XiangSheng DAC-05A thoughts?
Jun 4, 2017 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

AndyDandy

New Head-Fier
I'm curious if anyone has any impressions, thoughts or opinions about it. It retails on average for $250.

4wcWWpR.jpg

4wcWWpR.jpg

IrpuOCa.jpg

XAeFCSq.jpg

N2wlILw.jpg

Here are some of its specifications:

Single Dimensions: width 330mm, depth 220mm, height 70mm

Frequency response: 20Hz-35KHz

SNR: general port output: 110dB

Harmonic distortion: General port output: <0.001%

Support 24bit digital stream below
Supports the following sampling frequency: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz

Output Level: Balanced output 9V,

Standard output 2V

Dynamic Range: balanced output greater than 120dB, unbalanced output is greater than 110dB
Input impedance: 1101017 AES / 120 ohms, other digital interfaces / 75 ohms

Line Output Impedance: 600 ohms

Net Weight: 2.5Kg,

Input voltage: 110v, 220v-240v 60/50Hz.

Product Description:

USB receive use TE8802L 24bit / 192K, which is a work in asynchronous or adaptive mode of high-end chip,1101017 of course, this machine is the asynchronous mode, it can effectively reduce the jitter values.

HIFI EXQUIS TE8802L is TE7022L upgraded version chip, QFP128 pin mode.

USB part will directly use TE8802L's IIS out signal to link with PCM1794A decoder chip

Decoder part use two PCM1794 with each for one channel on mono mode, with mono mode, PCM1794 can give a best effectif

Use 9 Korea produced OP2604AP op-amps, Respectively for Balanced or Standard output and LPF

5 inputs: AES balanced input, USB, RCA Coaxial, BNC Coaxial, Optical.

AES use pulse transformer coupling
USB state indicator in front panel
Use US's DALE and Japan's TKD top resistors

Use all top audio capacitors
Amplification chip 1101017 use wel-know TDA1521

Use customized 20ppm Crystal oscillator

Use all teflon sliver-plated inside single or double wire

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 64
I contacted one of the sellers and they said that it has dual PCM1794A chips inside.

For a point of comparison, the Teac UD-301 has PCM1795 chips. They also said that the PCM1794A chips are more musical than the PCM1795. Well the chips don't matter too much, it's the implementation of it.

I'm going to buy this product in a few weeks time and I'll give some impressions.

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 64
I bought the Dac-01A just out of interest a few months ago. It was completely unfair but I was comparing it to a Dave. However I thought it was quite remarkable and sounded very good indeed.

I would very interested to se what @AndyDandy thinks of the 05A.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 64
Unfortunately not. I decided against buying the product because money is tight for me these last few months and I've had lots of other stuff to deal with. If I can I WILL buy this DAC but I cannot give a date. When I do I'll revive this thread.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 64
05B.jpg
708B1.jpg
708B2.jpg
Well, surprise surprise, they came today... I know this is the 05B, and slightly different than the one above, but good lord the build quality! I mean, the Chinese do NOT mess around when they build these things. Every bit as beautiful as an Audio g-d. And, each unit includes a thick, quality USB cable that's clear with braided silvery shielding over the internal wires and they just scream "we care what your music sounds like - and we want it to sound good."

I just started hooking them up and I have to test everything because this multibit DAC can output from it's tube stage or solid state via RCA, and it has balanced XLR outs that I am running to KRK Rockit 5's. Also, the 708B headphone amp is tube, and has a preamp stage, so I can run from it to the KRKs via RCA, and see what that sounds like.

So, a lot of testing to do but holy cow, these are nice. The faceplates on these are an honest to god 1/4" thick of just machined and brushed aluminum. Hnnnnggggg. So pretty.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #12 of 64
I knew I should've recognized that cable at a glance! How did your 846 take to them?

The bass extension is unreal. After I sold my other stuff I was just listening out of my PC and I thought "Man, I used to think these were great and now I don't..."

Duh. I should have known. As soon as I plugged them into the powerful tubey goodness I was like "Ohhhhh, there are my 846's."

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 64
I bought the DAC-05A, received it a few days ago.
After some confusion regarding the 120/240 voltage switch (mine appears to be labeled backwards), it works.

Sounds better than other dacs I had on hand (which were from 2009 and prior). Definitely has a weightier bass note, which I like.
Channel seperation is also noticably more distinct.

Using the SE output at the moment, have a balanced amp inbound.
Will comment on the balanced out when I have heard it, but very satisfied with the SE output.
Case quality is not that snazzy, but neither was the price of the unit.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 64
The bass extension is unreal. After I sold my other stuff I was just listening out of my PC and I thought "Man, I used to think these were great and now I don't..."

Duh. I should have known. As soon as I plugged them into the powerful tubey goodness I was like "Ohhhhh, there are my 846's."
I wonder if you could give a feedback on how the tube output compares to the SS output on the 05B dac.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 64
Case quality is not that snazzy, but neither was the price of the unit.

I am loving the build quality. Nice solid 1/4" thick aluminum face plate, pretty standard "we do not mess around" Chinese arrangement on the back - symmetrical, gold plated and such.

I run the balanced XLR outs to my monitors (which I like but everyone else hates), so I'm not going to comment on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back