XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #3,468 of 5,194
The majority of my files are m4a copied from itunes library.
I'm still curious if this is just a display type of issue in Rockbox and if the battery will last longer than indicated?
I develop software and usually if it's something in the software (firmware) it will effect everyone, not a select few which is rather odd.
Like Bob, I'm not happy with Xduoo (although I love the player) and their lack of response to any issues. I looked at the number of firmware
releases for the X2 and misguidedly thought they would do the same for the X3.
I won't recommend the x3 to anyone without a strong caveat about lack of support and the need to rockbox.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #3,469 of 5,194
  The majority of my files are m4a copied from itunes library.
I'm still curious if this is just a display type of issue in Rockbox and if the battery will last longer than indicated?
I develop software and usually if it's something in the software (firmware) it will effect everyone, not a select few which is rather odd.
Like Bob, I'm not happy with Xduoo (although I love the player) and their lack of response to any issues. I looked at the number of firmware
releases for the X2 and misguidedly thought they would do the same for the X3.
I won't recommend the x3 to anyone without a strong caveat about lack of support and the need to rockbox.

Yeah, for sure it'll be a software problem, in fact I sent a pm to XVortex telling him that I'll provide him a battery bench to fix the problem but still no response... Plus I found on the net how to modify some source file to have a more accurate battery calibration, but I'm not good ad all in compiling source and related. If possibile, I could post the link here or what the guy did, hoping someone will be better than me in compiling
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #3,470 of 5,194
Wish I could help with that but I'm a mainframe type, all this linux stuff just confuses me... give me MVS assembler anyday.
hmm, might have to teach myself linux OS and whatever language this is written in.
I'm surprized about this being software issue, and if so why doesn't it show up on everyone's X3 ?
I haven't timed it but I'm getting a good 9 to 10 hours per charge
I keep reading threads about DAPs and am happy to say that firmware issues are not limited to Xduoo only, nor companies
ignoring them.
I'm pretty impressed with the Opus-Audio Opus#1 reviews and the companies willingness to fix firmware errors, might be my
next 'upgrade'.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #3,471 of 5,194
Quote:
  Wish I could help with that but I'm a mainframe type, all this linux stuff just confuses me... give me MVS assembler anyday.
hmm, might have to teach myself linux OS and whatever language this is written in.
I'm surprized about this being software issue, and if so why doesn't it show up on everyone's X3 ?
I haven't timed it but I'm getting a good 9 to 10 hours per charge
I keep reading threads about DAPs and am happy to say that firmware issues are not limited to Xduoo only, nor companies
ignoring them.
I'm pretty impressed with the Opus-Audio Opus#1 reviews and the companies willingness to fix firmware errors, might be my
next 'upgrade'.

Yeah, just some people here had the battery drain issue and I don't know why at all. Maybe because people listen to their songs in different ways, i.e. I skip a lot of songs and this drains the battery very fast. I have my x3 since two weeks, I can't choose another one too much expensive. The best qualities of the x3 is that is cheap, lot of memory and I think is the best choise for the newbies as I am.

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #3,472 of 5,194
  Quote:
Yeah, just some people here had the battery drain issue and I don't know why at all. Maybe because people listen to their songs in different ways, i.e. I skip a lot of songs and this drains the battery very fast. I have my x3 since two weeks, I can't choose another one too much expensive. The best qualities of the x3 is that is cheap, lot of memory and I think is the best choise for the newbies as I am.

ah, I see now... I don't usually skip track, just set it to shuffle play and let it go... that makes sense.
I agree best qualities are 'cheap, lots of memory' I'd add good sound to that. Definitely a good intro to DAPs if you're willing to
rockbox it due to pitch errors.
The Opus-Audio is about 5x the cost of the X3 and it's considered mid-fi... the AK380 is 240 x the cost of the X3. The Opus has dual CS4398 chips so I'm guessing there's a similar sound to the X3, it has on board memory and 2 microSD slots with support up to 256G cards.
but you know what they say, "you get what you pay for" (although not so sure that applies to AK! )

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #3,473 of 5,194
  ah, I see now... I don't usually skip track, just set it to shuffle play and let it go... that makes sense.
I agree best qualities are 'cheap, lots of memory' I'd add good sound to that. Definitely a good intro to DAPs if you're willing to
rockbox it due to pitch errors.
The Opus-Audio is about 5x the cost of the X3 and it's considered mid-fi... the AK380 is 240 x the cost of the X3. The Opus has dual CS4398 chips so I'm guessing there's a similar sound to the X3, it has on board memory and 2 microSD slots with support up to 256G cards.
but you know what they say, "you get what you pay for" (although not so sure that applies to AK! )

The AK would be my dream ahahah!
Yes, a good sound as long as you have a good pair of headphones. I have a pair of cheap xiaomi that sounds almost good but started wanting something more. I ordered a pair of Piston3 but they have to arrive yet. Any advice on a good pair of cheap in-ear or over-ear? Around 30 bucks and not more than this?

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,474 of 5,194
  The AK would be my dream ahahah!
Yes, a good sound as long as you have a good pair of headphones. I have a pair of cheap xiaomi that sounds almost good but started wanting something more. I ordered a pair of Piston3 but they have to arrive yet. Any advice on a good pair of cheap in-ear or over-ear? Around 30 bucks and not more than this?

I'm not so sure about the Astell & Kern, read some of the threads, there's better or as good performance for much less.
I'm an 'old school' audiophile if I can use that term, and I have a complete opposite philosophy when it comes to this new fangled digital stuff. I spend more on IEMs and cable than I do on source gear (thus the Xduoo). I've recently upgraded from Westone UM1 to UM Pro 30s. I think you get more bang for the buck on IEMs or headphones thank the source. I did it all on the cheap... ebay for the UM Pro, and caught a DIY sale at Double Helix cables on some experimental cables (got 6 strand peptide cable for less than $50, spent an additional $75 to have them terminated).
I hear good things about the Dunu Titan 1 IEMs for about $50 on ebay. I used some Sennheisers think they were CX 300's, lots of bass but I wasn't impressed with the sound. I'd say check the reviews here, there are some very favorably reviewed IEMs for not a whole lot of money.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #3,475 of 5,194
The patch vortex posted doesn't include a calibration for the runtime estimation,so the battery remaining time is probably random. The battery gauge is calibrated though, so the battery percentage should be correct.

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #3,476 of 5,194
The patch vortex posted doesn't include a calibration for the runtime estimation,so the battery remaining time is probably random. The battery gauge is calibrated though, so the battery percentage should be correct.

Well I'm going to post the bench when it'll be ready, so maybe, who wants, can work on it. I'll try to find a solution too, maybe recompiling and reconfiguring from the source, but I repeat, I'm not a programmer at all, I'm just a guy who wants a nice rockbox port with decent battery life. Probably I'll try to follow this guide taken from anythingbutipod.

I'm going to change my Battery in my Clip+ and was looking for a way to change the Battery time remaining setting in Rockbox. Unfortunately I didn't find any instructions . But I did find the solution.

For someone who is interested in having an accurate battery Time remaining display here is a how to.

Run a battery bench before to know the Voltages on % Levels

You have to edit Rockbox source files and compile Rockbox for it to work.

Voltage % Levels
Edit the Numbers according to what your battery bench results were.
rockbox\firmware\target\arm\as3525\sansa-clipplus\powermgmt-clipplus.c

/* voltages (millivolt) of 0%, 10%, ... 100% when charging disabled */
const unsigned short percent_to_volt_discharge[BATTERY_TYPES_COUNT][11] =
{
{ 3300, 3653, 3701, 3735, 3768, 3790, 3833, 3900, 3966, 4056, 4140 }
};

Battery time remaining aka Battery Capacity
The standard Clip+ battery capacity is 290 mAh
If you only wish to set a permanent capacity set the lines CAPACITY_DEFAULT/MIN/MAX to same Value and CAPACITY_INC to 0

If you however wish to play around from within Rockbox menu set the Values as you see fit. My new battery will be 2200 mAh so this are my example settings

rockbox\firmware\export\config\sansaclipplus.h
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_DEFAULT 290 /* default battery capacity */
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_MIN 290 /* min. capacity selectable */
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_MAX 2200 /* max. capacity selectable */
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_INC 50 /* capacity increment */

Battery charging speed and duration

If you have Replaced for a High Capacity Battery you may notice that it takes very long time to recharge and that the charging process terminates after some hours. To speed up the charging and prolong the charging duration you can edit the following file. The as3525 supports up to 400mA for charging according to datasheet.

rockbox\firmware\target\arm\as3525\powermgmt-target.h

#elif defined(SANSA_CLIPPLUS)

/* Check if topped-off and monitor voltage while plugged. */
#define BATT_FULL_VOLTAGE 4160
#define BATT_VAUTO_RECHARGE 4100
#define BATT_CHG_V CHG_V_4_20V
#define BATT_CHG_I CHG_I_350MA
#define CHARGER_TOTAL_TIMER (6*3600*2) /* about 1.5 * capacity / current */

and the line in rockbox\firmware\export\config\sansaclipplus.h

/* maximum charging current */
#define CURRENT_MAX_CHG 350

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #3,477 of 5,194

Well I'm going to post the bench when it'll be ready, so maybe, who wants, can work on it. I'll try to find a solution too, maybe recompiling and reconfiguring from the source, but I repeat, I'm not a programmer at all, I'm just a guy who wants a nice rockbox port with decent battery life. Probably I'll try to follow this guide taken from anythingbutipod.

I'm going to change my Battery in my Clip+ and was looking for a way to change the Battery time remaining setting in Rockbox. Unfortunately I didn't find any instructions . But I did find the solution.

For someone who is interested in having an accurate battery Time remaining display here is a how to.

Run a battery bench before to know the Voltages on % Levels

You have to edit Rockbox source files and compile Rockbox for it to work.

Voltage % Levels
Edit the Numbers according to what your battery bench results were.
rockbox\firmware\target\arm\as3525\sansa-clipplus\powermgmt-clipplus.c

/* voltages (millivolt) of 0%, 10%, ... 100% when charging disabled */
const unsigned short percent_to_volt_discharge[BATTERY_TYPES_COUNT][11] =
{
{ 3300, 3653, 3701, 3735, 3768, 3790, 3833, 3900, 3966, 4056, 4140 }
};

Battery time remaining aka Battery Capacity
The standard Clip+ battery capacity is 290 mAh
If you only wish to set a permanent capacity set the lines CAPACITY_DEFAULT/MIN/MAX to same Value and CAPACITY_INC to 0

If you however wish to play around from within Rockbox menu set the Values as you see fit. My new battery will be 2200 mAh so this are my example settings

rockbox\firmware\export\config\sansaclipplus.h
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_DEFAULT 290 /* default battery capacity */
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_MIN 290 /* min. capacity selectable */
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_MAX 2200 /* max. capacity selectable */
#define BATTERY_CAPACITY_INC 50 /* capacity increment */

Battery charging speed and duration

If you have Replaced for a High Capacity Battery you may notice that it takes very long time to recharge and that the charging process terminates after some hours. To speed up the charging and prolong the charging duration you can edit the following file. The as3525 supports up to 400mA for charging according to datasheet.

rockbox\firmware\target\arm\as3525\powermgmt-target.h

#elif defined(SANSA_CLIPPLUS)

/* Check if topped-off and monitor voltage while plugged. */
#define BATT_FULL_VOLTAGE 4160
#define BATT_VAUTO_RECHARGE 4100
#define BATT_CHG_V CHG_V_4_20V
#define BATT_CHG_I CHG_I_350MA
#define CHARGER_TOTAL_TIMER (6*3600*2) /* about 1.5 * capacity / current */

and the line in rockbox\firmware\export\config\sansaclipplus.h

/* maximum charging current */
#define CURRENT_MAX_CHG 350

If only Vortex didn't choose to make his port a closed source fork, this would be trivilal to do.
but it isn't, so it's not!!!!!!!

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #3,478 of 5,194
  Large number of songs can be a culprit, but I am only playing from folders. Will it still create a dynamic playlist? I have all FLAC 's into one folder, but lots of MP3 as well. Anyway I will format it once again. Because I got the 'panic cache' thing multiple times yesterday. 

Honestly I'm not sure what's causing your problems.  I have two 128Gb mSD cards loaded with FLAC files that are in individual album folders.  As I've posted before:

With this approach I've had no battery or panic cache issues.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #3,479 of 5,194

If only Vortex didn't choose to make his port a closed source fork, this would be trivilal to do.
but it isn't, so it's not!!!!!!!

Vapman,
  I'm confused.  Vortex posted his source code on GitHub which I assumed was open since it's disclosed.   What's a "closed source fork"?
THX

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #3,480 of 5,194
Vapman,
  I'm confused.  Vortex posted his source code on GitHub which I assumed was open since it's disclosed.   What's a "closed source fork"?
THX

Good point, what I really meant is that it's a fork of an older version of rockbox, and isn't in line with the official rockbox development.

So someome could do work on vortex's port, but then it'd be a fork of a fork of an outdated rockbox and that's where things can get ugly.

FYI I still don't understand the hate on the stock FW, if the pitch issue is there I can't hear it but I can tune a piano(properly)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back