XiangSheng DAC-05A thoughts?
Feb 17, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 64
I wonder if you could give a feedback on how the tube output compares to the SS output on the 05B dac.

I have to say, as much as a lot of people want to say "a dac is a dac" I just don't think so, and here's an example.

Out of the same headphones and listening to the same song, if you switch to the solid state, you get a very complete, powerful clear sound. Like it's saying "I'm outputting everything that's going on in your music, exactly like I found it coming in."

But from the tube stage of the DAC to the tube stage of the headamp... it definitely loses a dB or two, but the sound is... less analytical and more musical. Sweeter? More refined? You can't miss the difference.

For example, right at the beginning of Kool And The Gang's "Jungle Boogie" there's a cymbal crash and then the horn section plays these two rising blasts. From the ss output, the horns have a thrilling kind of sound. It's exciting, and really vibrant. But from the tube stage, those two blasts take on a more musical feel that I prefer.

I think an audiophile who loves analytical sound would be 100% happy with the ss output, and someone who likes a bit warmer sound would never move the RCAs from the tube output.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #17 of 64
I am loving the build quality. Nice solid 1/4" thick aluminum face plate, pretty standard "we do not mess around" Chinese arrangement on the back - symmetrical, gold plated and such.

I run the balanced XLR outs to my monitors (which I like but everyone else hates), so I'm not going to comment on that.

The finish of the front is good. But the paint on the top is uneven on mine (I can certainly fix it with spray paint) and the blue 'power on' led comes on and goes off when it wants to. Sometime flickers, just looked over, it's completely off now, but is playing music, dandy.

Does sound good though, and that is the important thing.

Sounds better to me that the fecal matter Modi Multi 2 that I bought and thought sounded exactly like my 2009 Musical Fidelity V-DAC. Did a blind test and could not distinguish the Modi 2 from the V-DAC and thus returned it (was out the shipping and the 5% restocking fee).

((( Blue LED is now blinking, on/off ))) May have to go in and find it a steadier supply of juice....

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #18 of 64
((( Blue LED is now blinking, on/off ))) May have to go in and find it a steadier supply of juice....

Ouch, that sucks. I hope mine doesn't do that.

But yeah, I had the Schiit Lyr 2 amp and it did not sound as good as the 708B. It could be an impedance matching thing, I don't know, but this DAC/amp combo sure does pair well with the headphones I have.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #19 of 64
My balanced amp arrived today. I must say that I am very pleased. Dramatic realism, and a sense of "being there" that makes my spirit soar.

This is what it's all about, fantastic tunes...the DAC-05A is a bargain, for the purity it delivers.
Hats off to Xiang Sheng for a great sounding balanced DAC.

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 64
Hi thesundancekid, could you please test the background noise of the DAC-05B + 708B with your 846 IEMs connected directly to 6.3mm plug and volume to the min.? I would expect the background to be black as night with volume to the min., but only you can test that for us. :)

Of course, perfect silence inside the room is a must. Also, please check if increasing the volume (without signal cables connected!) increases the background noise (it will do that, just how much noise is in there)?

PCM1794A should have a lower background noise than PCM1795A chip and AFAIK this is the best TI chip DAC still selling around and supporting DSD (it's actually similar with PCM1792A, but this one can't handle DSD at all).

Thank you!

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #24 of 64
Hi, balanced jacks are definitely Solid State output.

Got my one a few weeks ago.

Sounded very good out of the box, but in search of wringing every last drop out of it, now in the process of modding a few parts.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 64
Thanks for your reply! Appreciate it.

Would love to know what mods you're thinking about as you move forward. I've actually been using the XiangSheng 728A preamp for about a year now. Replaced the tubes with NOS early 70s Mullards and couldn't be happier. Really impressive pre for the money. (I have the one without sound controls, but actually have that one with sound control still in an unopened box...)

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #26 of 64
Hi, I,ve also got the 728 preamp, but with tone controls. Checked the photos that were on line and from what I could see, bypassing tone controls would amount to having no tone control version, apart from theoretical downgrading of sound as it goes through switches.

I had an earlier version, purchaser about 6-7 years ago, didn't get on with it at all. The new versions are a massive improvement.

On to Dac.

I replaced the tube output coupling capacitors with Mundorf's, replaced the solid state output coupling capacitors with Russian K73-16s, Fitted new transformer to run the digital part of circuitry, built Kubota type psu to supply 15-0 15 to solid state audio part, upgraded electrolytic smoothing caps and fitted film and electrolytic caps for local opamp decoupling. Upgraded op amps to 49990.

Vast improvement.

Now decided to go a step further and upgrade to bursons discrete opamps, just waiting for them now.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #28 of 64
Dear friends,

Anyone compared this dac to the SMSL M8 or the Topping d30?

Or against more tradicional DACs?

Does this mean an upgrade sonicaly over the XS dac 01?

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #29 of 64
I have been using the SMSL M8 for last couple of years. In my opinion there is no comparison. The Dac 05 is far better. Detailed, smooth, good imaging and real depth to it's sound. Qualities that I never got from th SMSL.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #30 of 64
I read very good reviews and talked to people that really love the SMSL M8 over DACs that cost 3000 euros. So, thats why I am asking, and I am not talking about 1 or 2 people.

The XS dacs seem to be very well done.
What version do you have? I went online and disco e red you can pick several chips. Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back