawed LED power issue, I am very happy with my 05A balanced "dual mono" DAC.

Cheers...

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #40 of 64
Anybody here use the DAC-05A in balanced mode?

The spec says it pushes 9V on balanced output. This seems way too high for the rest of my chain.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #41 of 64
Anybody here use the DAC-05A in balanced mode?

The spec says it pushes 9V on balanced output. This seems way too high for the rest of my chain.

<edit> Maybe they mean 4.5V per channel? </edit>

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #42 of 64
Just received the Xiang Sheng DAC 05B yesterday, using the SS out to my aune x7s to HD600. Before this purchase I was using the aune T1 (dac/amp combo) for about 5 years... listening to the 05B without any burn in, it already sounds very nice, definitly more analytical and more bass impact. I will get use to the SS stage first and then try the tube. Indeed a very good product for the price!

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #43 of 64
Dual AK4495SEs / tube / solid state differential output with XMOS 208 ....and better than SMSL M8 that has no negative reviews.
It is promising.
Can you guys post your reviews?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back